Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
178 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
118 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
79 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Part 2: How Far Have You Traveled to See a Surf Band??

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

In response to an older thread posing this question ....

As of next week, it'll be about 2400 miles for me.

Once I saw that lineup for the HBISM show on August 5, I talked my wife into going cross-country.

(Actually.... we have a daughter who lives in Santa Barbara, and our son will be in San Diego that week. It didn't take much convincing. Wink We're spending about 10 days in SoCal.)

But, damn, thats a great surf show lineup!!! Eliminators too!!

Vegas and San Francisco (The Mermen and Shi-Tones respectively).

WillyT
Once I saw that lineup for the HBISM show on August 5, I talked my wife into going cross-country.

Sigh... I've been wanting for months to go to that show, but instead on the 5th I'll be the farthest I've EVER been from California--about 3000 miles away in Costa Rica.
Okay, maybe that's not that bad, but I'm still bummed out that I'll miss that show. It's an outrageously good lineup.

So far the longest I've traveled to see a show has been, err... about 20 miles. Not too impressive I guess.

I don't know how far, in miles, but I've traveled from east central Indiana to Chicago to see 3 surf bands (The Madeira, The Cocktail Preachers and The Volcanos)...Midwest Surf Guy picked me up, coming from west central Ohio. Then I've traveled to Columbus, Ohio, with the one way distance being about the equivalent of a round trip to Indy, for me. The Chicago trip was about 5 hours, from my location (about 6 for Guy), and the Columbus trip was about 3 1/2 to 4 hours (didn't really pay attention, I just drove).

Matt

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

Sixty miles from Tustin to San Diego for Pollo Del Mar & the Sand Devils. Or, in other words, not very far at all. We're totally spoiled in SoCal.

I'll definitely be at that HB Pier show on the 5th. Something tells me I'll be arriving at noon rather than eleven, though ...

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

WillyT
In response to an older thread posing this question ....
As of next week, it'll be about 2400 miles for me.
(Actually.... we have a daughter who lives in Santa Barbara, and our son will be in San Diego that week. It didn't take much convincing. Wink We're spending about 10 days in SoCal.)

Willy, there are tons of other shows around that time, look at the calender to see what else is doing while your here.
Yes the Pier show is going to be killer, but I always like people to go to some bar shows and actually pay 5 backs or so to support some of the hard working bands.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Driving...
I have driven up to Bay area,Nor. Cal. then over to Sacramento,
Flying,
up to Portland Ore. then Rode with Kristena, Lava Bill, Jenny O, and her Guy Shawn, up to Seattle, then flew back home,
boy were my arms tired.

we are going to drive to Vegas next weekend to see Satan's Pilgrims and others.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

To specifically go somewhere just to see a surf band, my distance records were pretty much the same as Jeff's - Sacramento to see the Surf Coasters (driving), and Seattle + Portland to see Satan's Pilgrims (flying). Oh wait - I live a 100 miles south of Jeff, so that's a little bit farther, but not significatnt in the big picture.
As part of bigger trips/or going to events that had surf bands I have traveled farther, but that's cheating (I didn't fly to the Hukilau just to see a surf band).
I would say that the Nebula guys that flew from Boston to the west coast to see The Ghastly Ones and then to see Satan's Pilgrims would have us beat in distance. And don't give examples of people coming from Europe or Japan, because every example I've seen was as part of a trip, they didn't fly all the the way just for one show.

The Scimitars

Well my wife and I have flown from Nashville to LA for the cruise with the Straitjackets and The Ventures a couple of years ago, then saw the Straitjackets play at "The Doll House" in Anaheim and some place in San Diego that I don't recall the name of. We've also driven to Atlanta and Savannah, GA to see surf bands and to Lexington, KY and Louisville, KY to see bands. And every single mile (air miles included) was worth it !!!!!!

And if all the bands wasn't good enough.... we got to meet the incredible...
Bigtikidude!!!!! Worship

Ron (ToneBoy)
The Mariners (1964 to Present) www.myspace.com/themarinersfirstwave
Lonzo & Oscar (1999 to Present) www.lonzoandoscar.net
www.myspace.com/lonzoandoscarcomedy
Billy Henson & Summerstorm (2001 to Present)

ToneBoy
And if all the bands wasn't good enough.... we got to meet the incredible...
Bigtikidude!!!!! Worship

ah shucks Ron,
thanks,
Embarassed Wink

I remember hearing of people coming from Europe just for the
Deke Dickerson guitar geek Fest. then leaving a day or 2 after.
thats pretty impressive.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Someone flew from Germany for that Ghastly Ones reunion show. I think SP had some people from a distance for their return gig in Portland in 2005.

My longest trek is Toronto, but soon, I may just beat that distance!!! ;)

-K

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

20 miles to see Dick Dale...
does that count?

20 miles is the average or on the low side for me.
most are 30 or more.
So. Cal. is huge, probably over 200 miles from Santa Barbara to San Diego. but thats on the big picture.

thats why I freak out and get all happy when there is a show at the Juke Joint or Doll Hut here in Anaheim, or in Fullerton.
doesn't happen often enough.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I went to Portland to see Satan's Pilgrims and the Ghastly Ones. It was worth it.

Science friction burns my fingers.

surfraptor
20 miles to see Dick Dale...
does that count?

what if I walked?

sorry folks, stupid thread
What you want to prove?

surfraptor
what if I walked?

"I would never walk, I would take a car."

Or, possibly hire an elephant. There's a precedent for that.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007 09:12:25

When I had to be out of town last year, I was super bummed
that I was going to miss the Whys in NorCal. So I ended up
making arrangements to travel from South Carolina to L.A.
to catch the Whys and the El Segundo All Stars (Arnson-
Dobronyi-Tippins-Anthony) on the way back home. It was
absolutely worth it. Not only was the show phenominal, but
I got to meet Warren, Marty, Rick from Oregon, many others,
and got to hang with the world renowned Big Tiki Dude. I've
got to make more SoCal excursions. What a great great group
of people down there! Unless I manage to go over to Europe
or Japan for a show, I'll never top that for distance travelled
to see a show.

Bob

Bob

Stockholm Arrow Hamburg for a Dick Dale show.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

The furthest I have traveled specifically for a surf show/s is from Bellingham, WA to Atlanta, GA for the Surfari USA tour back in '97. However, a couple of years ago I went over to Germany and stayed with friends in Heidelberg/Mannheim, and my family went over to Dresden and I saw the Kilaueas play. I guess that's the furthest away from home I've seen a surf show, but I didn't specifically go from Bellingham to Dresden to see the show (it was a GREAT show, but there's no way I could justify traveling that far for a show!).

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

I did a loop from Colorado to Washington State to California and back through Nevada and Utah. Mid-route, I caught The Detonators, The Torquays, and Paul Johnson playing at the Huntington Beach Pier. I also met the ubiquitous Big Tiki Dude. Very cool! Not the purpose of the trip, but definitely a planned part of the itinerary.
Windanseabeachboy

Goto Page: 1 2 Next