Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink Best (most realistic) sounding Fender amp VST plugin?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Having just purchased a fully licensed copy of Reaper DAW, I'm looking for the best sounding Fender amp VST for direct to PC home recording. Fender's own classic vintage amp package is $149. I'm curious what others use that's just as good or better.

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Last edited: May 27, 2020 10:37:15

I use a free VST called Rednef Twin that is easily available. It goes on practically all my guitar tracks when I don't record a real amp. It's a blackface rather than brown but hey, it's free!

https://www.solidrockbluesband.com/how-to-play-surf-guitar-using-free-vst-plugins/

For reverb I typically use another free VST called VeeSpringVerb. It's not like a tank but it's pretty decent.

One of the benefits of software is getting free demos you can download and install. Most companies allow trials. My problem is if I install the demo I almost always want it!

I've had great results with Scuffham It's my go to.

Kuassa's Matchlock sounds great in the demos. I recently bought their Vermillion amp and am getting good results.

I also liked Waves plug very much

If anyone knows of a plugin spring reverb with drip lemme know.

Squid From Madrid - New Single on Bandcamp
MB Website

Last edited: May 27, 2020 13:00:59

I still really love Peavey Revalver (now from audiomediaresearch), the most natural sounding sim I've tested. It has very deep tweaking available, all the classic amps cabs mics etc. It's own spring verb is quite nice, and you can load an external IR for even a better drip.

For standalone VST I like GS Type4.
But nothing beats my Surfy-Bear into the sound card.

For all amp sims - to get best results - it's very important to monitor the gain chain. From input level at the sound card, to input level at the software, to input level to pre-amp FX, input to amp, and output volume. The general rule, is to have it at every stage just below clipping (red, digital distortion NO NO) with the strongest strike of the strings for the current playing/recording session. Use your system meters, software meters, a VST meter, but trust your ears even more.

A quality compressor with mild settings at the end of the chain can quite enhance things.

Optimize you operating system for lowest latency, first step is to disable all background running programs and internal processes not relating to your session.

Another thing - "Fender" inspired sims are nice and hit the spot more or less, but other models with different settings may surprise you and get even closer to the real thing (or the sound in your head). Always experiment, with all the parameters available, everything matters.

Last edited: May 27, 2020 13:42:55

I recently picked up the IK Multimedia Fender collection for 50€ over here in France. They had some promos going about a month back. It comes with a twin and deluxe reverb sims (amongst others) plus there's a 63 reverb tank effect. It sounds pretty good but i'm not experienced enough in VSTs to say if it's the best or not..

Paul

The Dead Planet Surfers

What one person likes in an amp sim another hates. Super subjective. Download all the free demos and decide for yourself. I own several of the Fender packs for IK Amplitube and don't like them at all vs. the real thing, but others do. Currently using an Eleven Rack (hardware unit) that has a computer editor. Unless you're running El Capitan on Mac, can also be an interface... Better clean Fender sound there, but with lots of tweaking.

Download, Demo, and then Decide - have fun!

'65 Fender Tremolux, '74 Princeton; '80 Princeton Reverb
Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. + 1x12 Cab
Various Telecasters and noise-making pedals
Farfisa Compact Duo

nedorama wrote:

What one person likes in an amp sim another hates. Super subjective. Download all the free demos and decide for yourself. I own several of the Fender packs for IK Amplitube and don't like them at all vs. the real thing, but others do. Currently using an Eleven Rack (hardware unit) that has a computer editor. Unless you're running El Capitan on Mac, can also be an interface... Better clean Fender sound there, but with lots of tweaking.

I'm really wanting to buy the full IK Multimedia package here https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/

I agree with your statement about subjectivity of the different brands available. I watched several YouTube videos of the Fender tones from that package and honestly, I think they sound great in the hands of the guitar player. I can't see paying $200 for just one amp sim...even if it is the "holy grail" of Fender tone mapped out by the wizards and fathers of Fender themselves No

_

I have the Fender collection 2 for iPAD and have used it live. Not for a surf or band gig, but as part of a Theatre/ dance show. It worked well (especially where this was a fly in gig), and suited the performance.

I have just bought Brainworx's Bassdude, and have been blown away by it. I have been demoing it the last month with a variety of guitars, and even putting my reverb tank in front of it. It is the closest amp sim I've played through that reacts like a real tube amp. The bassdude is not cheap, but I was able to dial in a great surf tone (among other tones) with it.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

TheFintastics wrote:

I'm really wanting to buy the full IK Multimedia package here https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/

I agree with your statement about subjectivity of the different brands available. I watched several YouTube videos of the Fender tones from that package and honestly, I think they sound great in the hands of the guitar player. I can't see paying $200 for just one amp sim...even if it is the "holy grail" of Fender tone mapped out by the wizards and fathers of Fender themselves No

Ah, got it. Each manufacturer has a different term for their guitar input - Avid on the eleven Rack calls it "True Z," MOTU calls it something different. It does look like a good unit, but at $399 unless it comes with Amplitube you could use any audio interface.

I'd still download and demo Amplitube Fender to see if the tones work for you, as if they do with your current interface, great! If they don't, I don't think having the AXE will make them much better.

I forget - what are you currently using?

Farfisa Compact Duo

A while back I paid $100 for the IK Multimedia Fender collection. I have to say, it sounds really good! You have tons of options, such as choosing different speakers, mic placement, etc...

The Reverb on the Vibro-King Custom is fantastic. While I only record using a real amp, tank, and mic, I do use the plugin in the final mix when needed. Nothing beats the real deal, but I would highly recommend this for a convenient, nice sounding alternative.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

nedorama wrote:

TheFintastics wrote:

Ah, got it. Each manufacturer has a different term for their guitar input - Avid on the eleven Rack calls it "True Z," MOTU calls it something different. It does look like a good unit, but at $399 unless it comes with Amplitube you could use any audio interface.

I'd still download and demo Amplitube Fender to see if the tones work for you, as if they do with your current interface, great! If they don't, I don't think having the AXE will make them much better.

I forget - what are you currently using?

Currently I'm running through a Surfybear classic, into a Zoom modeler, into a Mimiq pedal into a Behringer interface.

I just bought the IK multimedia package that I linked to. Hopefully it'll get close enough to the real thing that nobody will know. Studio use only. I may try it live if my laptop can support it without glitching.

_

nedorama wrote:

I got an Eleven Rack from back when I was in a NYC apartment and micing a cab was not an option. Now that I am in a house and can do that I haven't been using it. Yesterday I decided to play with it again and ran a reissue Fender reverb tank into it and used the Bassman sim with the 4-10 cabinet. I got it to sound really good after some tweaking. I think the reverb unit adding tubes to the circuit helped.

To anyone who has a reverb tank, try running through that before the sim.

Last edited: Jun 09, 2020 07:10:26

Yeah... The Amplitube Fender and Fender Collection 2 are really great. Even the 63 Reverb Unit in Amplitube Fender is great.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

raylinds wrote:

nedorama wrote:

I got an Eleven Rack from back when I was in a NYC apartment and micing a cab was not an option. Now that I am in a house and can do that I haven't been using it. Yesterday I decided to play with it again and ran a reissue Fender reverb tank into it and used the Bassman sim with the 4-10 cabinet. I got it to sound really good after some tweaking. I think the reverb unit adding tubes to the circuit helped.

To anyone who has a reverb tank, try running through that before the sim.

One of the things I've really liked is the ability to quickly change the order of effects, so that Reverb (or flange/chorus) can be before or after the amp, and it makes a difference in sound. Easy to do on the face of the amp or with the editor software.

Plugged into mine last night for some late night playing - volume is easier to control than my Tremolux...

Farfisa Compact Duo

I really like the Super Reverb in the Amplitube Fender Collection 2.

Los Fantasticos

Because of this thread, today I played around with the Amplitude Fenders 1 and 2. There was some really good sounds there, but the lag between the time I picked a note and the sound came out really bothered me. I also got the 15 day trial of the UAD '55 Tweed and it sounded incredible, but the lag again killed it for me.
Any advice for dealing with that?

Last edited: Jun 09, 2020 21:25:59

raylinds wrote:

Because of this thread, today I played around with the Amplitude Fenders 1 and 2. There was some really good sounds there, but the lag between the time I picked a note and the sound came out really bothered me. I also got the 15 day trial of the UAD '55 Tweed and it sounded incredible, but the lag again killed it for me.

This article really gives some great advice. Follow each step to minimize latency.
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-fix-the-latency-in-amplitube

_

raylinds wrote:

Latency is certainly a concern with using VST's. Lots of advice out there for remedying it. But, in the end, it usually boils down to having enough and fast enough RAM.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

raylinds wrote:

Latency is certainly a concern with using VST's. Lots of advice out there for remedying it. But, in the end, it usually boils down to having enough and fast enough RAM.

Other factors are how many other VST's are running, what else is running on your computer, etc. Opening an app like Apple's Activity Monitor to see what's consuming processor and memory during a session can be eye-opening.

Things like convolution reverbs can be a processor hog, or some virtual instruments. If you can freeze your other virtual instrument tracks and use a non convolution reverb (I like Phoenixverb), you should be able to reduce latency for guitar tracking significantly.

For me, Sonoma Wire Works Drumcore is my main drum sound, and while great, it's a processor hog, so when tracking anything else, I'll freeze the track to avoid issues.

Farfisa Compact Duo

raylinds wrote:

In addition to the good tips already posted, please check out what I laid out in these threads:
HERE
HERE and
HERE.
Also follow the links I posted. If your PC is not more than 10 years old, these problems are absolutely solvable, but some learning and elbow grease is mandatory.

If you're on Mac, same principles apply, but with different terms and software.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020 13:27:40

Goto Page: 1 2 Next