Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Thoughts, memories, and comments (any year) bout the SG101 conventions, /add your recollections

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Cheers Sir

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Another great memory was the year(s) the event was live streaming. Thanks BTD Jeff for all you do,

Happy Sunsets!

That was one year, and the attendance dropped.
I’d rather have people show up.
then have a bit of video posted to YouTube later.
Give people a reason to stay home, they will.

Read the original thread about the convention.
it’s not just about bands, it’s a yearly gathering of surf friends.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020 11:05:16

IvanP wrote:

Rereading the now-locked thread about the first convention was really fun! Wow, 12 freakin' years ago! It seems like two! So much has happened since then, though...

If you all don't mind this self-indulgence Big Grin I thought I'd just point out that the short Madeira SoCal tour played a key role in the organizing of the original convention! Very Happy That just makes me very happy to think about. Cheers Here are a few choice quotes from early '08:

Brian Neal wrote: "We can't please everyone. Sorry. The Madeira coming to SoCal seems like a "big thing" that would perhaps normally attract out-of-towners anyway. That's why I keep harping on that."

Jeff BTD wrote: "ok. Say we do it the weekend of when the Madeira and Aquasonics are here. Say we do the meet and greet and jam, and itty bitty sg101 convention on Saturday. I need to know where the Madeira and Aquasonincs are playing on Fri. and Sat. nite. to ensure that this will go down ok. If they or 1 of those bands are in San Diego one of those nights it might make plans for the Sat. day thing kinda hard. so I need a PM or email from Chris and Ivan with tentative schedules for their tour out here."

Jeff BTD wrote: "AND a ton of people said they would want the event to be when the Madeira is here. So I'm just doing what was asked."

Kiss SG101!

I am super thankful that I have been able to participate several times (playing or as visitor) to the convention, met and made many friends, some of my best times and memories. I have loved every single band and enjoyed every single moment, except when the Madeira were playing.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

except when the Madeira were playing.

ROTFL

I have so many great memories of the convention over the years, but I want to call out my first SG101 convention that I attended, which was the 2nd Annual Convention and the first one at The Starting Gate.

So back in 2009, I bought a guitar (after quite a few years of not playing) and I was searching for a Latin'ia tab. That's how I discovered Surfguitar101.com

Anyways, I start keeping up with the forums and I see this event for the SG101 Convention, and I see The Ghastly Ones were headlining that year. Of the rest of the bands, the only band I had heard of was Insect Surfers, but I was (am) such a Ghastly fan that I decided to attend.

I didn't know anyone. I hadn't heard of most of the bands. But I had the time of my life! I met new folks, got to see some killer bands, grabbed some merch, and really just ended up so stoked about it all. Up until then, none of my friends were in to surf, so I was this lone surf nerd with a small collection of CDs and I had no clue that there was any kind of scene. And that particular day changed my life, as I met some of the folks I now consider as some of my best friends.

A couple particular call outs for that day:

1. I remember hearing The Sand Devils set and I fell in love with that deep dark tone. I walked up to Ran and asked if he had a CD, and was really disappointed that they didn't. But I kept following him and his band, and now here I am, playing in his latest band The Scimitars! With a similar tone of my own! How cool is that?

2. I remember The TomorrowMen set, and was blown away by how awesome it was. I went up to Danny and introduced myself. Been a huge fan ever since! And Danny, being the great friend and supporter that he is, invited me to play a song with The TomorrowMen years later, and that was my first official "surf gig" (besides the member jam). Still stoked to this day. Thanks Danny!

3. I saw this dude with a tiki necklace and a little bun ponytail walking around like he owned the place. That was my first impression of JonPaul. I was like "who the heck is that dude?" But then he played with the Insects and I was like "woah he's pretty cool". Then that day he got up and played with The Ghastly Ones and I was like "wow that dude is amazing!". And now I've played in several bands/sets with him and am so fortunate to be able to do so! He is insanely talented and is such a keeper of the scene. He helps keep the fire going in many ways.

4. My first time ever seeing The Ghastly Ones. Still one of my all time favorite surf memories!

5. I met this dude called BigTikiDude as I kept winning raffle tickets. A cool dude, this BigTikiDude, and a brotha! Now I help tend the door at shows and am selling raffle tickets during my shift. Its like I went full circle!

Anyways, long story short, that day was epic for me because I finally found other people who loved that surf sound like I did. I met these fantastic people, and saw so many fantastic bands, and they took me in like a long lost brother, and now I am part of one of the coolest families on Earth!

Looking forward to next year's family reunion!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020 18:04:09

That’s awesome Josh, glad you came back then,
Every year since then, and thank you to you and Jenny for helping at the door also.

Here is the Ghastly Ones, Jonpaul filling in on bass.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1D49qEmajX89imo2bDb0JF7lWmWyElbji2RzrEbRhf2zhT7TteUDyz8V8&feature=share&v=p71tzpap_sw

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020 21:41:38

bigtikidude wrote:

This is just the best ever!

Clip of Eddie Bertrand and The Eliminators from the unreleased Sound of the Surf documentary. Filmed at the first Surf Guitar 101 Convention. Audience shot near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlY9RK56sE

Very cool, thanks

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I haven’t played every years member jam,but around 3/4 of them.
Me left on bass, Bill (Remora 1) center. Does anybody remember who is on drums on that? And Papu of Los Kahunas of Argentina far right.
We were playing a surf song that Bill’s punk band got on a skate video that Papu had seen, and learned.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020 20:26:11

That was such a great story about Papu finding that song and then playing it with Bill!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

bigtikidude wrote:

I haven’t played every years member jam,but around 3/4 of them.
Me left on bass, Bill (Remora 1) center. Does anybody remember who is on drums on that? And Papu of Los Kahunas of Argentina far right.
We were playing a surf song that Bill’s punk band got on a skate video that Papu had seen, and learned.

That was such a great memory! We played my old band's song, "The Cove" which Papu had heard on a bootleg VHS surf contest tape he somehow found in Argentina. The drummer is Max Wheatley who was the original drummer and founding member of the band. It was Papu's idea, not sure who was more stoked him or us! Oh, and Jeff did an awesome job holding down the bottom end.
Just one of many unforgettable moments from the many SG101 Conventions I've been lucky to attend!

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Thanks for the more info, and correcting me on it being a surf video.
Duh, makes sense. Was fun and an honor to play with all of you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I thought with the Covid quarantine in effect that more people would have had time to chime in on this. Here is a bump reminder for anybody that may have forgot to add something.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

Since the pandemic has cancelled this years convention,
I have been looking back and remembering bands that have played, the different places it’s been at. And how it came to be.

No sorry, I have no remembering because I've never been there. The reason is the fact, that I've never been outside of Europe. But I intend to visit a SG101-Convention the next years, maybe next year.
In Europe at the whole I visited 10 festivals since 2013:
7 times Livorno, 3 times SurfORama in Valencia (2014, 2016 and 2017)and 2 festivals in the Netherlands (2014 the last NorthSeaSurfFestival in Amsterdam and 2019 Arnies' fest in Venlo).
Can you tell who is going to play next year?
Best wishes to all
UK/NB

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020 12:10:18

Too many great moments to list! As one of the informal vice presidents in charge of the annual Legends of Surf segment, it's been an incredible thrill to meet and play with so many First Wave surf stars. Random memories: The Rumblers, way back in 2012. ALL the original members re-united after 45 years to do a set. They blew the roof off the Starting Gate, and were literally in tears that anyone remembered them, let alone gave them a standing ovation. The epic jam of Moon Dawg, featuring Al Valdez and Tracy Longstreth (Original Surfaris, Rhythm Rockers). Last year's epic Del-tone reunion set. EVERYONE stepped up and delivered! And, who can forget Randy Holden from 2016? (My greatest "get", if I do say so myself. It wasn't easy!).

UKNB,

It should be the same line up as was supposed to be for 2020.
But not sure about the international bands being able to come here.
As of now it’s prohibited regarding COVID-19,
Let’s hope all this clears up by next year.

UKAY54 wrote:

bigtikidude wrote:

Since the pandemic has cancelled this years convention,
I have been looking back and remembering bands that have played, the different places it’s been at. And how it came to be.

No sorry, I have no remembering because I've never been there. The reason is the fact, that I've never been outside of Europe. But I intend to visit a SG101-Convention the next years, maybe next year.
In Europe at the whole I visited 10 festivals since 2013:
7 times Livorno, 3 times SurfORama in Valencia (2014, 2016 and 2017)and 2 festivals in the Netherlands (2014 the last NorthSeaSurfFestival in Amsterdam and 2019 Arnies' fest in Venlo).
Can you tell who is going to play next year?
Best wishes to all
UK/NB

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Matt,
Thank you for all you help over the years.

reventlos wrote:

Too many great moments to list! As one of the informal vice presidents in charge of the annual Legends of Surf segment, it's been an incredible thrill to meet and play with so many First Wave surf stars. Random memories: The Rumblers, way back in 2012. ALL the original members re-united after 45 years to do a set. They blew the roof off the Starting Gate, and were literally in tears that anyone remembered them, let alone gave them a standing ovation. The epic jam of Moon Dawg, featuring Al Valdez and Tracy Longstreth (Original Surfaris, Rhythm Rockers). Last year's epic Del-tone reunion set. EVERYONE stepped up and delivered! And, who can forget Randy Holden from 2016? (My greatest "get", if I do say so myself. It wasn't easy!).

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I have only been to one. The first one. I squeezed it in as I had many other things to do that day that required me being somewhere else.
But I remember getting my Jazzmaster case signed by Paul Johnson.
I remember Eddie Bertrand taking me out to his car so i could by an Eddie and the Showmen t-shirt from him. He seemed embarrased that i would be so happy to meet him and want a t-shirt from him.
I met jeff 'big tiki dude', and Danny Snyder and many of the regulars here on SG101.
I was showing my guitar to someone in the parking lot and Dave Wronski came over to check it out too.
I had to sadly leave early as i was being called elsewhere, but i was in high sprits on the long drive home.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020 22:08:35

Goto Page: Previous 1 2