Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
267 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
260 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
221 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
154 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
154 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
141 days ago

dp: dude
122 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
77 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
61 days ago

GDW: showman
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

84%

84%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Surf Transcriptions

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5

BB_Bunny wrote:

Lone Surfer by Johnny Fortune from "Soul Surfer"
(not to be confused with "Lonely Surfer")

This one was pretty fun to work on! I don't know much about Johnny Fortune, but while I was working on this I got the sneaking suspicion the guy has at least a little bit of a background in classical guitar. A lot of the ways things are played across strings and controlling when voices ring as opposed to when they're stopped by either using open strings or closed (especially when it came to open B vs 4th fret g string B) is how classical guitarists would think about playing stuff. His album cover also features him holding his right hand against the strings as if he was going to play it with his fingers and if you zoom in, you can see he grew his nails out. To me, this is the smoking gun.
My suspicions were confirmed in the section starting at mm. 43 where he plays arpeggios with his thumb and uses his index, middle, and ring finger (annex to you classical nerds out there) to tremolo a top note at the same time. It's quiet, but it's definitely there! Again, that finger independence required to control different volume levels of each distinct 'voice' is definitely a classical thing. To my ears, it sounds like he switches between fingerstyle and plectrum use depending on the section. It's a little hard to see in the picture, but it looks like he's got a thumb pick on, so I'd guess that's what he's using for the 'picked' sections. Really interesting approach!!! I'm not a fan of thumb picks, so I'd probably keep my pick wedged in the 2nd segment of my index or middle finger sort of pinched between the 1st and 2nd knuckle. It takes a little practice, but like anything else, after awhile making that switch becomes second nature.

Anyway, this was a cool project with some surprises that I never would have noticed if not transcribing.

Transcription note: There are a few pitches that I wasn't sure were intentional in the guitar. It sounds like he's holding down chord forms for some of these passages and may have accidentally struck and adjacent string. Those parts are marked with combined () and ?. The notes work harmonically, but it always feels a little strange to add notes above what feels like the main melody since it tends to obscure the movement of the line. I'll let you decide how to play it at home, but I'd personally probably mute those or avoid picking them. Also, the trumpet player definitely biffs a note on measure 79, but I wrote what I'm nearly 100% positive it was supposed to be.

Oh WOW! Thanks so much for doing this…! Amazing!

BB_Bunny wrote:

synchro wrote:

BB Bunny, that is some exceptional transcribing. I rearely use charts, because so many of them are poorly written, and contain inaccuracies, but this is a pleasure to read.

THANK YOU! That is probably the best compliment I could have gotten. I typically don't use tabs for the same reason. These initially started as scratch notation just to help me remember stuff, but a geeky part of me enjoys trying to make stuff look nice so I've taken it as a chance to book up on doing proper guitar notation which, despite being both a guitarist and a composer, I've oddly never really messed around with.
btw, I've been updating the pdf as I play through this myself if I catch things that could be changed. The most recent version has an alt fingering for a squirrely passage at mm. 29-30 that might be easier. It's an awkward shift coming out of that E-minor arpeggio and a bit of a stretch, but I think it fits better under the fingers, and sets you up nicely for the descending riff at 31. If you really want to go 'classical guitar' with it, you could grab an open E for that last note at mm. 28 which will buy you a quarter note worth of time to make the shift, though I don't think that's what Mr. Fortune is doing here. There timbre doesn't seem to change as I'd expect if he grabbed that open string.

I wish there were videos of Mr. Fortune playing this. There are quite a few places that I'd like to know exactly what choices he was making.

Even commercially produced “Note for Note” transcriptions I’ve bought will have the occasional error, so I’ve learned to take the good, and ignore what doesn’t work. Your work appears excellent. I haven’t played it, but I “sung” it in my head and it works. The tablature fingerings look good, as well.

What software are you using for this?

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I use Finale for notation. It’s a pain in the butt, but I’m used to it by now.

that fast arpeggiated bit with the 16th notes is a bear. I’m still reevaluating my fingerings as I try to work this up to full tempo so take some of that stuff with a grain of salt. I’ve been updating the pdf from time to time as I catch other details that need addressing. All that said, this is really fun to play.

Premiere Single Out Now! - Keep On Running
Psychic Chime - Instagram
Psychic Chime - Twitter
Professional Website (film-scoring)

I’ve yet to try a notation program that wasn’t a pain to deal with.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

How about the Messer Chups version of "Enjoy The Silence"?

Please, that is!

Ha!
Soul surfer.
I always think of Gary Hoey.

Last edited: Aug 01, 2024 16:15:32

Joelman wrote:

Ha!
Soul surfer.

So good! Is it just me or can you absolutely hear the guitar face in this recording? Laughing

Premiere Single Out Now! - Keep On Running
Psychic Chime - Instagram
Psychic Chime - Twitter
Professional Website (film-scoring)

BB_Bunny wrote:

Joelman wrote:

Ha!
Soul surfer.

So good! Is it just me or can you absolutely hear the guitar face in this recording? Laughing

Yep.

Hello, I would like to suggest another Messer Chups song, this time "Charade". Thanks.

If you’re still taking requests….. could you give Surf Man by the Vara-Tones / Richie Allen a shot? It’s one of my faves and I’ve been having trouble figuring it out…
I’m about 95% sure it’s tuned down (like the Centurions)and uses harmonic tremolo….?

https://youtu.be/umQA9noQwxE?si=wF9g1zDDjYNrMYHQ

https://youtu.be/5ScdWgevnOo?si=RnDIEQp1tuthT08f

Last edited: Aug 25, 2024 07:43:02

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5