Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink IvanP and Dane of the Madeira and Jeremy of the Manakooras, the A-Men and Aqualads did some playing and writing together recently

Page 1 of 1

Thought i'd share this with SG101ers. Two weeks ago Dane Carter (of the Madeira, the Blair-Pongracic Band and the Troubadours) and Jeremy DeHart of the Manakooras, the A-Men, Aqualads, and the Blair-Pongracic Band) and I got together to play and create some new music. The three of us first played together in the Blair-Pongracic Band for our California tour in 2016 and East Coast tour in 2017, when Jeremy took over the bass duties from Jonpaul Balak (who wasn't able to do those two tours). Jeremy also stepped in on bass for the Madeira bass player Todd Fortier for our Grand Rapids, MI show last December, since Todd had to have wrist surgery and wasn't able to play. The three of us had been talking about doing something together almost since the very beginning and we finally made it happen! Jeremy flew up to southern Michigan from Charlotte, NC and Dane drove up from Indy.

We were very fortunate to get the main hall in the music building at my college, offered to us by the director of the music program, very generous! It was a remarkable space, gigantic, beautiful, Sun-filled, and ultimately pretty inspiring.

We started playing on Friday afternoon and went through the end of Monday, three and a half days of highly concentrated and focused music-making! We worked on a bunch of new songs, and though we recorded it all, it was primarily for our reference purposes, to track the songs' development. (Having said that, it's possible we will be releasing one new track fairly soon, as a teaser of sorts. Big Grin It turned out surprisingly well!

I haven't been using my Gomez Surfer amp much for the past four years, and I've missed it! This was the perfect opportunity to let it rip again! It's an '09 with two vintage JBL D130Fs. (I used the Glassy/Normal channel with volume on 3.5-4.5) I also used the amazing Gomez G-Spring reverb unit, Strymon El Capistan echo unit and Xotic EP booster pedal. And several Strats.

Jeremy played an MIJ Jaguar bass went through my '62 Bandmaster, upgraded with a Bassman output transformer and super-heavy-duty EV 12M speakers. Sounded amazing! He also used the amp at least half the time for rhythm guitar (he used one of my Strats for that). The Fender '94 RI reverb unit was bypassed when the amp was used for bass, but was used for rhythm guitar.

A true pleasure playing music and spending those four days with these two super-talented fellas! I hope you enjoy the photos! It was a truly GLORIOUS noise!!! And I hope you all get to hear the fruits of our labor sometime next year.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

This is fantastic news. I can't wait to hear what came out of this "summit" of three such great players. That space looks amazing a cavernous. Maybe it will add a touch of natural hall reverb to the spring style! All that thunderous sound intermixing. I'm glad that even though lots of people have had to put music on the back burner some of you passionate folks are still making things happen for us who need things to feel good about these days.

You give us juicy details. Great pics to cause hunger and mouth watering and stomach cravings. Then you tell us to wait till next year! Cruel and inhumane treatment! Oh, I forgot. This is the year of covid. Nothing happens this year. Smile Thanks for the pics. Looks like a good time to me with happy dudes.

Ivan,
A possible album title:
"FROM THE HALLOWED HALLS OF HILLSDALE COLLEGE - COVID SURF"

Give it some thought.

Good to see some constructive art endeavors during this furshlugginer pandemic.

J Mo'

To have been a fly on that wall ...

Great gear to boot. I always have wanted a Gomez Surfer, but the size of venues I usually play would mean that it would never even approach reaching its potential.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Thanks for the nice comments, fellas! John, Big Grin Though the songs were worked up here at the college for the first time, I do hope we'll eventually record them in a real studio, I'm old-fashioned that way. Big Grin But we'll see what happens, it's amazing what can be done even over the internet today! (And that's actually the biggest obstacle, the fact that we live so far apart from each other - so, we just have to be patient and plan long-term.)

I hope there'll be a track we'll be able to unveil soon. Thanks again, all!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

Thanks for the nice comments, fellas! John, Big Grin Though the songs were worked up here at the college for the first time, I do hope we'll eventually record them in a real studio, I'm old-fashioned that way. Big Grin But we'll see what happens, it's amazing what can be done even over the internet today! (And that's actually the biggest obstacle, the fact that we live so far apart from each other - so, we just have to be patient and plan long-term.)

I hope there'll be a track we'll be able to unveil soon. Thanks again, all!

Will there be a photo of the three of you walking across the crosswalk in front of that building, and you'll be the only one not wearing shoes?

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1