Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Mr.Moto (cover) concludes our before-she-turns-11-all-surf-shooting campaign

Page 1 of 1

Finally, on International Blood Donor day, my young surf guitarist daughter Mina turns 11, and our Mr. Moto (cover) wraps up our little campaign, as dad has this humble goal of trying to shoot footages of all surf songs we have done before she turned 11. I think altogether we have learned and performed 28 or so surf songs through out the years. Time always flies, and I hope the footages will make a good present for her when she grows up. I hope the new generation will carry on with the love and passion for surf music as well.

I tell ya. it's been a lot of fun jamming surf songs with my daughter! I thank her for her patience, time and love for gigging and jamming with her old man. Wink

And the complete playlist Mina has prepared for you is here:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg37xYAoB-eVROkAKL7oboYcoLAWQxlrU

Cheers!

Another stunning performance. I could take some lessons from Mina to get my performing face better. She always looks like she’s having so much fun, just devastatingly charming. Happy Birthday little surf shredder!

Last time I asked I didn’t get ab answer - how many guitars do you have?!! That sonic blue jag is NICE.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Another stunning performance. I could take some lessons from Mina to get my performing face better. She always looks like she’s having so much fun, just devastatingly charming. Happy Birthday little surf shredder!

Last time I asked I didn’t get ab answer - how many guitars do you have?!! That sonic blue jag is NICE.

Hey Dan, thank you for your kind words. ;-))) Will relay your birthday message to Mina. Wink It took her like 1 year to learn how to smile and play at the same time. U see, if we play on stage, a lot of the audience don't know us. So I told her the best thing to do is to look friendly and smile, as we don't have killer skills and all, and we are already grateful enough people come and watch, and clap hands and all. I told her it is normal to be nervous, and when people are nervous, we forget to smile and people might think we don't enjoy playing the guitar or performing. It took us 6 months to learn how to play the guitar standing up, and almost 1 year for her to play and smile at the same time.

Mina joined a Gibson Guitar hero competition last Sat (play rock and metal though but not surf) and wait till you see her "studio face".

* I removed the Gibson link with the studio face and here's a new one with the local competition, with the usual smile!!!! *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnTHDLEEKY4

She did ask if she could sit down and play, as she wanted to concentrate on playing, as Gibson needed it to be recorded live and no editing nor effects allowed in the video. She thought no NGs were allowed too, so she was really serious. hahaha.....kids. But she DID finish another shooting on the same day for another local summer concert competition, not with a studio face this time. hahaha.

As to how many guitars, I think altogether, maybe 12 electric guitars and basses and a few acoustic ones. Some of them pre-owned, some of them gifts, but all have their own stories with us. Now she needs another one with 24 frets and a sustainiac pickup for performing a few songs she has been working on. I have to work extra hard or perhaps win some money I hope from those competitions she enters and hope the cash can help out a bit. hahaha!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021 23:39:05

‘Maybe 12” haha! I’m pretty sure I’ve seen at least twenty...

Hey thanks a lot for the run down of the face-practicing! I will have to try that. I used to be fine, but lately it’s been all serious. I guess being confronted with my lack of guitar skills did it.

So now that she’s in the double digits, is the surf dead? What’s with the age 11 cut off? “Dad I’m eleven which means I’m an adult so you can’t make me play surf anymore?”

And - have you guys ever written anything? These covers are wild and cool, but I’d love to hear any originals you may have.

Dan

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

‘Maybe 12” haha! I’m pretty sure I’ve seen at least twenty...

Hey thanks a lot for the run down of the face-practicing! I will have to try that. I used to be fine, but lately it’s been all serious. I guess being confronted with my lack of guitar skills did it.

So now that she’s in the double digits, is the surf dead? What’s with the age 11 cut off? “Dad I’m eleven which means I’m an adult so you can’t make me play surf anymore?”

And - have you guys ever written anything? These covers are wild and cool, but I’d love to hear any originals you may have.

Dan

Hey Dan, I changed the link...it's the second competition. They just accepted her. It's not surf, but I hope you will like it. Some surf music lovers tell me they actually play and love other genres of rock too. So I hope it's ok I share it here. She did the FX herself....kids. hahaha. Again, recorded and shot when she was still 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnTHDLEEKY4

The little campaign ended, but our surf heart won't end. I must say, I am pretty proud of her. I wouldn't know how to document this pre-11 era, so i decided to shoot some videos. I think it's normal for a teenager or adult to play well, yet a kid at 10, I'd say she is pretty good I guess.

We will be playing new surf songs soon, as it is our core music! And yes, I am kind of surprised too that we actually wrote a few songs. We needed them for the local Summer concert cos we got invited to play there. I hope the footage will be ready soon. More cool songs will be ready. Her exams are coming so I let her deal with her finals first. ;-))) Thank you for your support!!

Page 1 of 1