Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink surf ringtones

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Cough, cough....ahem...

Smile Smile Smile

I just got a new crackberry and I'm itching to have some cool surf ringtones!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Oh yeah. Well let me finish with a certain project in hand and then we'll see.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Smile

No worries. You have many plates in the air right now. Thumbs Up

But anyone else: please feel free to create some ringtones.

Brian - I uploaded one ringtone as a test. If it works, I'll add more. Lemme know.
Frank

CUTBACK

Dead Thread

Laughing

There's always the do-it-yourself approach.

I am not really a cellular sort of person, but I was curious about ringtones when my daughters started sprouting them, so I did a little looking into it.

In general, you can usually find a piece of software than is able to generate them either for your model of phone, or for some standard format of ringtone file (yes - working standards anyway) that your phone understands. There are generic packages for sale in computer stores or online, and usually the phone maker has something, too. A little research is called for, of course. I started in a computer store and at the web site of my daughters' cell phone vendor of choice and worked inward like any good veteran of a series of math classes.

Another issue is making sure you have whatever hardware is needed to allow you to upload the file to the phone. The options vary with the phone. With T Mobile there was an expensive BlueTooth solution and a cheapo serial solution. Or was it a USB solution? I forget the details.

Generally what you end up with is a sort of graphical music editor that lets you maneuver start and stop bars on a graphical display of a sound file. You can play the intervening selection to decide if you have what you want. When you are happy you generate the file and transfer it to your phone. The editor may or may not allow you to add effects like echo, fade, voice over, and additional sounds. It may or may not allow you to append together several scraps from the same or several files.

I'm not sure if this process is considered legal or not, assuming we are starting with a file that you have purchased media for and are only using the ring yourself. That is, are you just playing a short fragment of a song on the player of your choice, which happens to be a cellphone instead of your car stero, or are you applying a commercial product for a new use?

Let us assume the first.

Having purchased my software and looked over my Real Player selection, I was able to generate a decidedly cool, if somewhat obtrusive Datona Mona ring tone, but lacking an actual cellphone it was never tested. I would have bought the daughters Slacktone CDs (any time, kids) so that they could test it, but by that point that had decided that ring tones ate into their storage for pictures. Or at least it was not worth storing any special ringtones for Dad ... Hmm. Maybe the problem was that they were afraid I would call them when they were in a public place or with friends?

Note that some bands participate in commercial ringtone marketing schemes. For example, Susan & the Surftones did at one point. Maybe still. Haven't looked recently, but if you get desperate ... after all, what is a cell phone without a surf tone?

If you have an iPhone, iTunes will let you create a ringtone from any song you've purchased. I didn't realize it was just for iPhone when i was playing with it, but you can set the start point anywhere in the song, and run up to 30 seconds. Wish they had it for other phones. Sad

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Yeah, I know I can make my own from my own CD collection, but I wanted a super cool Danny Snyder ring tone. Smile

Laughing How about a surfguitar101 theme song ringtone? I'll work on it soon.

Danny Snyder

_

I was thinking the same thing Danny!

Brian
Yeah, I know I can make my own from my own CD collection. Smile

Brian, would you be willing to share this tech info? (until such time we can get a supercool Danny ringtone)

Brian
Yeah, I know I can make my own from my own CD collection, but I wanted a super cool Danny Snyder ring tone. Smile

What?! You don't have his CDs? Man, you may be too late!

No, wait, you can use the first few bars of Claire de Lune off the SG101 downloads. Warning, do not assign this one to an ex-girlfriend if you are married, because it is (a) beautiful and (b) thick with a sort of "what might have been" quality. More of a Yesterday Men sort of song altogether. Anyway, doing that would be a good way to become history.

seafoam_johnny
Brian, would you be willing to share this tech info? (until such time we can get a supercool Danny ringtone)

Well Tuck outlined the process in some detail on the previous page.

But for my phone, all I have to do is plop down an mp3 in a certain directory in the phone's flash memory. Connect the phone to my pc via USB, then drag & drop a mp3 file into a designated directory. Then use my phone to pick that ringtone.

Tuck

Brian

What?! You don't have his CDs? Man, you may be too late!

No, wait, you can use the first few bars of Claire de Lune off the SG101 downloads. Warning, do not assign this one to an ex-girlfriend if you are married, because it is (a) beautiful and (b) thick with a sort of "what might have been" quality. More of a Yesterday Men sort of song altogether. Anyway, doing that would be a good way to become history.

Very Happy Thanks Tuck. I think the word you may be looking for is (b) Wistful. A good way to describe the emotion of that beautiful piece of music (Debussy's not mine)

Danny Snyder

_

Brian
But for my phone, all I have to do is plop down an mp3 in a certain directory in the phone's flash memory. Connect the phone to my pc via USB, then drag & drop a mp3 file into a designated directory. Then use my phone to pick that ringtone.

You'd also need a sound editing tool to edit down and/or augment the basic song file. Even a 1:40 song would be a bit long for a ringtone. (I once put a 10 minute song on my answering machine for a message to see if I could do it and then forgot to switch back to the regular message after the experiment. My easily irritated boss of the time was not that amused.)

Based on my limited experience you want to be able to clip out some short characteristic segment of the file, fade it a bit at the ends, maybe give it some echo and maybe add a more ring-like sequence at the end: teke-teke-teke-teke-rrring. The editing may entail first converting the mp3 to some other format for editing and then back. If you have a typical analog audio to digital program it might work as an editor in a pinch. They usually have a way to clip one track out of several that come in as one large file. Just clip out a really small piece.

The phone I was targeting did not use mp3 format files, but it would have been nice if it had. Sounds like they're getting smarter.

Yeah, you definitely need to edit the file first. Audacity is a good free (as in speech and as in beer) program for such a purpose.

Danny uploaded some ringtones. Check 'em out. Thanks Danny!

My current alert tone for texts, voicemails, and emails and what not is a reverb crash.
It's definitely rad, but quite alarming at 5 am getting texts from drunk friends, haha.

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

prestonwatson
Hi Danny,
First of all thanks for letting us know that there are websites that allows to upload ringtones from our own computer. You have a good idea about having a section in the “Download” area for ringtones. It is really appreciable. Always keep us update with such information. Thanks.

Your welcome Preston. Are you a surf music fan or here because of the ringtones?

Danny Snyder

_

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next