PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
3 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink How do bigger surf bands get paid?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Just going to add my little two cents here. I think the sucessful surf band is Los Straitjackets. Each one of those guys has been around a long time. Eddie has a big rockabilly following and even Jason who's the youngest has a big following. Those guys all do other things so it's pretty much impossible to make a decent living just playing surf music.

Zak's right about playing to other people. We played to more rockabilly people than "surf" people just because there are more of them in Chicago. But I learned pretty quick that those rockabillies into surf were pretty much the guys from the surf crowd. When you go from one really small sub-culture to another you find a lot of overlapping participants. Try marketing the Hip Hop crowd. Very Happy

As for jumping around on stage? Eh... I'd rather gaze at my expensive Florsheim boots.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

We've got a tune named 'Shoegazer' to celebrate the genre!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

BillAqua
Zak's right about playing to other people. We played to more rockabilly people than "surf" people just because there are more of them in Chicago. But I learned pretty quick that those rockabillies into surf were pretty much the guys from the surf crowd. When you go from one really small sub-culture to another you find a lot of overlapping participants. Try marketing the Hip Hop crowd. Very Happy

i thought up that idea a while ago. i was thinking to myself "hey, since there is no surf crowd, why don't we aim our sights on greasers and rockabilly crowds?" unfortunately, we've only played one majorly rockabilly show, it was the best crowd response we've ever gotten. we really can't find many other rockabilly acts to play with though... you gotta think though, being in a band is a business, that's why it's a good idea to hire a manager or a booking agent, because it's hard worrying about where to play next weekend AND to worry about what songs you need to write. we always book a few shows and think we are good for the time being, and forget to book more-by the time those shows are done, we don't have any more to play.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

It's a music genre that was originally performed by teenagers, for teenagers. It should be served up with some degree of energy and angst.

Dick Dale wasn't a teenager, he was seasoned pro, like lots of players in the first wave. I disagree that surf music is by and for angst ridden teenagers, it can be very exhuberent and positive with a wide appeal. I know I don't like to see and old guy jump around like a teenager on stage, it's unbecoming. There is more than one way to connect with your audience.

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 22:25:38

Stormtiger

It's a music genre that was originally performed by teenagers, for teenagers. It should be served up with some degree of energy and angst.

Dick Dale wasn't a teenager, he was seasoned pro, like lots of players in the first wave. I disagree that surf music is by and for angst ridden teenagers, it can be very exhuberent and positive with a wide appeal. I know I don't like to see and old guy jump around like a teenager on stage, it's unbecoming. There is more than one way to connect with your audience.

While I agree that it was mostly a teen art form, I don't get where the angst comes in. We were attracted to surf because of its absence of angst during the angsty late 80s and 90s.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007 13:20:41

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 22:25:42

Or you could get that "I'm gonna slit my wrists cause I'm so depressed" brand of angst when you don't get paid! Very Happy

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

I don't think there has to be literal jumping on stage (although some do) as much as there should be some movement and variation on stage. There are little fun things that can be added to spice it up, be it a change of instruments, stage play, change of costume, interact witht the crowd, anything just to make it a little funner, and if it is a complex song it is okay to focus on notes too. Us old guys might break something if we jump around, but we are never too old to have fun.

when we were talking to eddie angel this summer he told us they (LSJ) never attracted a crowd until they put on the masks. seems they were in the right place at the right time with the right 'gimmick'.

www.surfintheeye.com

This is an interesting thread. And potentially very useful for up-and-coming acts. I have many different thoughts about this, but one thing I'd like to add is that there are MANY mainstream acts that became hugely successful that had no stage show to speak of - they just stood and played. A few that come to mind off the top of my head: Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Eagles.... There are tons. Even the Ramones! And the Beatles just stood there and played and sang. (Yeah, they had a matching look, and once in a while they'd shake their heads as they sang 'whooooo', but that's not exactly what we're talking about here.) When it comes to our own genre, all of the photos of live performances by sixties surf bands show them standing there playing their instruments, often times looking down at their instruments. There are occasional stories of more active surf bands (the Lively Ones and the Pyramids come to mind), but I have to wonder how often they really DID jump on their amps or do backflips off the stage or whatnot.

Zak is right of course that if you can do a full 'act' like the Bomboras or Los Straitjackets or whoever you will have an easier time getting and keeping an audience, especially as a primarily instrumental act. But I'd like to think that people can still be entertained by simply seeing a band playing good songs well. Call me a hopeless romantic. In addition, stage presence involves much more than just jumping around. I've seen many players that have a powerful stage presence without moving at all. It's a matter of charisma. And many players that looked (and sounded) like total idiots jumping around. I agree with Doug (Stormtiger) that it's unbecoming for somebody in their forties (or even thirties) to be jumping around. Or, God, even doing coordinated moves, especially if they're somewhat awkward in their execution. This is not entertainment, it makes me cringe.

Instrumental acts are always going to be at disadvantage when it comes to stage presence, since it's very difficult playing the (often at least somewhat complex) parts while moving around a whole lot. Heck, after seeing the Treblemakers videos it doesn't seem that Zak is really following his own advice - pretty much the only movement I remember seeing is the organ player rocking his Farfisa back and forth with varying levels of intensity (I wonder if this is the influence of Jon Lord of Deep Purple? Wink If so, when do we see Zak smashing his guitars?) Zak just stood there, playing cool and looking cool - worked for me. I don't remember seeing Denis on the video very much, but he also seemed to just stand there - though with a painful-looking grimace on his face while pounding away on his Jag, no doubt imagining that Slayer was backing him. Laughing

Bottom line: no surf instrumental act is going to be able to attract more than a few hundred people at the very maximum to a show no matter what they do. This will not be changing within our lifetimes. So, I'd say screw it. Do what you enjoy, and don't worry about how to make yourself more appealing to more people. I got into this to be a surf musician, not a trained monkey (see Britney, Christina, Back Street Boys, et-nauseating-c....). Though I do also enjoy seeing (some) trained monkeys sometimes, too, especially if they are also good musicians (happens on occasion). If you want to make any kind of serious money, find another genre.

Ivan

PS Speaking of the Bomboras, I remember actually talking to Lord Hunt in '98 in Baltimore when they opened for the Cramps. I asked them if they all quit their jobs and are doing the Bomboras full-time now. His response was, yep, no more day jobs for them. And I remember thinking, you can't possibly think you're going to be able to make a living playing surf music from here on? Within a year or two, Zombie A-Go-Go records was gone, presumably due to poor sales, and I don't think the Bomboras lasted much longer either. EVEN the Bomboras couldn't make it work, and they are both great musicians AND have great songs IN ADDITION to having a great show and stage presence. I wonder if Los Straits could really still make it work if Danny wasn't independently wealthy, and Eddie didn't have all the connections in the roots music community....

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

eah, in Bob Dalley's book other musicians refer to him as "the creepy 'old' guy who didn't really surf" - he was one of the few that wasn't a teenager, but are you gonna argue that his audience wasn't primarily teenagers? Dick Dale was born in in 1937, so I can't really see how the hell he would have been a "seasoned pro" in '62 at the age of 25. Unless you're talking about some kind of steak seasoning...
I don't know who you mean by "lots of players" - the session guys in the Marketts? Jim Masoner? The guys who were out of their teens were the exception, not the rule.

Are you kidding? You absolutely can be a seasoned vet by age 25 and if you are a pro you'd better be one by then...then again it depends on your definition. The Beatles come to mind. So what if someone said that about Dick Dale---other people contradict that so who is right? Whether or not Dick Dale surfed is irrelevant, the Tornados didn't have travel to space to play Telstar. And yes, I'm talking about the session players who were hired for good reason, they were inventive and could play well. Face it there weren't a lot of great teenage guitarists then, most were just copying Dick Dale as best they could. I question your statement about most of them being teenagers, I'd like to see some statistics.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 22:25:46

Great post Ivan... Thumbs Up

Well put Ivan...as always.
I think Ivan has demonstrated what can be done as a part-time musician. A university professor, writer and lecturer, married with a dog, and still has time to write incredibly amazing music with his own flair, and gain international attention. With all of that who needs millions?

You're not making millions are you? I'm sure you'd be posting photos of more Showman amps if you were.

I may be wrong, but I sense a lot of angst about this topic by certain people which puzzles me, as mostly this is supposed to be a fun thing to bring joy to yourselves and others, bumming about it here on these pages isn't going to change a damn thing, if you are good, people will come.

There is a vast difference between what some people think is good and what actually is good.

As for Dick Dale, leave the guy alone, he was playing to sell out crowds in a 'genre' nobody knew about let could name before most of us knew what a guitar was, and having a hell of a lot of fun doing it, who cares if he could surf or not.

This is my point of view or opinion and opinions are like armpits, everyone has a couple.

Wink Confused Cool

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 22:25:50

IvanP
Black Sabbath .... Even the Ramones!

In the Sabbath footage I have. Ozzy, Bill Ward and (to a lesser extent) Geezer all have decent amounts of energy. Granted, Ozzy's probably coked out of his mind, but still.

And the Ramones just standing there? Not when Dee Dee was in the band, my friend.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Danny Amis is independently wealthy? I'm guessing it's not from playing surf, but it's great that it allows him to play without a day job. Wonder how he made his fortune?

I do admire those who either do / or try to make a go of making a living as a musician. When I was just outta school, I gave it a shot (in Montreal, Zak's territory)) for about a year before moving back to Nova Scotia. Must say that I've made more money with a surf band (which still isn't enough to make a living) than any other group I was with (good or bad).

We certainly try to get a guarantee plus a percentage of the door if the club makes more on admission. Unfortunatley those are fewer of those venues here in NS anymore...unless you're a top 40 cover band. The corporate gigs are great for $$$, though. That's why we all have day jobs (and I suspect the day jobs are the reason why we've been playing for 12+ years).

Rev
Urban Surf Kings

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

This is a very good thread. I don't detect any angst, just some good healthy discussion from some varying points of view.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next