Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
332 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Pre Gig Rituals

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

SurfBandBill
Oh, then I do a lot of blow.

I must have missed Bill's "Hey guys, I just joined Interpol" thread in the Shallow End.

-Warrem

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

What can I say? Interpol called, and those little one-string guitar leads called my name. Now I get to do blow off of butts all around the globe. I still prefer cleavage blow, but what can you do? Either one beats the toilet (which, sadly, the booker at the old Aptos Club was doing when we played there with Surf Report).

~B~

The TomorrowMen usual warm up with a little Barbershop harmony. We can sing a mean "My Wild Irish Rose".

Science friction burns my fingers.

I wash my hands. After hauling gear and setting up I can't stand touching my guitars with dirty hands so I head off to the nearest sink.

There is Surf east of Sepulveda.

Ha, this is gonna sound really weird but when I'm nervous my body temperature goes down and my hands get REALLY cold, that affects my playing so I have to rub them real hard against an absorbant surface like my shirt or my pant pockets so they get warm again and the sweat dries off so I can play comfortably, I also take a series of deep breaths so my body gets enough oxygen. I check the EQ, I tune my guitar, TURN UP THE REVERB !, adjust the pedal knobs, and basically check and recheck every little thing. And THEN I can start playing. I'm too young for beer or any other type of booze but maybe I'll try that when I get older. Ha ha ha ha. Very Happy

Augusto Vite

www.facebook.com/carne.y.cosas

Fripperton
I wash my hands. After hauling gear and setting up I can't stand touching my guitars with dirty hands so I head off to the nearest sink.

Yep, I have this one as well, that may stem from being a plumber during the day and not wanting to contaminate the guitars at night... Confused

Three Boilermakers and a half 'o pack of Camels...

I have my guitar blessed by a Hawaiian priestess.

CUTBACK

What guitar?? Drool

Ron (ToneBoy)
The Mariners (1964 to Present) www.myspace.com/themarinersfirstwave
Lonzo & Oscar (1999 to Present) www.lonzoandoscar.net
www.myspace.com/lonzoandoscarcomedy
Billy Henson & Summerstorm (2001 to Present)

I'm changing my pre gig stuff... Drool

Chopper
Oh, and I'm usually pretty hopped up on tea at this point Cool

And I thought I was the only one to drink tea before a gig!

Usually I set up my amps and effects, then go wash my hands, then pull out my guitar, tune up and play some tricky song parts (not through amp), then it's tea time. Under unfavorable circumstances, I also get cold, sweaty hands right before a show.

Matter is just energy waiting to happen.

1 warm case of Blatz.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

BillAqua
1 warm case of Blatz.

I was curious, so I googled Blatz beer, this review is one I found...

Blatz Beer
G. Heileman Brewing Co
Steve: An old Wisconsin brewery label, dating back to 1852, which coincidentally is the same birth year as the people who still drink this. OK, slight exaggeration, but I can say with certainty that this is primarily consumed by male Wisconsonians between the ages of 50 and death. After buying a 40 oz (smallest single size I could find at Carl's in Merrill, WI), an old woman walked out with a case (carrying it in one hand), and at that point I wish I had done what Rocky did and offered her a buck for one of them. According to my father-in-law, the guys down at the plant drink this by the case because it has no taste at all. It's a horrible beer, but I can't say that it tastes bad, because it doesn't taste like anything. It's like that flavored water that Gatorade makes, except that instead of fruit flavors, they gave it a touch of beer flavor. I got halfway through the 40 before pouring the rest down my mother-in-law's sink drain (by the way, Marge, I took care of that clog for you). (10/23/2004)

Can it really be that bad?

I am a real stickler about having quiet time before a show. I ask that none of my band members talk to me. lol. ( mainly cause their energy is off the wall )
I have to get inside my own head before performing, and when I dont have that quiet space, I don't play well.
I used to have a beer as I went onstage, but I stopped drinking altogether, and have had to re-think my pre-stage rituals.

The Mighty Surf Lords- Sparks,Nv.
"Praise The Lords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTDYfy0xM8
www.myspace.com/themightysurflords
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mightysurflords

Back in my Surf Report days, Mr. E would bring scotch, plastic cups, and ice and we would have a few in the parking lot. Then he'd proceed to burn copius amounts baja dried twigs which made the rhythm section "interesting?" Shocked

Nowadays my pre-show routine consists giving my kid a bath, sneaking out of the house and downing a few pints before we go on.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I used to get so nervous I'd puke before shows.

That's hardcore.

Matter is just energy waiting to happen.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2