Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Tone Master amps

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

edwardsand wrote:

One person who maxed out a Twin Reverb was Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols. Not surf music and maybe not your cup of tea, but he got a great noisy in your face sound out of it. And these days, he'd probably appreciate a lighter version of the amp.

Ted Nugent famously used a wall of Fender Twin Reverbs live. He liked it.

Perhaps my comment was a bit naive. In my experience, when maxing out a Twin, I found that the speaker behavior became really unmusical. I suppose that if you want to get the tubes going full tilt, you'd get that Princeton, Deluxe, or Super Reverb distorted sound. That is cool. But if they are really modeling actual Twin behavior, man, I am not seeing the point.

In reality -- that is, with a real amp -- turning up a Twin Reverb all the way is a mistake. This objective may be for people who really ought to have a brownface amp or something. Or, heck, why not just get a tweed amp? Why mess with blackface or silverface Fenders this way? I mean, you could see the ridiculousness of someone asserting that his post-CBS, ultralinear Twin really only starts to "open up" at about 115 dB or something weird like that. Defies the purpose of that amp, IMHO.

SSIV

Last edited: Sep 08, 2020 18:30:50

Does it come in blonde+oxblood?

N0_Camping4U wrote:

Yup, with the Neodynium Celestion Creamback speakers, not the Neodynium Jensens. An offer was made to me by a Reverb seller and after a little back and forth of offer/counter offerings, I pulled the trigger for one. Looking forward to it!

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

Surfysonic wrote:

N0_Camping4U wrote:

Yup, with the Neodynium Celestion Creamback speakers, not the Neodynium Jensens. An offer was made to me by a Reverb seller and after a little back and forth of offer/counter offerings, I pulled the trigger for one. Looking forward to it!

It will be interesting to hear your opinion on these since you are a vintage brownface owner.
I've been wondering if these are the same circuit with a speaker swap for a different voicing. Also like to hear how the tremolo compares to a brownface amp.

Surf_Skater wrote:

Surfysonic wrote:

N0_Camping4U wrote:

It will be interesting to hear your opinion on these since you are a vintage brownface owner.
I've been wondering if these are the same circuit with a speaker swap for a different voicing. Also like to hear how the tremolo compares to a brownface amp.

I get the impression that these are just new cosmetics with a new speaker and appropriate firmware for the IRs. I think the only circuit differences are the reverb and bright cap-clip updates. It's still a BF Deluxe Reverb.

Neptune Trojans

I guess I didn't phrase that right. I meant are they modelled differently, or just a speaker swap and different tolex.

In my excitement, I forgot to clarify - I’m getting the Twin. I’ve had both Twins and Deluxes - my heart belongs to the Twin. Yes

Surfysonic on YouTube

I think the only difference to the model is the set of impulse responses for the speakers/mics. The DI is voiced to sound like the speaker that's in there.

The amp is the same (with available tweaks).

Neptune Trojans

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020 20:47:54

To quote Mr. T. Petty, "The waiting is the hardest part"...

Smile

Cry

Surfysonic on YouTube

Surfysonic, please post a review if you get a chance. A video of you playing some surf music would be even better. These amps look great, and are less than half the weight of an actual TR!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Huzzah! Tone Master has arrived. Will work on open boxing/demo video tomorrow. Big Grin

Surfysonic on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020 22:05:07

Congrats! Let us know how you like it.

I'm a tube amp snob to some degree, but I like the TMs so much that I would consider buying a tweed model and have asked Fender to build a VVRI version.

Neptune Trojans

I owned the TM Twin and was very happy with it. Sounded just like a Twin, with classic headroom, and good, full reverb and trem. Only returned it because it cannot really handle a microphone in the Normal channel (I plug a microphone into the normal channel of my amps in order to talk to the crowd...we don't haul a PA!). If not for that issue, I'd still be playing it at gigs.

Demo! It's long, so feel to jump around on the time stamps. Big Grin

Surfysonic on YouTube

I am really interested in hearing your review!I am extremely curious which circuit it is based on.

Daniel Deathtide

Thank you for the demo, it really sounded great! I admit, I did skip around quite a bit. Did you turn on the bright switch? The reverb sounded really nice, I guess I missed the part where you played the tremolo.

I like that you swapped out the knobs, it looks much better now. I would also swap out the Fender logo, and if possible remove the Tone Master logo in the bottom right corner.

Overall, the amp sounded great. The best part of the entire video, seeing you lift a Twin Reverb with one finger! Big Grin

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Thanks, SixStringSurfer! Haha, that was not an easy one-finger lift - two fingers, no problem. I did turn on the bright switch for both channels. As mentioned in the video, I'm not a fan of the bright switch but I get that it probably helps to cut through in a band mix.

I also played the tremolo when I was in the Vibrato channel. Also, in the pedals portion, I did try some tremolo pedals (with the amp's tremolo off) to see how that sounded, too.

Thanks about the knobs! Big Grin I'm still a bit torn on swapping out the logo and I'll probably leave the Tone Master logo on, just so that people can tell what the amp is and be amazed.

I downloaded and installed the firmware upgrade to make the reverb easier to adjust at lower volumes. I haven't had a chance to try that out yet and I still haven't gotten around to the attenuator thing - I'm going to try my best to get to it tonight after the wife goes to bed.

I actually am very happy with this purchase and love this amp. As mentioned in the video, another nice feature as that it doesn't put out the heat that a tube amp does. In my home office, that is super helpful.

Will I be getting rid of my tube amps? No way! Well, until I can no longer play in hopefully 30-40 years. my '62 Bassman, '64 Princeton and Allen Encore are here to stay.

I wish I could hang on to my '60 Fender Vibrasonic but I have it along with my '63 Fender Jazzmaster for sale on Reverb to pay down some gear debt. I'm hopeful I'll win the lottery so I can pull those listings. Big Grin Sigh

Surfysonic on YouTube

@Surfysonic - wow you have some great amps. Thanks for the demo.

Thanks! Some right place/right time/right funds lol kind of luck. Smile

Surfysonic on YouTube

I'd like to play the updated firmware in person. A backline company brought two deluxes in, I had no idea what the tone master thing was (other than the Original Tone Master was a great amp.) plugged in and did not like it at all. either of them.

it sat fine in the band mix, and with the guitarists great playing, but it seemed shrill (p90s with compressor, no gain).

I'm not a solid state hater: bass amps with class D sections are fantastic. but I can never make a quilter sound how I want it to, or a JC120

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020 12:42:46

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next