Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
265 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
258 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
219 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
152 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
152 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
139 days ago

dp: dude
120 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
75 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
59 days ago

GDW: showman
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

84%

84%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink How clean were first wave shows?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

CaptainSensible wrote:

The Rhythm Rockers album sounds like you’re watching them play in your living room. Good stuff.

That is my idea of some great clean guitar sounds. This is why I like Surf Music, clean sounds.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

IvanP wrote:

I think that's definitely true. Exhibit A: Dick Dale's debut album, "Surfers' Choice", all recorded live. Dick's guitar sounds substantially more overdriven on there than any of his subsequent Capitol releases, all recorded in studio.

The Bobby Fuller Four live version of "Misirlou/Hava Nagila" is pretty crankin'!

Is it just my ears or is this recording much cleaner than the version on the pulp surfin' release from the 90's? I was trying to find a cleaner version of this recording a while back but failed.

Something that I neglected to mention in my earlier post is speaker distortion. It's a more subtle thing, but can definitely impact the tone of the rig. At low volumes it isn't a factor, but really pushing the amp typically brings some speaker distortion into the picture. How much, and what tone is created depends on a lot of factors, from what type of speaker, speaker composition, volume of the amp, pickups. and even the right hand technique of the guitarist.
https://www.premierguitar.com/speaking-of-distortion

Bob

RobbieReverb wrote:

Something that I neglected to mention in my earlier post is speaker distortion. It's a more subtle thing, but can definitely impact the tone of the rig. At low volumes it isn't a factor, but really pushing the amp typically brings some speaker distortion into the picture. How much, and what tone is created depends on a lot of factors, from what type of speaker, speaker composition, volume of the amp, pickups. and even the right hand technique of the guitarist.
https://www.premierguitar.com/speaking-of-distortion

It’s interesting g that you bring that up, because, way back in the day, I had a Silvertone 1483 bass amp that would distort when cranked, and the perception was that most of it was speaker distortion. I only remember that it was a gnarly sound, and that was only a 22 watt amp.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2