Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
166 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
19 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
19 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Link between surf and sci-fi movies?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Just hitting on a couple of highs points, Jojoba.

Dick Dale really led the way, with regard to bringing middle eastern influences into Surf. He opened some big doors. There are all sorts of minor keys, emanating from different cultures. There’s a lot to be explored.

The Surf material I hear from Messer Chups appeals to me for a number of reasons, but I really love the sound of a trio; the guitar playing a melody over a bass line. That’s my preferred way to work, and I love hearing that music. A few years ago, I heard a Jazz track that was sax, bass and drums. That was pure bliss. As much as a love Surf, I also love Jazz, and in my perfect universe, I’d spend at least some of my time playing Jazz in a trio setting.

I haven’t bought any Magnatech, but having now heard some samples, I’ll be correcting that situation.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

summerfun wrote:

Joelman wrote:

I’m referring to the videos of space monsters and vampires. Being shown in the music videos. what brought this on in surf music?

Like this?

yes exactly.
I’m not nocking the songs or the videos.
I’m just wondering why?
If it were videos of guys surfing I could understand.
Space / vampires I just don’t get.

Joel

Last edited: May 01, 2023 17:51:36

DannySnyder wrote:

Joelman wrote:

Danny, the Chantays did do two space(?) songs. If you want to call them that.
the album you are drawing from was not a popular album. It was absolutely dismal.
The two songs on the album you posted alluding to space, Space Probe, and "Continental Missile,, were not what I am referring to in my sci-fi question.
I’m referring to the videos of space monsters and vampires. Being shown in the music videos. what brought this on in surf music?

Joel

I see, sorry about that Joel. Perhaps it was the influence of Big Daddy Ed Roth and his cartoons, which tied into monsters and eventually to space monsters?

Danny, I hope I didn’t offend you. I never want to do that. And I see where you are going with the album you posted, I actually almost used ‘Beyond’ for the compilation this year.

my question is more on the modern side of the surf music with videos, and talking during the music.
As far as Ed big daddy Roth
Sure big daddy Roth had some influence on cars,,but I don’t remember music. It has been a long time though.

(As an aside. A friend and I actually spent about an hour just shooting the breeze with him during a photo shoot of one of his creations. He was an interesting guy.)

maybe what I’m asking about is just an evolution of a European idea, of surf music, and I’m behind times. I still wonder how and when it started.

Last edited: May 01, 2023 18:31:40

Joelman wrote:

Danny, I hope I didn’t offend you. I never want to do that.

Not in the least

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: May 01, 2023 21:00:09

Oh if we're talking about a more modern context that's easy: It's gotta be Man or Astro-man that set the trend. Since they are drawing from older material they're obviously not the first, but they've probably had the most tangible influence on modern surf as anybody and they definitely mined that retro future vibe.

I'd actually be very curious about this: were there bands prior to them that were sampling quotes from old movies before their songs?

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

I'd actually be very curious about this: were there bands prior to them that were sampling quotes from old movies before their songs?

As I said in my first response in this thread: the trend started in the 80's with post-punk bands who used audio from old films because they thought it made them look and sound intellectual. This wasn't really space related, but the idea to do this kind of thing was born then. It didn't start in surf, but in post-punk/new wave. As for your first part, yes, there have been instro bands that used "space sounds" (Telstar, Space Race, Moon Relay etc.) "Space" was quite the rage around 1961 onwards due to the actual space race being in full force and the successes of the USSR (Yuri Gagarin being the first man in space and so on).

Albums:
"Introducing..." (8 September 2021), "Impala '59" (17 July 2022), "De Favorieten Expres!" (22 November 2022 - charity album)
EP's:
Mr. Magnatech is not afraid of you! (2020), Surfin' the Tolka! (2021), An Evening With Magnatech (2023)
7":
Lana Del Rey/Do You Believe In Surf? (2020), Bundoran/Sweet Surfin' Sabine (2021), Cymopoleia/ Surfin' Demon Twist (2021), Dr Mabuse/Zombie Love Theme (2022)
Compilers:
Surfin' Kitty Xmas Vol. 2 (2021), Surfin' Kitty Xmas Vol. 3 (2022)
Sea Sea Rider (2022)
Surfin' Britannica vol 3 (2022)
Triple Agent IV compilation (2023)
Continental Magazine compiler (2023)
_An Evening With Magnatech (June 2023)
"Herr Magnatech Bittet Zum Tanz" (October2023)
7" "Do the Swine"/"Suvla Bay" (December 2023)
_Surfin' Kitty vol 4 (compiler)

https://magnatech.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/magnatechmusic
https://www.magnatech-music.com
https://sharawaji.bandcamp.com
https://sharawaji.com

Last edited: May 02, 2023 14:12:23

synchro wrote:

Dick Dale really led the way, with regard to bringing middle eastern influences into Surf. He opened some big doors. There are all sorts of minor keys, emanating from different cultures. There’s a lot to be explored.

The Surf material I hear from Messer Chups appeals to me for a number of reasons, but I really love the sound of a trio; the guitar playing a melody over a bass line. That’s my preferred way to work, and I love hearing that music. A few years ago, I heard a Jazz track that was sax, bass and drums. That was pure bliss. As much as a love Surf, I also love Jazz, and in my perfect universe, I’d spend at least some of my time playing Jazz in a trio setting.

Tastes differ of course and if you like their sound that is fine with me. For myself I need a sound to be a bit "fuller", less empty if you will. What I found is that a melody is nearly always in cooperation with a rhythm guitar section sounding a little better due to harmonics etc. But that's just my taste. I can't say anything about Jazz because I simply don't know enough about it, but I appreciate old, smooth jazz from, what's his name, Charly or Cole Parker - just sth nice in the background.
For myself as favorite non-surf/instro genres I would have to say generally any black music from the 50's and 60's and in particular soul and even more in particular (haha) deep soul. I love the rough yet melodic voices from ppl like Lee Moses, Johnny Sayles, Little Willie John, Sam Cooke etc, etc. "You Hurt Me" by Little Willie John is a masterpiece! If you have never listened to that one, I'd urge you to have a listen Smile Next to that, 60's Garage rock (or punk as some call it) would be a favorite. Some post punk bands I like as well.
In the 80's I did play Garage rock for a while, covering stuff from the Fuzztones, Gunclub, Cramps, Lyres and loads of 60's teen bands.

I haven’t bought any Magnatech, but having now heard some samples, I’ll be correcting that situation.

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the support Smile

Albums:
"Introducing..." (8 September 2021), "Impala '59" (17 July 2022), "De Favorieten Expres!" (22 November 2022 - charity album)
EP's:
Mr. Magnatech is not afraid of you! (2020), Surfin' the Tolka! (2021), An Evening With Magnatech (2023)
7":
Lana Del Rey/Do You Believe In Surf? (2020), Bundoran/Sweet Surfin' Sabine (2021), Cymopoleia/ Surfin' Demon Twist (2021), Dr Mabuse/Zombie Love Theme (2022)
Compilers:
Surfin' Kitty Xmas Vol. 2 (2021), Surfin' Kitty Xmas Vol. 3 (2022)
Sea Sea Rider (2022)
Surfin' Britannica vol 3 (2022)
Triple Agent IV compilation (2023)
Continental Magazine compiler (2023)
_An Evening With Magnatech (June 2023)
"Herr Magnatech Bittet Zum Tanz" (October2023)
7" "Do the Swine"/"Suvla Bay" (December 2023)
_Surfin' Kitty vol 4 (compiler)

https://magnatech.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/magnatechmusic
https://www.magnatech-music.com
https://sharawaji.bandcamp.com
https://sharawaji.com

I wonder if the Sci Fi link might be as simple as going for a retro vibe, and conflating Sci Fi with the world of Surf Music. I’m not suggesting that there’s any reason to conflate these things, but when it comes to music of the past, some people are nostalgic for a world that they never actually experienced, and never actually existed.

Jojobaplant wrote:

synchro wrote:

Tastes differ of course and if you like their sound that is fine with me. For myself I need a sound to be a bit "fuller", less empty if you will. What I found is that a melody is nearly always in cooperation with a rhythm guitar section sounding a little better due to harmonics etc. But that's just my taste. I can't say anything about Jazz because I simply don't know enough about it, but I appreciate old, smooth jazz from, what's his name, Charly or Cole Parker - just sth nice in the background.
For myself as favorite non-surf/instro genres I would have to say generally any black music from the 50's and 60's and in particular soul and even more in particular (haha) deep soul. I love the rough yet melodic voices from ppl like Lee Moses, Johnny Sayles, Little Willie John, Sam Cooke etc, etc. "You Hurt Me" by Little Willie John is a masterpiece! If you have never listened to that one, I'd urge you to have a listen Smile Next to that, 60's Garage rock (or punk as some call it) would be a favorite. Some post punk bands I like as well.
In the 80's I did play Garage rock for a while, covering stuff from the Fuzztones, Gunclub, Cramps, Lyres and loads of 60's teen bands.

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the support Smile

A lot of it is a matter of taste. I like the sound of a guitar playing a melody over a bass line, with no other polyphonic instruments in the mix. This is how I play, and my strong preference.

Bebop, such as Charlie Parker not only played, but pretty much invented, was not known for its smoothness. The changes tended to to have some pretty sharp bends, and the tone centers moved swiftly. It was, and still is, challenging to play. The “Smooth Jazz” of today tends to have few, if any tone center changes, which is what makes it smooth. In many ways, it’s like the Soft Rock of the ‘70s, with lots of airy Major 7th chords and other harmonic devices to make it suitable as background music.

The Bebop I used to listen to in the Jazz clubs was pretty raw. Interestingly, the head might be played very straight, like it was Dinner Music, but when the solos started, it got a bit different. The double bass ran the show, and if there was a guitarist playing chords, it was probably “comping” over the bass line, and not the even rhythm playing of the big bands.

Actually, in this setting, I always felt that less was more, because the bass line didn’t tend to lock me down, and left me free to play altered chords, or to improvise as if I was playing over altered chords.

When I play, be it Surf, or Classic Rock, I like to use that same ethic; keeping things open. If I’m playing Country, I appreciate a good rhythm player, but chord substitutions are not used often in Country.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2