Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Rich Fifield of the Astronauts has passed

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Oh no. While looking into the Rich Fifield death information, I had the idea to contact Jon (Stormy) Patterson, the bass player and vocalist for the Astronauts. Seems he died last year, May 24 2022.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/dailycamera/name/jon-patterson-obituary?id=35225989

So, while the death of Rich Fifield may still be in question, it appears that all of The Astronauts have passed away. I'm super bummed.

As an aside - Rich Fifield's last known address is literally 3.1 miles from where I work, so I'll drive by some time soon and knock on the door and see if Rich answers the door.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

I've saw several news stories of his passing, a year or two ago.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

synchro wrote:

I've saw several news stories of his passing, a year or two ago.

News stories of who? Rich Fifield, or Stormy Patterson, or Jim Gallagher? There is some question as to whether or not Rich Fifield actually died, as his name and Jim Gallagher's were confused by Robert Dalley when Jim died. There is a woman on facebook who insists Rich isn't dead. She claims there would be a Boulder Camera news obituary if it were true, and there isn't one.

She has no other evidence.

It's enough for me to go by his house and see - I've always felt bad for never having made the effort to meet any of those guys.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: May 12, 2023 22:32:44

I don't remember the source, but I recall seeing a story regarding Fifeld's death, over a year ago. Perhaps it was misreported. I tried looking at the Daily Camera's site, yesterday, but they block the screen and want you to subscribe, which I wasn't about to do.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I heard back from the person that contacted me. She's an old friend and didn't want to believe. But apparently she found a friend in Boulder who confirmed that Rich Fifield had passed.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

MelPhantomSurfers wrote:

Bob Dalley reported yesterday that we lost one of the greats. Anyone who plays or enjoys Surf owes a debt of gratitude to Rich Fifield. For a few years his band burned white hot, and released genre defining recordings. The world may not note his passing, but this little corner won’t forget. God bless The Astronauts.

Prayers for his many loved ones.

Michael B. Coats

Last edited: May 16, 2023 09:31:26

Goto Page: Previous 1 2