Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Chantays lost album, "A Dawning Sun" on Sundazed. Hey look what I got!

Page 1 of 1

I just got this in the mail today! To say I'm excited is an understatement. I've listened to a few samples, and it seems really cool. I bought the LP and the CD, which has some added tracks.

I love first wave, and I love The Chantays.

I had no idea that this was even a thing until a month or so ago. 1966 surf music, and 12 string guitars!

I'll add a review after I listen to it a few times.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: May 22, 2023 20:40:44

Yeah, I listened through it on youtube. Really cool sound, that transitional period between surf and The Doors. That's how I think of it, anyway.

I think it's so weird how an entire album of material from a popular band ended up languishing on a shelf for 5+ decades. Glad it's out now, though!

I was certainly excited by this but a bit let down by it. It just felt kind meh, didn't have the grit of Pipeline nor the intrigue of Two Sides Of. It's listenable but not buried treasure like that Woodchucks record

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Well, here's my review.

I listened to it twice on vinyl, on my classic console, and 3 times on CD.
I also listened to the LP's "Pipeline" and "2 Sides of" for some comparison.

The bad- I read the liner notes during the first listen on vinyl.
As much as I love what Bob Dalley has done for the surf world, he still needs an editor. His writing is all over the place. Sorry Bob. I might be more confused about this record after reading the liner notes?
He claims this is a project thought up by Richard Delvy (of The Bel-Airs and The Challengers fame) from 1969, as producer, using Bob Spickard and Rob Marshall, the guitar player and keyboard player of The Chantays. So not really The Chantays, but a couple of guys from the band. Fine. Some studio guys names get tossed in. Cool. But still it's not recorded in 1966, as the Sundazed website claims, and it's not really The Chantays. OK.

I guess I can live with that, although I wonder why Sundazed promoted this as recorded in 1966, by The Chantays. Seems kind of sneaky to me.

The good - there are several cuts that I really like. I think side 2 is WAY better than side one. The highlight for me is a rocking version of Mr. Moto, with a 12 string electric lead and a fuzzy guitar solo. But, in 1969, who really cares?

And there's the rub. in 1969, the Chantays were not on anyones list, and this type of music wasn't either. There are a couple of vocals that probably owe more to The Association (Windy) than surf music. And there are a few melodic instros that I won't call surf, but they are nice. I do like the reverb driven 12 string guitar, which I guess is a bonus. (12 string build to follow.)

So, I guess, as excited as I was to get this I am with ElMonstroPorFavor, a little let down. I don't know what I was expecting, but a little more honesty would have been nice. But, I might not have bought it if it was advertised and The Bob And Rob experience, or something like that.

Still, I'm happy that I bought it, in both formats. The CD has a couple bonus tracks from 1994, which I assume is more of the original band than the LP.

I really like The Chantays. I think Pipeline is the best surf song ever recorded, and I rarely get tired of hearing people play it. Bob Spickard is a heck of a nice guy, and I'm glad for him that this saw the light of day. He wrote most of the songs, and they are very cool.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: May 22, 2023 21:15:55

Sonichris wrote:

Well, here's my review.

I listened to it twice on vinyl, on my classic console, and 3 times on CD.
I also listened to the LP's "Pipeline" and "2 Sides of" for some comparison.

The bad- I read the liner notes during the first listen on vinyl.
As much as I love what Bob Dalley has done for the surf world, he still needs an editor. His writing is all over the place. Sorry Bob. I might be more confused about this record after reading the liner notes?
He claims this is a project thought up by Richard Delvy (of The Bel-Airs and The Challengers fame) from 1969, as producer, using Bob Spickard and Rob Marshall, the guitar player and keyboard player of The Chantays. So not really The Chantays, but a couple of guys from the band. Fine. Some studio guys names get tossed in. Cool. But still it's not recorded in 1966, as the Sundazed website claims, and it's not really The Chantays. OK.

I guess I can live with that, although I wonder why Sundazed promoted this as recorded in 1966, by The Chantays. Seems kind of sneaky to me.

The good - there are several cuts that I really like. I think side 2 is WAY better than side one. The highlight for me is a rocking version of Mr. Moto, with a 12 string electric lead and a fuzzy guitar solo. But, in 1969, who really cares?

And there's the rub. in 1969, the Chantays were not on anyones list, and this type of music wasn't either. There are a couple of vocals that probably owe more to The Association (Windy) than surf music. And there are a few melodic instros that I won't call surf, but they are nice. I do like the reverb driven 12 string guitar, which I guess is a bonus. (12 string build to follow.)

So, I guess, as excited as I was to get this I am with ElMonstroPorFavor, a little let down. I don't know what I was expecting, but a little more honesty would have been nice. But, I might not have bought it if it was advertised and The Bob And Rob experience, or something like that.

Still, I'm happy that I bought it, in both formats. The CD has a couple bonus tracks from 1994, which I assume is more of the original band than the LP.

I really like The Chantays. I think Pipeline is the best surf song ever recorded, and I rarely get tired of hearing people play it. Bob Spickard is a heck of a nice guy, and I'm glad for him that this saw the light of day. He wrote most of the songs, and they are very cool.

Having a hit song, at an early stage in life is a mixed blessing. Everything you do thereafter has to compete with the hit. Some bands keep the hits coming, but many do not, and once that initial momentum is dissipated, it’s hard to make lightning strike again. And that is how you end up with bands that only retain some of their members and subsequent productions are bound to suffer.

It’s almost surprising that this even exists. By the late ‘60s, no one was thinking about Surf as a marketable genre. I haven’t had a chance to listen to it, but I hope to, soon.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Sonichris wrote:

This was really sticking out to me too. It's really strange to me that they found something as cool as a lost album but have almost no information in the liner notes about how this project came to be. Like you said, a mention of 1966 on the website (why only there?!), but Dalley's information seems to disagree. Musically, I'm inclined to agree with Dalley, as I hear early 70's more than I hear 1966, when Two Sides of Chantays was released. But it shouldn't be up to Dalley to reveal this information, he's just here to give background to the Chantays, I want information on the record itself. Who's even on it?! Even if it is from 1966, the cover is a bit misleading in its own right, sticking a vintage image of the Chantays and photoshopping them onto the beach when this album is hardly an overt surfing record. I feel like they're baiting surf fans into getting more excited about it.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Page 1 of 1