Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » For Sale / Trade »

Permalink The One and Only Gomez Surfer Combo 15

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

This is a photograph of my Gomez Surfer Combo 15. Only two were ever built, and one was separated into a head with cab. So like the Highlander, there is only one. This photograph was taken on the stage of the REX theater in Pittsburgh when the Atomic Mosquitos opened for Dick Dale.

I was discussing this amp with a friend the other day, and when I hung up I decided I really had to play it again. But it developed a glitch. On Standby with no input, the amp buzzes loudly and the speaker throbs. With input and Standby Off there is no output at all.

I've been told it could be 1) Loose tube(s), 2) one or both of the 7025 preamp tubes could be bad, 3) a power tube failing and taking the grid resistor with it.

My dilemma is I have enough neuropathy from chemotherapy that I don't trust my fingers to swap tubes. I have two finger strength levels and they both feel the same to me - nothing happens or I break something. Not optimal for swapping tubes.

As anyone who has played or heard this amp will tell you, it sounds absolutely amazing. It has been an honor and a privilege to own this amplifier. But I've really been more it's caretaker, making it available to guitarists who want to play it, whether at the Instro Summit or here in Pittsburgh.

But I now think the time has come to find it a new and better owner. I'm currently trying to find someone to help me out with the tubes issue, and check its caps and resistors. But I don't think I can justify keeping it any longer. I'm open to ideas. What do you think? Thank you!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I'm no tech but I'd suspect a power tube over a preamp tube with no output. Is it bias vary trem? If so, throbbing trem would be related to an output as well.

That's an awesome amp. Can I ask how much it weighs?

Neptune Trojans

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021 14:51:30

WOW. I am so fuckin sad to read about your finger and health issues. That sucks man. Your attitude seems elevated, which is awesome. I am pretty bitter about my injuries, and they’re not half as bad as yours. I wish I could come over and help with the tubes. Have you ever read the Dark Horse comic Concrete? He has a similar thing where he has no idea how hard to grip things and breaks a bunch of stuff. (It’s because he was put into an alien body!)

I’m dying for a brown Pro. But HOT DOG this would fit the bill! DAMN. If you’re gonna ship it, I recommend removing the chassis and speaker and sending all three things separately!

What circuit is it based on?

Daniel Deathtide

BrentD wrote:

I'm no tech but I'd suspect a power tube over a preamp tube with no output. Is it bias vary trem? If so, throbbing trem would be related to an output as well.

That's an awesome amp. Can I ask how much it weighs?

It weighs approximately 65 pounds, maybe one or two more.

DeathTide wrote:

WOW. I am so fuckin sad to read about your finger and health issues. That sucks man. Your attitude seems elevated, which is awesome. I am pretty bitter about my injuries, and they’re not half as bad as yours. I wish I could come over and help with the tubes. Have you ever read the Dark Horse comic Concrete? He has a similar thing where he has no idea how hard to grip things and breaks a bunch of stuff. (It’s because he was put into an alien body!)

I’m dying for a brown Pro. But HOT DOG this would fit the bill! DAMN. If you’re gonna ship it, I recommend removing the chassis and speaker and sending all three things separately!

What circuit is it based on?

It's a mid-year 1961 Brownface Showman.

Ah a 6g14! That’s the one I want...

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Ah a 6g14! That’s the one I want...

Are you feeling better, recovered well?

Front and back.

Noel wrote:

Are you feeling better, recovered well?

Hey thanks for asking - and yes! My finger seems completely recovered after about five weeks of semi-painful desensitization exercises! The latest theory is that I had an old injury to the nerve (possibly from flossing!) and the nerve “overgrew” back when it healed. Apparently this is common, and as such it was over-sensitized. My arms are definitely not healed, and likely won’t ever be, but I can play again! I am back at work on ncis and the arms are holding up. My head and heart are reeling looking at those photos!

Hey what about using a mousepad or some kind of semi-soft grippy material to remove the tube? Maybe something that uses the whole hand rather than just fingers?

Daniel Deathtide

Noel wrote:

It weighs approximately 65 pounds, maybe one or two more.

Thanks for that info, I was curious about how it would compare to something like a Twin. I'd love to have one of those but I hope you find a way to keep it.

Neptune Trojans

Hi, Noel.

That amp is indeed a beaut, and it sounded great at the Atomic Mosquitoes/DD show. I should know this, but how many watts?

Thanks, and be well,
Ed

How much are you asking for the amp in the current condition? Out of curiosity...

To Boldly go where no Tiki has gone before...

still for sale?

Was it ever for sale?

Daniel Deathtide

Noel wrote:

This is a photograph of my Gomez Surfer Combo 15. Only two were ever built, and one was separated into a head with cab. So like the Highlander, there is only one.

Don't know if Noel has kept or sold his, but I can vouch for his lead in. There were indeed two built as combo's by Dario. I have the other, and as Noel notes, had it converted to head & tone-ring cab with Dario's help.

Still that way today. In fact, even got to stretch out a little as part of a recent 'Great 'Rona Come Back' outing. Woot! Woot! (Surfer formerly known as a combo peeking out from behind the board on the right there.)

photo

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021 06:34:36

I bet it would be a bit of a bidding war if Noel offered it here... One that I’d try to win!

Daniel Deathtide

Speaking of Gomez Combo Amps. I too have one.

I still have mine. In fact I just had it serviced to ensure it's in tip-top condition. I brought it down to the Instro Summit after I acquired it, where more than a few people played it besides me. But the last time it was played out was by Paul Carson of Atomic Mosquitos when they opened for Dick Dale at the Rex Theater at his last appearence here in Pittsburgh in 2017. Over the last couple of years it's been played since here at home by Mike Vivisector, the guys from Los Freneticos, and Lorenzo Valdambrini.

My circumstances have changed. I'll find out next month if I'm one year cancer-free. But I am not free of the neuropathy which has left my fingers numb and imprecise. I haven't played guitar in a while. My wife is currently receiving radiation after completing her chemotherapy. I don't envision this amp ever being played out by me anywhere again. I'm currently trying to decide if keeping it is in its best interest, or mine. I already sold by Music Man 130 212-HD for the same reason. If I do decide to sell my Gomez Surfer, I'll offer it here first. It will have to be local pickup only, as I have don't have the expertise or ability to properly pack it for safe shipping. It is heavy. But I'm open if someone local could handle that for me. The only other thing I can think of is bringing it down to next year's StompFest and meeting a buyer there.

What do you all think? I really didn't want my first post after so long an absense to be about this. But I guess I kind of explained why.

Happy trails!

Fady wrote:

Noel wrote:

This is a photograph of my Gomez Surfer Combo 15. Only two were ever built, and one was separated into a head with cab. So like the Highlander, there is only one.

Don't know if Noel has kept or sold his, but I can vouch for his lead in. There were indeed two built as combo's by Dario. I have the other, and as Noel notes, had it converted to head & tone-ring cab with Dario's help.

Still that way today. In fact, even got to stretch out a little as part of a recent 'Great 'Rona Come Back' outing. Woot! Woot! (Surfer formerly known as a combo peeking out from behind the board on the right there.)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021 13:53:55

I am so sorry to hear about your medical issues, Noel. I truly hope you will start feeling better soon. Please keep us updated on your situation.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Noel- I messaged you here. I live in state college, PA and I’m interested in this amp. Thanks

Peace to you, not on you

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next