Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink **Thank you** for supporting Sound Of The Surf

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the Indiegogo campaign.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sound-of-the-surf/

We reached the funding goal in 7 days! I'm deeply encouraged that so many people have stuck by my side in the face of challenges.

With this first level of funding I can pay off Getty Images and prep for the final edit in Feb using the higher quality images. Last year I signed a commitment with Getty for all the remaining needs of the film. For example, a photo of the Beatles, Martin Luther King, or Duane Eddy, etc. Immediately after signing I had an investor renege on his pledge and then COVID hit shortly after.

Again, I can't begin to explain how your support has kept the project alive and moving forward. After the Kickstarter I changed the focus from 'selling DVDs' to 'Producing' and the community stepped right up to the plate with numerous Producers kicking in.

Thanks, Tom

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Last edited: Dec 07, 2020 10:28:04

I just made my pledge again, at Indiegogo, after the Kickstarter campaign pooped out. There have been more updates about this project on Facebook than here at good ole' SG101, but I thought I'd pass along this FB post in case anyone is interested:

Reminder: The Indiegogo campaign officially ends tomorrow, Friday 1/8/21. There is a lot going on behind the scenes, all good, but I will update you with the next steps this weekend. The funds you have provided are being put to good use. Had a death in the family on New Years so I'm a bit behind in communications. Link to campaign is in comments below. Thanks, Tom

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

I pledged a few days ago, again through an intermediary, because I still have no credit card. I wish there would have been more (or at least an equal number of) people contributing than in the Kickstarter, but there are probably solid "real world reasons" behind that. (I guess we will see WTB adds for the bonus disc from people, who lost track of the project, very soon...)

That being said, I'm convinced Tom will give us a great film and seeing the film is one of the things in 2021 that I really look forward to!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

simoncoil wrote:

I pledged a few days ago, again through an intermediary, because I still have no credit card. I wish there would have been more (or at least an equal number of) people contributing than in the Kickstarter, but there are probably solid "real world reasons" behind that. (I guess we will see WTB adds for the bonus disc from people, who lost track of the project, very soon...)

That being said, I'm convinced Tom will give us a great film and seeing the film is one of the things in 2021 that I really look forward to!

Thank you Simoncoil and Tim for your support and getting the word out.

The difference between the Kickstarter and Indiegogo is I didn't want to focus on selling discs with Indiegogo. Most of the Kickstarter pledges came from selling discs.

The IG campaign received a MUCH higher quality of pledges from Producers, not quantity of plastic. Selling DVDs online is something I can continue to do through my website, without paying IG to host it.

Besides, selling plastic is another science altogether. It directly correlates to the amount of advertising dollars spent. Better to be done closer to the delivery date with publicity in place in one large push.

Thanks again, Tom

Facebook SOTS

I did my pledge last min last night.
Had forgotten with the holidays etc

Jeff(bigtikidude)

tdsurf wrote:

We reached the funding goal in 7 days! I'm deeply encouraged that so many people have stuck by my side in the face of challenges.

With this first level of funding I can pay off Getty Images and prep for the final edit in Feb using the higher quality images. Last year I signed a commitment with Getty for all the remaining needs of the film. For example, a photo of the Beatles, Martin Luther King, or Duane Eddy, etc. Immediately after signing I had an investor renege on his pledge and then COVID hit shortly after.

Again, I can't begin to explain how your support has kept the project alive and moving forward. After the Kickstarter I changed the focus from 'selling DVDs' to 'Producing' and the community stepped right up to the plate with numerous Producers kicking in.

Thanks, Tom

I wish I could have done more. Will there be a future opportunity to help with other expenses down the road?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Noel wrote:

tdsurf wrote:

Thanks, Tom

I wish I could have done more. Will there be a future opportunity to help with other expenses down the road?

Thanks Noel, I greatly appreciate your help.

Yes, the fundraising continues. The Indiegogo has kicked into "IN DEMAND" mode, basically means the campaign is alive until I quit IG. Probably until I get the SotS website e-commerce up and running which is soon.

I've removed the digital download option and also the single movie disc as well. The only way to order the movie right now is in combination with the Bonus disc (More Reverb Captain) or above. This will continue until the 500 Bonus disc limit is reach.

Contributions above and beyond are always an option if you want to contact me directly, including sponsorships, co-promotion, Producer levels, etc.

Thanks again. Editing is progressing very nicely.
T

Facebook SOTS

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021 14:59:48

I just watched the latest rough cut of Sound of the Surf. I can say without reservation that I can't wait to see the finished film and bonus material. It's enjoyable from start to finish, informative and entertaining, and has many segments featuring heroes of surf music that are deeply heartwarming. Fundraising continues to enable putting out the best possible final print, so it's not too late to help with that and get some extra stuff, too.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Awesome! Stoked for this to come together. Will it be available for purchase online?

Bump

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the aim was for backers shipping in June if memory serves. Any updates on the release, @Tom?

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I have a meeting on Monday and have been waiting to say anything. There have been so many of these types of hopeful developments that don't pan out and so I end up looking like an idiot so I'm staying quiet until I Know.

Prayers for Monday.
Td

Facebook SOTS

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021 13:59:56

Thanks for the latest, Tom. I'm sure I am not alone in sending good juju your way for Monday!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Dusty Watson posted on Facebook today that Tom passed away a couple of weeks ago of heart failure while riding dirt bikes with friends. This is very sad news. RIP Tom.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

A heart attack on 9/25 took Tom Duncan. I haven't posted anything about this until now out of respect for the situation, and for what his wife, Isariya, and close friends are having to deal with at the moment. Now that the news is out there, however....

Completing "Sound of the Surf" is heavy on my mind now. It's been 15 years since Tom and I started on this adventure. There have been delays and roadblocks along the way that a major film studio probably would not have had to deal with. That's all in the past, however. Tom left us with an almost finished film and I know he would have wanted it shepherded into a final product. It was his strongest creative achievement, one that needs to be honored.

I will be doing my best to see this to fruition in the weeks ahead. Right now, everything is on hold until the situation becomes a little more calm on the part of those closest to him and the film's current status can be audited. A Celebration of Life is planned for the near future.

If you had been discussing anything with Tom...anything...please PM me with the details. At this point, I know nothing about where Tom stood with his Indiegogo campaign or promises he may have made to those who contributed funding over the last several months to complete the film.

Thanks for your understanding, continued patience,and positive thoughts. As I've stated all along, despite all the delays, "Sound of the Surf" WILL get finished. And, if I have any say so in the matter, it will be finished as close as possible to Tom's vision of what he wanted this film to be and to accomplish.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Oh man that sucks, sorry to hear that. I’m glad you’re going to complete the doc, and I’m glad I contributed.

Daniel Deathtide

Thank you for Posting John, and for continuing with the project.

R.I.P. Tom

Jeff(bigtikidude)

This is crushing news! RIP, Tom, and deepest condolences to Tom's family and those close to him. Thank you Tom for your tireless work on the "Sound of Surf", a true labor of love, and thank you John, for continuing the project.

Bob

Oh man.

Of all the ways to go, it is oddly comforting for us distant acquaintances to hear he went doing something he presumably loved, with friends. I can't think of too many better ways to go.

May whatever Tom’s wife, family, friends and loved ones believe in give them strength.

And, John, thank you for your shared passion and commitment to Tom and this project to see it thru. I, and I am sure countless others, appreciate you for that and what is certain to be a lasting gift to surf fans for years if not generations to come.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Oct 08, 2021 18:15:25

awful news ....RIP .....thanks John B for taking up the reins on the movie project .

Goto Page: 1 2 Next