Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
247 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
216 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
209 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
170 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
103 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
103 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
89 days ago

dp: dude
70 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
26 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake July Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink SG101 Festival attendees

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hello! I don't think I have seen another thread about this and don't want to derail the main announcement-ish one so...

I'd love to hear from those planning to attend the festival this summer! Is there anything a first-timer should know? Are there off-menu events, or anything specific to forum members (special meetups, etc.)? Or do you say hi and introduce yourself incessantly? I'd love to put faces to some of the people posting here that provide such great info and food for thought.

I'm a casual musician (I've been lumbering along learning surf for 20 years, still not great, and I am not in any bands) and a slightly-more-than-casual surf/garage fan, but am way more into both than anyone else I know in person, so seems like a group I should get to know.

I'll be coming down from Washington State.

To get myself more familiar with some of the music scheduled, here is a Spotify playlist you should be able to add to using this link, with all of the acts I could find on Spotify. I am not at all a Spotify power user so if anyone else would rather clone this and run with it in a better way, that is great!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3XZgcWyF3uqb4bMBVtCQoG?si=02f67681db534c6e&pt=4d2c6bf9fbe4f299f6191d2849eb1c47

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024 12:27:49

Cool thanks for the Spotify list.

There will be 2 pre shows and 2 post shows announced soon.

So Wednesday n Thursday before,
Monday and Tuesday after.

smaller bar shows in OC or Long Beach

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hi Rob! Glad that you're coming down for the festival. You will be blown away. I've been driving down from the S.F. Bay Area to the SG101 events since the first one, and each event has been phenomenal. SG101 members, and the entire surf community, are very friendly and welcoming. Don't be afraid to make the rounds and introduce yourself.

This event is a marathon! Listening to the glorious (and loud) music, meeting people, visiting the vendors, etc. is a LOT of stimulation, and it takes its' toll. My recommendation is to prioritize, plan, and pace yourself. With the backline set up for all the bands to use, the breaks between sets are relatively short. I try to plan my meals during sets by the bands that I least want to see. As much as I want to, unfortunately, I realize that I can't see every minute of every band. You're gonna miss stuff, and that's OK. Just make it so that you don't miss the stuff that you REALLY want to see. I'd like to be standing up front for the whole shebang, but I've learned that I have to give my self a break, and sit for portions of the festival.

I usually arrive early to check out all the vendors, and to talk with/meet people, which I also do during the breaks between sets. This event is a blur! It goes by so quickly, that I always end up lamenting not being able to visit as much as I would like, with friends, or introduce myself to new people, bands, etc. Take advantage whenever you can, because it will be over in the blink of an eye. If you're into merch, brings lots of cash. Some vendors can take credit cards, venmo, etc. Some don't There are a lot of cash-worthy raffles. I'm sure that I'm leaving out a lot, but this should give you a decent idea of what to expect. I certainly hope to meet you, Rob.

Bob

Thanks for the info and tips! Very much looking forward to it - got my flights and hotel booked and now just counting the hours (luckily the event site handles that part...)

Rob,
I'll have a vendor table for my fanzine, Colorado Instrumental. Please stop by and say, "Hi."

As Bob mentioned there is a lot to take in. There are two stages so it takes some planning to see who you want to see as well as meal planning.

There are food vendors on-site and the venue sells some alcohol.

It's recommended to bring cash as not all vendors take electronic payments.

If you can, catch Surf X Surfwest in Seattle the weekend before.

Matthew
Purchase Issue 2
Purchase Issue 1

Colorado Instrumental Fanzine Instagram
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine FB Friends
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine FB Page
Email: Matthew_e_clark_6@hotmail.com

Last edited: May 03, 2024 17:58:30

bigtikidude wrote:

Cool thanks for the Spotify list.

There will be 2 pre shows and 2 post shows announced soon.

So Wednesday n Thursday before,
Monday and Tuesday after.

smaller bar shows in OC or Long Beach

Looking forward to hearing about these - still haven't made flight plans and could maybe stay a day extra on either side.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Is there a photography/recording policy somewhere? If it is allowed or encouraged, I might bring a Zoom digital audio recorder. Would love to take some photos (like with an actual camera) as well.

Rob, It is most certainly allowed. Seemingly, the only issue is jockeying for spots from which to shoot videos, and, of course, the perils of the oblivious dancers. Wink

rfcii wrote:

Is there a photography/recording policy somewhere? If it is allowed or encouraged, I might bring a Zoom digital audio recorder. Would love to take some photos (like with an actual camera) as well.

Bob

Now Bob, when speaking of dancers, you wouldn't be referring to our beloved Dave Arnson by any chance would you? Big Grin

Patrick

There will be an area for audio and Video recorders

Jeff(bigtikidude)

rfcii wrote:

It would be really terrific if one of the kind videographers shared video with the bands.

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

Please check out our latest album The Reverbivores Watch TV!

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

Jonathan talk to Dave F, he always shares.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

I'm not certain Dave F will be there this year.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

oh, I hadn't seen that. I guess you'll have to badger the remaining videographers.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

It occurred to me that a huge draw for me, maybe others, would be workshops on actual guitar stuff. Songwriting, gear, techniques, etc. I know how hard it is to teach actual lessons to a bunch of people with different abilities, but I would absolutely be interested in some of the musicians demonstrating their rigs, some playing techniques or approaches, etc.

Maybe something to think about for the future! The old Sierra Surf Music Camp always looked so cool, and was at a time when I couldn't make the travel happen. I wish something like that were still around!

There will be a meet n greet and possible member jam on Friday from 2-5 pm
Maybe some teaching could happen then

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I’m attending and into it. Expect I’ll be vending but yet to have made final arrangements. We all have something to give and we all need something to learn .

The mighty KAHUNATONES
Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Starting to get pretty stoked! I have to work until Wednesday but will be hitting the road after that, making a pit stop to visit a friend in LA. Anyone have any suggestions for outstanding food/etc near the venue?

It was a long time ago (early 2000s), but I actually lived in Long Beach for a couple years and would ride my bike down to Seal Beach, will be cool to see the old stomping grounds and what has changed. Looking at the maps I hardly recognize it!

rfcii

The best places for food and beverages nearby is on 2nd Street in Belmont Shore. Been that way for decades.

Happy Sunsets!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next