Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
265 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
258 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
219 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
152 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
152 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
139 days ago

dp: dude
120 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
75 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
59 days ago

GDW: showman
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

84%

84%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink AB763 or 6g14-A

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Great, maybe ask him for specs on their FBLS-P as well (that's the 67233 equivalent). If they could build you any of those two for your wall voltage (240V) that would probably be perfect.

Ran

The Scimitars

I assume you know what to get for output transformer, right? This:
https://www.mojotone.com/Tweed-Twin-High-Power-5F8-A-Output-Transformer-45268

The Scimitars

kick_the_reverb wrote:

Great, maybe ask him for specs on their FBLS-P as well (that's the 67233 equivalent). If they could build you any of those two for your wall voltage (240V) that would probably be perfect.

Ran

Thanks Ran, really helpful

Here is a link to my thread where I had a boutique 6G14 amp built. I am extremely happy with it, as it nails the tone I am going for. The photos should answer a few of your questions.

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/34072/

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Here is a link to my thread where I had a boutique 6G14 amp built. I am extremely happy with it, as it nails the tone I am going for. The photos should answer a few of your questions.

Fantastic thanks very much

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Do you have a spec sheet for the transformers?
I might end up ordering the PT from mercury but its gonnabe a a heck of a lot cheaper for me to source a hammond choke and OT from mouser.

In a comment above I pointed out a very cheap option for a correct spec OT. Not sure why would you not choose that. I have one of those: my 5th Showman came with an unoriginal OT, so I gave the Heyboer/Mojotone/TAD 45268-1 a try and it's great.

A Mercury Magnetics OT could also work, but they have all kinds of incorrect/confusing info on their site in regards to models, impedance and sizes, so I would be very careful in making sure what you order from them is really what you need.

There are no other correct-spec choices AFAIK, the more you drift away from an exact replica, the less chance you have of it being close to the real deal.

Ran

The Scimitars

kick_the_reverb wrote:

In a comment above I pointed out a very cheap option for a correct spec OT. Not sure why would you not choose that. I have one of those: my 5th Showman came with an unoriginal OT, so I gave the Heyboer/Mojotone/TAD 45268-1 a try and it's great.

A Mercury Magnetics OT could also work, but they have all kinds of incorrect/confusing info on their site in regards to models, impedance and sizes, so I would be very careful in making sure what you order from them is really what you need.

There are no other correct-spec choices AFAIK, the more you drift away from an exact replica, the less chance you have of it being close to the real deal.

Ran

Im beginning to see your point re: confusing info
Liking your reccomendation and most likely go that way.
Nothing is cheap here in NZ and all those command expensive shipping all the same. Hammond is about the only brand that I can get shipped relatively cheaply with mouser.

Hello @Pihabeach82, I am currently in a research for the 6G14A PT, and I found this thread to be quite helpful. I wonder which PT you chose finally and if you got the expected results.

@kick_the_reverb your 61 Showman that you replaced the PT with a MM 67233 is a 6G14A model or 6G14?

Also, does anyone have the specs of the 67233 and 125P7A? MM makes both but there are no specs available in public.

Regarding the 67233, the only public specs I find is from the Hammond 290EEX which is sold as a replacement for the Concert/Bandmaster etc, where the ratings are 660Vct @ 275mA. My guess is that Hammond optimized the amperage to the specs of these amps to reduce size, weight and cost, but back then was probably more convenient for Fender to use the higher watt PT in lower watt models as is(?). I also make a guess that the voltage rating should match that of a PT used in a 6G14A...

Regarding the 125P7A/B, I cannot find any trusted public reference for the specs. The only reference I found was from thegearpage where someone measured his PT at 388VAC (778Vct!!), which seems quite high for the Showman but matches for the plate voltages of the 6G6-A/B where it is found mainly.

Now from my personal experience, in my custom 6G14A built I ended up using a PT from a local manufacturer at 640Vct @ 440mA. This matches also the voltages of Hammond 290FEX. With the amp biased at 55%, I measured 419V on the plates, which is about 3% less than the 432V written on the schematic, but still in the acceptable range (+-20%). However my amp is a custom built that has only the normal channel and has the TAD-6L6WGC-STR tubes which are rated for 30W instead of 23W of regular 5881, so the circuit is expected to behave a bit differently. My point is, that the same PT specs in an original or exact 6G14A clone might give different voltages.

Now apart from the ratings, the materials and the construction method will also affect the PT behavior, but the ratings have at least to be matching for a budget build. My personal conclusion is that a PT with a rating of around 640-660Vct @500mA will probably do the job for a 6G14A. But as a disclaimer, keep in mind that I am a newb at amp building so do not take my thoughts very seriously! Wink

Hi terma_reverb
All my amps are 6G14-A.
6G14 amps are quite rare. I believe a lot of the ones with a 6G14 tube chart are actually 6G14-A amps.
I think 1960 amps have more of a chance of being 6G14.

Good luck!
Ran

terma_reverb wrote:

Hello @Pihabeach82, I am currently in a research for the 6G14A PT, and I found this thread to be quite helpful. I wonder which PT you chose finally and if you got the expected results.

@kick_the_reverb your 61 Showman that you replaced the PT with a MM 67233 is a 6G14A model or 6G14?

The Scimitars

Pihabeach82 wrote:

Im considering getting a locally built (in NZ) showman amp by a guy a couple hours down the coast known to do good work.

Im tossing up between a 6g14-A Brownface or a AB763 Blackface.
The amp builder says fading a chassis capable of taking the 6g14-A may be a challenge (had counted on using a twin reverb chassis). To me it looks like there are more preamp tubes in the 6g14 but otherwise similar.

Currently Im running a 50w custom made 6g6-b bassman with a 2x12 cab which I adore. But it is an unusual looking amp (not very surfy).
Would like a classic looking fender head and 2x12 cab in either black or blonde.

So I guess the question is try and modify something to fit the 6g14 layout or be happy with an AB763 blackfce showman.

I play an original 63 JM, a reissue 2000 AVRI JM and a 64 original Jag, 6g15 tank.

The other guitarist has a more hair sound with his gretsch but im just shooting for clean but with a bit of grit fore some of the rockier stuff.

Aware there are threads looking at builds ofr both amps and ive done my best to explore these.

Smile
Awesome, Who are you playing with? We do the odd surf gig out at the Piha Bowling club. Last one got fairly wild. Always looking for other surf enthusiasts in the area.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2