Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Multi-Effects Guitar Effect Processors

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I have a Multi-Effects Guitar Effect Processor I am totally in love with. This one is like many others on the market. Would like to hear from anyone that uses any of these type processors and how you use them.

I like this processor but thinking of trying out others and maybe using more than one model or make together on stage. I just feel the PA speakers sound better and plan on using these to interface with the PA etc. Has anyone tried this. I love the tone and Reverb tank sounds in this thing - but there may be better units - let me know. I know old school Surfers like real gear verse digital modeling, but I like processors more. If I bought all the modeled equipment this unit gives me it would be over a 100 grand in amps and pedals. As you all know most musicians make minimum wage, so I can't afford that. This unit seems reliable, I play it multiple times a day with no problems so far. (Knock on wood)

I bought this after I saw Gary Hoey play through one and was sold. The tone and effects are outstanding and it interfaces with a midi any foot controller (still haven't got to this part yet). I pretty much keep the same set up and effects for a traditional Surf sound right now practicing and learning how to perform songs etc. I really think this will be the future for performance and Surf Music in general.

I have mine in a rack unit road case with a 6 channel 1 rack space mixer with a DJ CD player with USB flash card capability (holds about 1000 songs etc.) I use headphones as well and can Surf anytime of the day. I just found its easier to learn material this way verse using a real amp etc...I don't bother anyone and allows more playing time on the home front. I have not used it live yet, So maybe it won't work but I cannot see why it won't work. I will post a picture some day of my rig here - This set up helped me a lot - I'm lightyears away from where I was starting out. I should help others Surfing as well.

I am not saying this is the best or promoting this product - just a review only - and I am happy with it right now - but there maybe better ones or others more suited for other players etc... Line 6 has a really nice one too...It may be better I just don't know.

But just the tank reverb units alone cost way more than this unit. I just think pound for pound this is the future and other units and makes already out. What do you think?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 10:46:24

Here is another unit I might get - It costs about the same as a high end Tank Unit emulator - but it has hundreds of options on amps and pedals etc verse just getting the Tank verb sound on the other. This probably has Tank Verb - there again some stand alone units sound great> I'm not putting them down - just say cost wise you get more options with processors. Seems like Metal players use these units - but not many Surfers??? Most videos seem to be Metal heads using these various processors. So maybe If your in a band that has a Metal-Surf sound - I don't know Laughing

Good example a of a Metal-Head playing through the above unit. Why Can't Surfers use these units - Why do we need to live in the stone age with a Tank Reverb that overheats?

I have a Flying V type guitar like this and plays some evil surf - It sounds way better than any Fender I have. The only reason I don't use it a lot is its hard to play sitting down and I do that while practicing and learning new material. Its pretty heavy too, but sounds like the Gods, Its also harder to play for me because the saw tooth fret inlays mess me up at times finding the right fret etc because I'm use to a short Jaguar neck etc. But I'm thinking of using something like a Metal style guitar - I just love the floating bridges on these guitars - Is that breaking tradition as well? Metal Surf anyone? Laughing

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 11:24:30

Gary Hoey demonstrates the Eleven Rack

I have no doubts that these things are up to the task, sonically.

I have a hard time integrating technology into my life, period. I think a modest pedal board and power supply is as fancy as I’m likely to get.

However, I did just grab an Epiphone Amos V, and I can’t put it down. It’s so outside my comfort zone in all aspects. I love it.
Play it loud, Lorenzo.
Cheers.

Yeah I know what you mean Chippertheipper

I buy this stuff and take two years to learn all the bells and whistles. I had this unit about two years (Actually I have two) and use it multiple times of the day (I thought I would blow up by now). I'm always afraid the screen will stop working or something- I probably have hundreds on hours on this thing and tried all types if settings.

I’m gonna need to see the V. I have V fever.

White 2007 Ibanez VBT700 V Blade guitar - I have the black one too - long out of production now - Still sells for more than new - was $ 499 new The White one I have has the White Shark Teeth inlays on the fret board.

Just search with: Ibanez VBT700 White 2007 V type Electric Guitar - on Ebay usually they have a few used on sale (Some have red Shark Teeth) - The Black one has White- I like the floating bridge design on Ibanez - Kind of weird for surf though. Usually about $ 799 now used. Some came with a case. Others from Musicians friend only had a cardboard box.

I have another Ibanez out of production that sounds almost the same as these, the: Ibanez XPT700 - plays decent surf - I used it more about 10 years ago - just tried it out after more than 4 years since played and is still in tune - amazing - has locking nut - so solid tuning when tightened down with a Allen wrench - all guitars should have this feature especially any whammy bridge on the other end.

The fret board is wider than the any Fender guitar and the Shark Teeth has a smooth feel to it - It takes a while to get use to them - Its different that's for sure Cool

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 18:16:41

Speaking of V's, the one I have is my favorite, non-surf, guitar. Amazing tone and such a great player. Something about the way the wood density is distributed is all I can say why it sounds so rich.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

I found a Boss ME-25 by the side of the road last year. I'd seen it for a couple days, and then stopped to pick it up one night. It obviously fell out of someone's vehicle, but despite the dents and scratches still works fine!

Wow a free Boss ME-25 can't beat that price - there was a band going up a hill and the back door of the van broke wide open dumping all the gear on the road ...lol

Yeah the V guitars just seem heavier to me for some reason (I never weighed them, but its got tone that's for sure. Ibanev does seem darker in sound over all then fenders with the same Amp settings. But just adjust some knobs and it sounds cool. I was thinking of lightening up on the strings or even try like 12's rather then 10's etc I don't know it takes a long while to find the sound you like.

I forgot to say I just played Ibanez XPT700 that stays in tune for the first time through my Avid Eleven Rack (wow) what a difference from my Fender practice amp. I didn't change the settings because I have it set for my Jaguar. But I can create a new channel and save both setups - that's one nice feature for rack units - have setting for every guitar model if needed.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 20:54:33

Is it possible for a reverb tank to overheat? I've never heard of or ever experienced that.

stratdancer wrote:

Speaking of V's, the one I have is my favorite, non-surf, guitar. Amazing tone and such a great player. Something about the way the wood density is distributed is all I can say why it sounds so rich.

Yeah - I think your on to something there - the shape has a lot to do with it but the humbuckers are not great for surf really or ideal but can deliver what is needed with the right settings etc . I like the look as well - I'm still fooling around with the sound - I noticed that if its not a Fender type Surf type guitar by comparison the Bass - Mids and Treble are significantly lower to sound right playing surf with a V type guitar normally used in Metal now - My Jaguar sounds good with like 75% Bass - 35% Mid's (Scoop the middle) and like 75% Treble - Presence wide open and high setting on the master volume (Jaguars just have low output. This V I have is insane on output by comparison. They have too much bass so I have to really squeeze that down and usually set my amp all at like 10 O'clock or what ever - otherwise it has a weird sound for surf (clean anyway) - My Spring reverb has to be lowered as well. I still searching for the sound and it sounds way better (no noise like a Jag etc) I know that's breaking tradition, but if we didn't we would all still be playing Banjo's now. Time moves on or music dies.

I'm thinking of using some Metal type pedals or just something different as a sound pallet to work from - dunno - The Spring stays but not sure if that would work? - I always like the Surf Album Gary Hoey put out a while back - maybe something like that - still looking (I'm always changing stuff and never really happy most of the time with changes.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019 10:42:27

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Good example a of a Metal-Head playing through the above unit. Why Can't Surfers use these units.

We absolutely can.
There are so many digital modelers out there that sound AMAZING its criminal more people haven't embraced them. I use the Kemper Amp Modeler and absolutely love it for everything from surf to country all the way to Swedish black metal (literally).
I think it comes down to tradition. Metal players are younger and inherently more willing to experiment with new technology- especially if it gets them massive walls of distortion for pennies on the dollar!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019 15:40:11

I’d LOVE to hear you play Swedish Black Metal Surf!

Daniel Deathtide

Smile DeathTide wrote:

I’d LOVE to hear you play Swedish Black Metal Surf!

Theres TONS of it on YT...
heres one to get you started- not me.

PTPDennis wrote:

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Good example a of a Metal-Head playing through the above unit. Why Can't Surfers use these units.

We absolutely can.
There are so many digital modelers out there that sound AMAZING its criminal more people haven't embraced them. I use the Kemper Amp Modeler and absolutely love it for everything from surf to country all the way to Swedish black metal (literally).
I think it comes down to tradition. Metal players are younger and inherently more willing to experiment with new technology- especially if it gets them massive walls of distortion for pennies on the dollar!

Yeah that's all I use right now is a Amp Modeler - I really spoiled with all the options like rig set ups - I think I've tried every possible combination and pedals by now. I go through cycles with it - and even change up guitars a lot - right now I'm playing a Ibenez Xphos through it - might whip out my Dick Dale Stratocaster soon - I made it from a 2014 Vegas gold Fender Strat with a new cheap white loaded pickguard - it sounds a lot like the old pickups from the 1950's - it sounds a lot like the Beast tone wise etc . . . The original pick-ups were too hot and didn't sound surf enough for me - but the cheap 15 dollar loaded pickguard works great with my rack unit,

Speaking of Multi-Effects boxes, "Waterfall" my contribution to the 2018 SG101 Download compilation was recorded with a Zoom G1Xon. All effects used were in this Zoom box. The "Springs 63" effect is prominent. The guitar was a Steinberger GM (middle pickup single coil).

This recording illustrates that classic surf sounds can be obtained with this multi-effects processor and a guitar not associated with surf. Nothing from Fender was used. For gigs, my 500 watt guitar amp + high power neo speaker + G1Xon box all together weigh about 15 pounds and sound just like my recordings.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019 12:19:39

Yeah Squid, that songs sounds good (Waterfall)

I have been on your site as well - I saw where you played at the 1964 worlds Fair in 65 ….I was there when I was a little kid - The Teemates played there - Was that your band or some other band?

That Zoom G1Xon pedal processor sounds pretty rightous - I like your playing too. Its amazing the sounds you can get out of these boxes even the lower cost ones - studio quality sound. I have a ton of options on mine (almost too much) Smile

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Yeah Squid, that songs sounds good (Waterfall)

I have been on your site as well - I saw where you played at the 1964 worlds Fair in 65 ….I was there when I was a little kid - The Teemates played there - Was that your band or some other band?

That Zoom G1Xon pedal processor sounds pretty rightous - I like your playing too. Its amazing the sounds you can get out of these boxes even the lower cost ones - studio quality sound. I have a ton of options on mine (almost too much) Smile

Hi, Sam,

Thanks for your generous comments.

At the NY Worlds Fair our 4 man combo was "The Counts." Noah Count, Body Count, Disc Count, and Lost Count. Half vocals, half instros. I played a 4-pickup Zim Gar with chrome pickguard and gold foil pickups.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Goto Page: 1 2 Next