PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
7 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink HELL yes!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 16:03:22

bomboraboy

In Europe you get two new Japanese Jaguars for the price of what one AVRI costs here.

here in switzerland you even get three japanese for an AVRI. doesn't this mean they are three times as good?

I would be very surprised if an AVRI could be considered "three times as good" as a CIJ. However, as I don't have any AVRI experience at all, you'll have to ask someone who have played both an AVRI and an European/Japanese retailed CIJ.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas

bomboraboy

In Europe you get two new Japanese Jaguars for the price of what one AVRI costs here.

here in switzerland you even get three japanese for an AVRI. doesn't this mean they are three times as good?

I would be very surprised if an AVRI could be considered "three times as good" as a CIJ. However, as I don't have any AVRI experience at all, you'll have to ask someone who have played both an AVRI and an European/Japanese retailed CIJ.

The two AVs I've owned were like 10 times better Klas. My main grief with the CIJ is that they lack the deep trem pocket that the AV has. It's not a "real" Jaguar if you can't push that trem unit down as far as you could on the originals. Even if you replaced the CIJ unit with a AV I don't know if you could still get that depth out of the AV piece in the CIJ body.

Pickups on the AV, the saddles, the switches, the finish, and the case made the AV a more superior guitar to the CIJ models I've played, guess I'm lucky I live in America, but I'd rather have one AV than 2 or 3 CIJS.

I think the main bit about the Jaguar sound is the short scale and top loading string bridge which the import models do have.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

???? I have a CIJ and I can lay the trembar flat against the body without any issues whatsoever, which drops the low E small 6th to G# , and the high e a tad more. (though it puzzles me why you would want to go that far for surf music)

I played an AVRI jag a while ago in a store and it looked 10 times better than my CIJ (the finish, the chrome, the neck tint, the tort guard, even the tremolo tip), but i didnt care for the neck at all, I like the playability of my CIJ a lot better, and it didnt sound good either. prolly lousy strings and maybe the amp.

the way the euro-dollar is now, an ebay CIJ + pup upgrade will be about 700 euros, ie over a grand .....

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I don't doubt that the AVRI is the better guitar of the two but I do doubt I would think it's worth twice the money of a CIJ.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 16:03:16

Then there's always the question if the U.S. retailed CIJs were of lower quality than the ones that retails in Japan and Europe.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I've got two Jags, a 1996 MIJ and a 2003 AVRI. The MIJ is upgraded with US pickups and hardware, and is a pretty nice guitar. I've had problems with previous MIJ Jags and JMs bottoming out the trem, but this one doesn't. I think the spring is as much a determining factor as the depth of the trem route, though if you're careful you can make extra clearance under the trem arm in the cavity.

Is the AVRI a better guitar? I think so, largely because the non-upgradeable features - body finish, neck profile, fretboard wood color - but an upgraded MIJ still can be an excellent guitar. Just not that much of a bargain compared to the AVRI once you've done the upgrades.

MelWaldorf
I've got two Jags, a 1996 MIJ and a 2003 AVRI. The MIJ is upgraded with US pickups and hardware, and is a pretty nice guitar. I've had problems with previous MIJ Jags and JMs bottoming out the trem, but this one doesn't. I think the spring is as much a determining factor as the depth of the trem route, though if you're careful you can make extra clearance under the trem arm in the cavity.

Is the AVRI a better guitar? I think so, largely because the non-upgradeable features - body finish, neck profile, fretboard wood color - but an upgraded MIJ still can be an excellent guitar. Just not that much of a bargain compared to the AVRI once you've done the upgrades.

Mel, your site was one of the reasons I went for the AV. I was really unhappy with my CIJ Jaguar and Jazzmaster and saw your pictures about routing the trem cavity a bit and I was thinking about doing that, then realized this was just unacceptable for a man who was trying to make the Jaguar his main guitar at the time. But it did look like it worked fine for you.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3