Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
298 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
292 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
252 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
186 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
186 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
172 days ago

dp: dude
153 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
108 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
92 days ago

GDW: showman
43 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Pop Surf Culture Book - New Edition 2025

Page 1 of 1

Apparently a new edition is coming out in spring 2025 published by Fantagraphics.

They have an instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/pop_surf_culture

Can't see any more other than that, but given that used copies of the first edition go for stupid amounts, I'm delighted!

Stoked! Always wanted this book, time to snatch it up when re-released.

I've always been a surfer first before becoming fascinated with surf music. Surfing in CA between the 30's to the 50's must had been something special. I wonder how much of the surf music in the 60's was adopted by the early surfers before Hollywood turned surfing mainstream. I've read a lot of the early surfers would had been listening to mostly jazz at the time, hence beatnik culture being referenced in this book.

Yeah, delighted to see this getting a reprint.

Very interesting re what surfers were listening to and when. Suspect you're right re jazz.

I read Chris Hillmen's biography last year (the Byrds etc) and he was a teenage surfer - and totally obsessed with bluegrass music at that time. So, I guess there was a fair amount of variation.

That said, an awful lot of the first wavers seemed to be actual surfers and into guitar instrumentals and the ever-present Dick Dale.

Fascinating stuff.

SurfAgeDaydream wrote:

Can't see any more other than that, but given that used copies of the first edition go for stupid amounts, I'm delighted!

Define “stupid amounts”. I got an SG101 convention trip to finance.
ROTFL

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

I got two copies for Christmas for the first run. I gave one to a punk library that no longer exists. I regret this.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

There was one on ebay UK with a ripped jacket for about £120 but it's gone now.

Page 1 of 1