Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
258 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
252 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
213 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
146 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
146 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
132 days ago

dp: dude
113 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
68 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
52 days ago

GDW: showman
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

84%

84%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Upgrade 2015 Squire Jaguar parts?

Page 1 of 1

Greetings,
I have picked up a surf green Jaguar and want to upgrade it. Looking for recommendations/ parts list. ( My candy apple red JAG will stay stock)
- Pickups
- pots with Ohms
- Capacitor
- Bridge
-wire type and gauge
- etc…
I am looking for a straight drop in.I have found posts recommending the Maestro bridge.

Thanks —

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

For pickups, the Fender Pure Vintage '65 Jag pickups would be a good bet.

For the pots, you'd want 1M Ohm vol and tone, and if you go for full-size pots, you may have to enlarge the holes on the control plate. Alternatively, you could get a standard Fender Jag control plate, though I cannot say if it would be a drop-in replacement. Also, if you go with full size pots, you'll likely need new knobs to fit - the Squier knobs are typically a bit smaller and don't feel quite right compared to the full-size Fender knobs.

I wouldn't bother re-wiring the whole thing - nobody's going to see or hear the wires. Overall, I'd say focus on the things that make it feel/play better and that make it sound better, and it's up to you what matters for all that. There's no sense in trying to upgrade it all to classic Fender specs, since it will always be a Squier at heart (and there's nothing wrong with that).

Not really anything you have to put money in but I rounded of the edge that the vibrato is tipping over and it made a big difference on my Squier CV Jag. It stopped clicking and the motion is now really smooth. I guess yours is a VM but might benefit from it too

I have a CV Jaguar that I kept basically stock. I did change to an AVRI tailpiece, although the advice above will make this unnecessary. The OEM pickups, controls, etc. have proven adequate so far.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I recently acquired a 70’s Squire Jag and the only changes I made were the addition of the American Pro bridge thimble sleeves as recommended by Synchro in another post. It made the bridge much more stable when using the trem and I have zero tuning issues. I also had to blue loctite the bridge height adjustment screws to keep the bridge from dropping due to vibration. I may upgrade to a Staytrem later but to be honest the stock mustang bridge is fine. Strung it up with Ernie Ball round wound 11’s and didn’t need a shim. My trem unit is smooth and noise free so I haven’t done the mod described above. I think the stock pickups sound fantastic and the wiring, pots and switches seem fine so far and are hum free. This thing is quiet as a mouse in all pickup configurations. The only other thing I may do later is add a treble bleed circuit. It does lose quite a bit of highs when you roll off the volume.

Boomerang wrote:

I recently acquired a 70’s Squire Jag and the only changes I made were the addition of the American Pro bridge thimble sleeves as recommended by Synchro in another post. It made the bridge much more stable when using the trem and I have zero tuning issues. I also had to blue loctite the bridge height adjustment screws to keep the bridge from dropping due to vibration. I may upgrade to a Staytrem later but to be honest the stock mustang bridge is fine. Strung it up with Ernie Ball round wound 11’s and didn’t need a shim. My trem unit is smooth and noise free so I haven’t done the mod described above. I think the stock pickups sound fantastic and the wiring, pots and switches seem fine so far and are hum free. This thing is quiet as a mouse in all pickup configurations. The only other thing I may do later is add a treble bleed circuit. It does lose quite a bit of highs when you roll off the volume.

I forgot to mention those in my post, but definitely the bridge thimbles, which I think are a great idea on any Offset.

The OEM bridge on mine hasn’t given me any trouble. I actually have a spare StayTrem bridge, but the OEM one hasn’t shown any self lowering tendencies, so I’ve left it as is. That little CV Jaguar seems to be blessed, because it has given me zero trouble. It’s much more expensive sibling, my Warmoth Jaguar, is more fiddly than the Squier.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1