Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New Jaguar Day

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 16:00:45

synchro wrote:

A Daphne Blue guitar stands out like a streetwalker at High Mass Smile among that group of guitars

What's wrong with that? I mean, though aesthetics is subjective et al, contrast is something that is usually desirable in art - conveying movement, action, life. I love Fender so much for their candy color array. Daphne Blue is such a great color, isn't it what drew you to this specific guitar in the 1st place?
If you insist to mod, accentuate it, make a sparkle layer on top...

Tqi wrote:

synchro wrote:

I hang my guitars on slat-wall and they are all warm colors: Red, Maroon, Natural, (Gretsch) Orange, etc. A Daphne Blue guitar stands out like a streetwalker at High Mass Smile

among that group of guitars, so I am anticipating that I may more than double my investment by ordering a Warmoth Body.

Oh, berf. I could understand you doing some custom refin in Fiesta Red, but replacing the whole body is maybe a stretch. Very Happy

Especially since unlike the VM, this is solid poplar - good, tough, traditional 70's Fender wood!

If I were to do that, I would also likely upgrade the electrical components and begin the lengthy transition to this becoming a custom instrument. You know the old saying; Warmoth is nature’s way of telling you that you have too much money. Smile

Yeah, that definitely checks out. Just saying, if you end up doing a Marvel impression after three days, maybe you should have just built a new ship from scratch. ;)

I actually already think of it as the Jaguar of Theseus. There is method to my madness. If I forge on with this plan, I will eventually end up with two Jaguars, and I’ll either sell, or give away the reconstituted Squier.

This purchase was somewhat an experiment, to see if I could make peace with a Jaguar. I didn’t want to make a large, irreversible, purchase. If there had been a US made, vintage-spec’ model in stock at the local GC, I might have actually started there, but I sort of like this approach. For one thing, there is no urgency … whatsoever. I have a great, playable, Jaguar, and the only thing I am not pleased with is the color. (That was the only color they had.) Honestly, if this was a sunburst one, I’d probably leave it as it is. But …

I’ve wanted a Jaguar for a looooong time, and if I build one via the Ship of Theseus approach, I’ll go for exactly what I want, which is to say the type of sunburst that is exactly to my tastes, my favorite machine heads (assuming that I replace the neck) and all that good stuff. I’ve been toying with this notion for some time, and have mocked up any number of dream Jaguars, over the years. I just wish I knew where to get a gold plated AVRI tremolo.

Poplar might be nice.

Ariel wrote:

synchro wrote:

A Daphne Blue guitar stands out like a streetwalker at High Mass Smile among that group of guitars

What's wrong with that? I mean, though aesthetics is subjective et al, contrast is something that is usually desirable in art - conveying movement, action, life. I love Fender so much for their candy color array. Daphne Blue is such a great color, isn't it what drew you to this specific guitar in the 1st place?
If you insist to mod, accentuate it, make a sparkle layer on top...

In a herd of guitars in warm colors, it doesn’t really fit in. I bought the Daphne Blue, because that was all I could find, and it is a nice axe. I appreciate Fender’s colors, but among my collection, it just doesn’t look right.

Nothing has happened yet.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 16:01:27

Tqi wrote:

synchro wrote:

Poplar might be nice.

But it's already poplar! Very Happy

But this is prettier poplar. Besides that, I need to spend some money; it’s been 18 hours since I’ve made a major purchase and I’m getting shaky. Smile

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 16:01:35

Tqi wrote:

synchro wrote:

But this is prettier poplar. Besides that, I need to spend some money; it’s been 18 hours since I’ve made a major purchase and I’m getting shaky. Smile

If your pocket's smoking that hard, I'll DM you my address and you can buy me a damn 290FEX power transformer. Razz

Actually, better idea - buy yourself a 290FX, and a Heyboer 45268-1, and make yourself a Blonde Showman. You can get a blue headshell and cab for it so your guitar isn't lonely any more, and keep the warm-coloured SRRI for the guitars. Very Happy

I just turned down a smoking hot deal on a mint ‘62 Bandmaster. The only reason I didn’t pull the trigger, was that I knew it would rarely, if ever see use on a gig. I have a Twin, which is in a Showman style case, and it almost always lives in my storage room. Since the lockdown, there have not been a lot of playing opportunities.

The biggest amplification challenge I have is my Bass VI. I have a 600 watt Genz Benz bass amp that I can crank up the treble on, but I’d love to find the best amp for that bad boy.

A couple more hours with the Jaguar, tonight. I’m really amazed by the range of this little axe. Surf one minute, Jazz the next, and it doesn’t even break a sweat.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 16:01:46

Tqi wrote:

synchro wrote:

I just turned down a smoking hot deal on a mint ‘62 Bandmaster. The only reason I didn’t pull the trigger, was that I knew it would rarely, if ever see use on a gig. I have a Twin, which is in a Showman style case, and it almost always lives in my storage room. Since the lockdown, there have not been a lot of playing opportunities.

Hmm. I ever tell you about my design for an 8W Showman clone using a Quad of EF80? Had an issue keeping the Transformer design guy on task, unfortunately, but it's a cool concept you might find interesting.

That is a very cool idea.

I like the Ship of Theseus analogy - I did this with a cheap Stratocaster copy someone gave me. Changed all the parts over time with real Fender parts (or other quality bits) until I finally switched out the body as well. Then I reconstituted the cheapo, though with a good set of replacement pickups. The good Strat stays home and the copy resides elsewhere for random occasions.

edwardsand wrote:

I like the Ship of Theseus analogy - I did this with a cheap Stratocaster copy someone gave me. Changed all the parts over time with real Fender parts (or other quality bits) until I finally switched out the body as well. Then I reconstituted the cheapo, though with a good set of replacement pickups. The good Strat stays home and the copy resides elsewhere for random occasions.

I think we are on the same wavelength. This is an instrument, and it’s a project, as well. At this point, I have a guitar which feels good in my hands and plays well. The AV trem’ is incredibly responsive and is perfect for Surf. I’m not sure where this will go next. I may never make another change, or I may do the Ship of Theseus trick and replace every part, until I have a truly custom Jaguar. I wouldn’t be surprised if the mods continue.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2