Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
298 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
291 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
252 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
186 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
186 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
172 days ago

dp: dude
153 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
108 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
92 days ago

GDW: showman
43 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink My 4 favorite surf albums of '23

Page 1 of 1

FWIW, here are my favorite surf albums of '23 - and it was the year of the Return of the '90s Surf Bands!

At the very beginning of the year we did see the extremely welcome return of The Atlantics with "Still Making Waves", a return to their late-'90s and early '00s form with Martin Cilia sharing lead guitar duties with Jim Skiathitis, the album a perfect follow-up to their '99 comeback "Flight of the Surf Guitar" and '03's "Point Zero".

Ferenc Dobronyi brought Pollo Del Mar back with IMHO their best album to date, a remarkable achievement given that their previous most recent studio album is from '04. Pollo was one of the bands that really made an impression on me when I first dove into the modern surf music scene in '94 (30 years ago this year), and it's truly wonderful to have them back.

Of course, Satan's Pilgrims never went away, so no return necessary there - they've been at the very top of the surf revival scene for three decades now. But their collaboration with Thomas Lauderdale of Pink Martini on piano - AND also still featuring the badly-missed Dave Pilgrim on guitar - is one of the most joyful and fun surf albums any of us will ever hear! Profoundly musical, but also incredibly FUN!

Finally, we also saw the return of The Bomboras with "Songs From Beyond!", their first album since the mind-blowing (for me) "Head Shrinkin' Fun" from '98. Nobody sounds like these guys, and it's great to have that up-up garage-surf sound back!

But wait, there's more!! I believe we'll soon be getting another Langhorns album (currently being mixed), their first since "Mission Exotica" in '02, and I cannot wait! Also, there is the upcoming Draculina album with Chris Barfield (The Huntington Cads, The Finks) and Evan Douglas Foster (The Boss Martians) on guitars and Dusty Watson (Slacktone, Dick Dale) on drums - and it doesn't get much more '90s surf iconic than those three guys! So, the '90s surf revival is still in full swing, and I couldn't be happier! Those are my people!

(Major kudos to Art Bourasseau and MuSick Recordings for releasing three of the above-mentioned albums - Pollo Del Mar, the Bomboras, and Draculina. I love it, and am very grateful!)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Wow a new Langhorns album!!! Exciting!!!

I somehow missed this Atlantics album, thanks for posting about it! Heartily agree with your other choices! Seeing Thomas play with the Pilgrims at the convention was so cool!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Thanks Ivan! Peer recognition is better than a Grammy! But, A Grammy would be nice, too Smile

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Does anybody have video of Pdm at SG101?

I feel I missed a lot of it

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

Thank you

Jeff(bigtikidude)

AWESOME!

summerfun wrote:

bigtikidude wrote:

Below is the Spotify playlist I put together with the above four albums. Of course - OF COURSE - all the bands would be VERY grateful if you were to buy their physical product, but Spotify can be great just to sample new releases, which is what I mainly use it for - or sometimes for convenience after I've already purchased either a CD or LP, as I have here.

Listening to this playlist on shuffle really takes me back to the late '90s. Each of these bands has such a distinctive and recognizable sound, that has survived the past 25 years fully in tact. It made me also remember how back in the '90s the surf music scene had much more of a swirling mix of trad surf, garage surf prog surf, and all things in between, and it was no problem to love and appreciate it all. So many great comps of the mid-'90s featured it all, too, it was all side-by-side. Man, I miss those days.... Maybe this playlist recaptures that a bit. Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0IjPdoPnrnrzjppZEkKqpW?si=4a35a95bed4f42b4

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Great list, Ivan!

I haven't heard all of the albums you listed, but now I know I should be checking them out for my collection.

My four for 2023 were...
Well, let's just get this out of the way because it seems a little ass-kissy, but ...Lords of Atlantis made the top 4. The Strings Aflame with Totali Catastrofica. The Tentakills with Rage of Aquarius. The Ventures with New Space.

I got a few other albums released in 2023: The Desolate Coast with Without a Planet. The Frigidaires with Play It Cool (only had it a couple weeks). The Atom Jacks with 100 Seconds (also recent). Looking back over 2023, I got a lot of surf albums, but most of them came out well before 2023. Nearly everything I got I found out about through SG101, including people who actually participate, not just folks saying "hey, I got this great album that just came out." It's a great community here.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

chiba wrote:

The Tentakills with Rage of Aquarius. .

Thanks, I appreciate the mention!

Thanks Ivan! I'm so glad you like Thomas Lauderdale Meets The Pilgrims!
We are very pleased that it finally came out and especially because circa '96 and '11 Dave is all over it. He really worked hard on this record and was especially proud of this one. We only wish he was here to see the reactions and appreciations like yours (he always valued and respected your opinion).
Congratulations on the Lords of Atlantis record and all of the well deserved recognition it has been getting!

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024 21:38:21

Taifighter wrote:

chiba wrote:

The Tentakills with Rage of Aquarius. .

Thanks, I appreciate the mention!

I second what Chiba wrote. The Tentakills “Rage In Atlantis” does not get the attention it deserves. It’s a great sounding record with memorable songs and a restrained style of playing based on atmosphere and dynamics rather than notes per measure. It’s sophisticated but keeps one foot in the garage.

The Vicissitones
Diesel Marine
The Rasputones

Thank you so much, Ted and chiba ("ass=kissy"! Hahahaha! That's hilarious!), I really appreciate that and am so glad you're like our album!

Ted, your album with Thomas Lauderdale is simply a fantastic combination of musicians and instrumentation - AND a wonderful celebration of Dave's spirit and musicianship. The whole album is a real gift not only to all Pilgrims fans but to the whole surf music community. And i ADORE the track selection, sooooo many cool and unexpected covers there, especially for me Night and Day and Out of This World! But the whole thing is simply brilliant! Truly well done, my friend!

I will agree also about the Tentakills release, which does indeed KILL! Big Grin It's great dark-but-still-melodic surf. I just got more into the above four albums since they brought up a lot of nostalgia for me, I think, and given that it was a bit of a difficult year in general, it was nice to be able to find some comfort in music.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I appreciate the fact that some people can make decisions about favorites. Smile If I look back at my Bandcamp additions in the last year, I would be hard pressed to pick a few favorites. Another fabulous year in my opinion. Smile I'm amazed at how this genre has continued to grow. I'm extremely thankful for that. As a young man that heard the Chantays album for the 1st time and fell in love, I'm so thankful that the music has continued and grown. All of the albums mentioned are wonderful. I wonder if this year will bring us more of the same? Smile

Page 1 of 1