Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
282 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
251 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
244 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
205 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
138 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
138 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
125 days ago

dp: dude
106 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
61 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
45 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink MIJ Jazzmaster Pickups

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Brky87 wrote:

I have the same problem, I even thought it was an incompatibility with surfybear and the amp, but I realized that the japanese jazzmaster pickups are so bright and high pitched and hard to control with a 1 meg pot after being used with strat for a while. As a result of my long research I think novak pickups are the best option. They have the most balanced, rich and vintage tones compared to other alternatives.

Ok, interesting… so did you wind up changing the pickups and pots or just the pickups. I’m assuming it works for you now?

Any of the pickups suggested will be an upgrade
Def do the pots etc
Everyone will have a different subjective opinion on the best pickups. If you are u sure just go with the least expensive of those options as it will probably be quite adequate

Newcomer wrote:

Brky87 wrote:

I have the same problem, I even thought it was an incompatibility with surfybear and the amp, but I realized that the japanese jazzmaster pickups are so bright and high pitched and hard to control with a 1 meg pot after being used with strat for a while. As a result of my long research I think novak pickups are the best option. They have the most balanced, rich and vintage tones compared to other alternatives.

Ok, interesting… so did you wind up changing the pickups and pots or just the pickups. I’m assuming it works for you now?

No I haven't changed it yet, no matter which comparison video I watch novak always sounds better to my ears so I don't think I will regret it. I don't think there will be a problem with traditional jm pickups with 1 meg pot but of course this is a subjective maybe 500k will be better for you. Although the Japanese models are called traditional, their pickups are clearly not. https://reverb.com/news/american-vs-japanese-fender-jazzmasters-whats-the-difference

This comparison here should help:
https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33614&sid=3f45569795dcce042daf33eb9d07afdd

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024 06:34:57

Novak have a very good reputation, tho I haven’t tried them
The guys I know who use them in offers are more into heavy rock and shoelace stuff tho

I would still change out the wiring and pots and jack as a point of order just due to the poor quality of the Japanese stuff
Also chucking a 1meg resistor across is a totally reversible and incredibly cheap mod. I’ve done it on my JMs and I totally endorse it if you have a bright rig. Means I can play my bassman rig with the bright switch on and that’s much better for my tank sound. Plus I never have to touch the tone control on my guitar

see if you can find a spec sheet for the Novak s

Quick follow up and additional question.

I’ve gone ahead and ordered the fender pups as a feel they will provide a solid, affordable entry point to get started. Hopefully they’ll do the job and that will be a wrap.

I’m also now interested in swapping the tremolo. The stock unit has almost no range—seems like the trem arm may be either too short or perhaps angled wrong. Don’t know. At any rate, AVRIs are available for around $100. Would that be a workable replacement on a recent mij and if so what size trem arm will fit that unit? Thanks!

I am very happy with the AVRI vibrato on my JM. Have never tried a Halon or Mastery, can't speak to their feel.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024 12:51:37

Goto Page: Previous 1 2