Shoutbox

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
247 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
215 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
208 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
169 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
103 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
103 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
89 days ago

dp: dude
70 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
25 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake July Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New tube reverb unit from Benson ... only $2200!

Page 1 of 1

Link: https://www.bensonamps.com/surfsup

Apparently a tie-in with The Beach Boys. Website claims hand-made in Oregon - I don't know anything about Benson, so I don't doubt that claim given the $2200 price tag, and only available from Sweetwater.

It does have both reverb and tremolo, but for $2200 I'd be pretty tempted to get a RI Fender unit and a couple of great tremolo pedals. For that money, I could get the Fender unit serviced, retubed & put a new tank in and still save a ton of money. One cool feature is that it has both long and short reverb tanks in it, which isn't something I know of other units having (somebody please correct me on that if I'm ignorant of a company that does it).

I guess putting The Beach Boys' logo on it raises the price quite a bit?

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

Looks nice.
I wish Surfy Industries would work on something like that.
Surfy Bear and Surfy Trem in a big sexy single box.
With a post/pre switch for the Tremolo, even if it's always post Wink

kinda crazy price for such a niche product. Guess something that's gonna end up with studios and professionals not ordinary players.

Mod two surfy bears and a trem pedal and save 1200 bucks

If I didn't already have a G-Spring, I'd get Tavo's reverb unit for $1k less. Or Billy Zoom's reverb/trem unit if one ever pops up.

Spending 2k on an effect seems so silly to me. Most of my guitar heros played broken, out of tune guitars with whatever effects they had access to. The currrent gear economy is bonkers with people willing to spend $300 - $500+ on a fuzz pedal.

Very cool unit and it sounds like a LOT of thought went into it but at that price point it's only for the most cork-sniffingest of lawyer/dentist surfdad's...

This is the third Beach Boys labeled product I’ve seen today.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlQuawC6SE

Check out the unit, and other cool new fx being used here

I'll come out and say it.

I do not like the Beach Boys.

DrippyReverbTremolo wrote:

I'll come out and say it.

I do not like the Beach Boys.

I'll allow it Smile

Boutique amps & amp-like products are crazy expensive these days - though it seems like everything is crazy expensive right now!

--

synchro wrote:

There is a new Beach Boys bio doc premiering on Disney+ at the end of the month. Lots of officially licensed Beach Boys merch including the Reverb/Tremolo Unit from Benson and effects pedals from Keeley and JHS. I am sure the prices are more than a bit inflated because there is a licensing fee for the name/logo use. I saw a preview for the documentary. It didn't look bad at all; apparently primarily interviews with the band members and plenty of rare live and studio footage along with home movies. It will be interesting to see if they interviewed or even mention David Marks "the lost Beach Boy" who was a member of the band and played on the first four albums.

Last edited: May 15, 2024 13:30:53

Surfadelphia wrote:

synchro wrote:

There is a new Beach Boys bio doc premiering on Disney+ at the end of the month. Lots of officially licensed Beach Boys merch including the Reverb/Tremolo Unit from Benson and effects pedals from Keeley and JHS. I am sure the prices are more than a bit inflated because there is a licensing fee for the name/logo use. I saw a preview for the documentary. It didn't look bad at all; apparently primarily interviews with the band members and plenty of rare live and studio footage along with home movies. It will be interesting to see if they interviewed or even mention David Marks "the lost Beach Boy" who was a member of the band and played on the first four albums.

I figured something like that was up.

I just looked at the web page for the unit, and they are all sold out. So we no longer have to worry about the Beach Boys connection or whether it's overpriced...

I had no doubts this will sell out: there are plenty of blues lawyers out there. Still fair game to talk shit.

edwardsand wrote:

I just looked at the web page for the unit, and they are all sold out. So we no longer have to worry about the Beach Boys connection or whether it's overpriced...

I predict it will pop up 12 hours after they start shipping as "mint" with a 50-80% markup.

--

chiba wrote:

edwardsand wrote:

I predict it will pop up 12 hours after they start shipping as "mint" with a 50-80% markup.

Undoubtedly.

chiba wrote:

edwardsand wrote:

The next "gotta have it" collectable.

Page 1 of 1