Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
286 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
280 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
241 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
174 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
174 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
160 days ago

dp: dude
141 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
96 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
80 days ago

GDW: showman
32 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

33%

33%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Blues Driver inquiry

Page 1 of 1

Sorry if this topic has already been covered , I did a search in the archives and could find nothing specific to my question….

I see a lot of dudes using a Blues Driver bd2 on their boards and am guessing it’s to add a bit of oomph to their tone?

Im also guessing that the gain is basically on zero or close to zero.

I’ve seen more BD2’s than Tube Screamers because the BD2 has more balls than the nasally TS?

Any insight into this would be appreciated!

Cool

Weird oh84, the Blues Driver is a versatile, tube-like overdrive pedal, with more of a flat/full range EQ, with more bass response, and without the pronounced mid-bump of the Tube Screamer. The BD has more volume, and has more gain on tap than a TS. With the gain dimed, the BD verges on fuzz. The BD is kind of like an amp in a box. My Keeley modded BD sounds like a Fender Super on 6. The article, linked below, explains the differences between the BD and the TS in great detail. I hope that this helps.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/ibanez-tube-screamer-vs-boss-blues-driver

Bob

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023 00:46:35

RobbieReverb wrote:

Weird oh84, the Blues Driver is a versatile, tube-like overdrive pedal, with more of a flat/full range EQ, with more bass response, and without the pronounced mid-bump of the Tube Screamer. The BD has more volume, and has more gain on tap that a TS. With the gain dimed, the BD verges on fuzz. The BD is kind of like an amp in a box. My Keeley modded BD sounds like a Fender Super on 6. The article, linked below, explains the differences between the BD and the TS in great detail. I hope that this helps.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/ibanez-tube-screamer-vs-boss-blues-driver

hey, thanks for the detailed response! This helps!

I use the BD-2 model in my Boss OD-200, also with a Boss BP-1w Booster/Preamp in front of it, for a couple levels of switchable "push" into my Quilter Aviator Mach 3. I absolutely love what that chain gives me back. (for reference using Strat style guitar, whether Fender or G&L).

Guitarist for Northern Tides from Hudson Valley, NY.
Northern Tides on FB

I got this one it's pretty amazing very low gain and transparent great sound and the fat control it the price of admission......

Had Boss Blues Driver, gave it away because it sounded so shrill and like an ice pick. I love my tubescreamer. I wondered that too, seeing so many using the blues driver and I couldn’t even stand 5 minutes of its shrill tone. Maybe I got a bad one?

desert_surfer wrote:

Had Boss Blues Driver, gave it away because it sounded so shrill and like an ice pick. I love my tubescreamer. I wondered that too, seeing so many using the blues driver and I couldn’t even stand 5 minutes of its shrill tone. Maybe I got a bad one?

_Sometimes it’s just us and our ear so for you you made the right call. That’s why I like the Blue Note it has the Fat Control or otherwise I would have the same problem you have._

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024 09:27:56

Page 1 of 1