PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
127 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
11 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink pre-amp tubes?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

ok, i don't know if this already posted...but what in your opinion is the BEST preamp tubes for <u>surf</u>?

personally, i like the RCA's in my main channels...and pretty much everywhere else, making my non-fender amp sound more 'fender'.

are there any other tubes that give that RCA 'classic fender' sound, or is it pretty much all american tubes that have tha charm?

I've also heard that GEs are really clean and round-sounding...anyone try those?

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

JJ's all the way man!!! best tone around.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

i've heard JJ's are more overdriven...

wow! that's a difficult topic...
all tubes are different even RCAs! hehe
I mean RCAs produced on different year.
I think it's more a matter of taste.
JJ's are very good tubes and are one of my first choice too!
Also, I love the Electroharmonix! awesome!
A few years back I prefered NOS tubes like RCA, Sylvania, GE, etc but I spent too much money and lost too much time changing and trying different tubes and one day I realized that new tubes are great and nice and much more cheaper! Now, I'm using a mix of JJ's, Sovtek, Svetlana, Electroharmonix, etc.
My current diy amp has 4EL84 Electroharmonix at the output 112AT7WA G.E. as phase splitter (ok that's NOS) and 2*12AX7LPS Sovtek. In the driver stage I like JJ's too. But Sovteks in this amp have better highs...

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

JoshHeartless
i've heard JJ's are more overdriven...

Nop they don't! I use them in all my vintage amps "Showman" "Bandmaster" "Reverb Tank" "Bassman"

They are so lively with sweet mids, highs , warm tones and not to mention they are not as microphonic as other tubes they are so quiet and bring out brilliant tones, but man don't take our word for it, we can all talk highly about the variety of killer tubes on the market, just buy a set and try them out for yourself and sometimes that's what it takes to be convinced and set, or even better just use what your already using if you dig your tone don't change it! any tube in IMO will still make your vintage Fender Fendery in tone.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007 14:14:09

my local electronics store (radio specialized, doesnt even sell matched sets of power tubes) has a batch of GE for reasonable prices so I have a few of those. and I use JJs. not really that much difference to my ears. both are good. I bought one of the new EHX when the mags got crazy about them, but it was more microphonic than my sm57 so no more EHX for me. I have a bunch of old philips 12ax7s as well, but they cant match the GEs or JJs - maybe because they are old, they arent NOS, just OS Smile
then I have about 5 or six other brands I dont even know the name of, some with wiped off printing, all sovtex-ish, and a few sovtexs. not very nice, like putti8ng a pillow in front of your speaker. I have a close friend who is into restoring tube hifi amps and has a garage with at least 500 tubes - he was planning on starting an online business, started stocking and than gave up on the idea. funny guy. rca preamp tubes Ive never tried.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

diceophonic
......but man don't take our word for it, we talk can all talk highly about the variety of killer tubes on the market, just buy a set and try them out for yourself and sometimes that's what it takes to be convinced and set, or even better just use what your already using if you dig your tone don't change it! any tube in IMO will still make your vintage Fender Fendery in tone.

Agree

yeah, well said kyle.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I've got RCA NOS in my tank. I like them, but haven't done an exhaustive comparison besides the stock fender tubes and a JAN Phillips NOS that I tried.

I've got a set of JJs that I just received from Mojo that I'm going to put in my Showman. I can't wait to try them out!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I'm a big fan of GE tubes... and the Mullards are pretty sweet, too .

In the daveBassman, I run GE 5751 (military spec 12AX7 replacement) in the tone circuit. I also run GE 6L6 power tubes.

In the reverb, I run GE 6K6, GE 5751 and Mullard 12AT7...

I dig the sweet surf sound all these old tubes produce.

dp
....and the Mullards are pretty sweet, too .

I love Mullard too! I have some CV4024 (12AX7) and some non military ECCxx. I have a long time to use them but with this discussion I think I'll try to find them in the closet and try them in my current amp. I have never place them in a guitar amp, only in hi-fi...
....more news soon! Wink

JJ ECC803's and 12AX7's are pretty darn good and my go to tubes for warmth.

Electro-Harmonix 12AX7's are much brighter, articulate and detailed for reeeeeeally bright, sparkly surf.

DGG
JJ ECC803's and 12AX7's are pretty darn good and my go to tubes for warmth.

Electro-Harmonix 12AX7's are much brighter, articulate and detailed for reeeeeeally bright, sparkly surf.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
EHX are a little bit the same with Sovteks 12AX7 "LPS"....

I tried many combinations and stayed with a Telefunken/Mullard combo.
Ran

The Scimitars

spy

dp

I love Mullard too! I have some CV4024 (12AX7) and some non military ECCxx. I have a long time to use them but with this discussion I think I'll try to find them in the closet and try them in my current amp. I have never place them in a guitar amp, only in hi-fi...
....more news soon! Wink

I like the CV4024 too. I had some Sovteks in my 12ax7's and i jus thought they sounded good. Rplaced them all with CV4024's and the Sovteks are in the dump ground somwhere right now. I spent a couple of extra bucks and got a balanced CV4024 for the PI position.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

P2gee

spy

dp

....more news soon! Wink

I like the CV4024 too. I had some Sovteks in my 12ax7's and i jus thought they sounded good. Rplaced them all with CV4024's and the Sovteks are in the dump ground somwhere right now. I spent a couple of extra bucks and got a balanced CV4024 for the PI position.

yes you're right! Yesterday I place one in my current amp at the input stage and the difference was big! I don't have any JJ in the moment to compare them with Mullards...
Clearer sound with sweet highs. They cost much more but worth it. I replaced again the Sovtek but in special moments or for a gig I'll use Mullards.

....PI position?! Do you mean at the phase splitter?

spy

P2gee

spy

dp

Iof extra bucks and got a balanced CV4024 for the PI position.

....PI position?! Do you mean at the phase splitter?

PI = Phase Inverter.....the pre amp tube next to the power tubes. I just did some more swapping last night. Replaced the CV4024 in the PI with a Sylvania 12AT7. The 4024 seems to break up early with the Sylvania staying pretty clean. I guess with most amps having 6 pre amp sockets and the plethora of good tubes available, a person could spend three lifetimes trying all combinations. Also I noticed in V1 and 2 I'm using the Tung Sol 12AX7's which seem to work well for the $$.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

P2gee
PI = Phase Inverter.....

Hey, that's the same, man. This tube splits the signal into two similar but one with 180 degrees out of phase.

P2gee
I guess with most amps having 6 pre amp sockets and the plethora of good tubes available, a person could spend three lifetimes trying all combinations.

that's true! Laughing

I just bought these from an old man in my town for dirt cheap. one of the GE AX7 doesn't work though, so I'll get it returned, but other than that...WOW!! GE's are louder, cleaner, more bassy and a lot more powerful sounding than RCA's, that is my direct comparision, i had one RCA in channel 2, and a GE in channel one for quick switching for the best comparing...

wow! nice tubes....
Are the circuits of channel one and two identical?!
Which amp do you have?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next