Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Super Twin Reverb

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

A fella has this on CL for $700.

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/msg/d/fender-super-twin-reverb/6772641100.html

6x 6L6s, 180 watts - anyone use these? The comments on Ampwares say it cannot break up and that it’s extremely loud. They also say to forget the distortion - but who needs that anyway?!! Also someone said it sounds good at lower levels thanks to the master volume.

Kinda seems like it’d be perfect for a loud surf band like the one I play in. I mean, it’s probably louder and cleaner than the ‘64 Showman?

Daniel Deathtide

It looks a little rough around the edges. Price may indicate it may need some work. Give it a try and let us know how it sounds. Good luck!

Happy Sunsets!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:17:35

Great amp for surf. Extremely loud and clean, but very heavy to drag around. Also a bit expensive to replace the power tubes. Maybe you can pull some tubes to lower the output, like on a regular twin?

I think the price is a casualty of The Big Amp Exodus happening right now.

There’s also a BEAUTIFUL 1965 Twin for $800! It was only used in a church, ever, and it looks museum-preserved. Maybe I should get that instead. Or, in addition to! Maybe it’s a RI, I haven’t seen it in person.

I spoke to the local amp tech about the Super Twin Reverb and he said they don’t have that Twin sound, but would be great for an organ amp. But, I’m currently using a ‘74 120-watt Twin for the organ and it sounds great! It’s actually a brilliant organ amp, so I guess I don’t really need a STR, even if it is only $700... Plus getting SIX 6L6GCs sounds poopy.

Daniel Deathtide

Those have the crazy eq section Fender developed for their top of the line amps and probably dont sound like a standard SFTR ..I guess you could get it to sound like one with enough experimentation . the Super Twin was an answer to a question nobody asked (how can we make this amp louder and cleaner ). I bet they go through speakers with that much power .
a '74 SFTR should be 100 watts btw .

Nope, it’s 120 and about 20 pounds heavier than the ‘70 or ‘72. I actually got it from a dude who hurt his back with it! It’s waaay cleaner than the earlier Twins. With a guitar, it is impossible to get any break up at all. With the organ it starts to dirty up just a tiny, timy bit. In other words, it’s perfect!

The dude just emailed me that it’s still available. And he said it sounds great. $700! Yes it has the crazy EQ, but it’s just a regular linear EQ, not parametric.

Daniel Deathtide

I recently acquired a fender super twin without reverb.
Lots of power, not for guitar.
Great for bass.
Equalizer allows you to dial in whatever you want —

www.LosVenturas.be

I had one for most of the 80's - super clean super loud and super heavy! Lugging it up and down stairs was NOT fun. Way too much amp for most gigs, outdoor shows were the only place it really shined. I eventually got tired of lifting in and out of the trunk of my sedan. Kinda wish I'd hung on to it though but the budget didn't allow for multiple amps (still doesn't)!

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

WellWell, I was going to check it out. Brought a P bass rather than a guitar, since I want an organ amp with reverb. The first, most convenient bridge was closes. The second one had a mass of solid cars for blocks all around it. The third bridge, which is far away, had the entire street closed for blocks before the bride. The last way over was the highway and well, that voice saying “you don’t need another amp!” got louder. So I kept the $700 and went home.

Part of that decision was also because of the comments here, so thanks for sharing!

Daniel Deathtide

This is probably one of the worse amp that Fender ever made. The worst would be “The Twin” or red knob twin but this one comes close. Do not buy this.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:18:01

Good enough for the Nuge, good enough for Dalibor.

Dalibor wrote:

This is probably one of the worse amp that Fender ever made. The worst would be “The Twin” or red knob twin but this one comes close. Do not buy this.

Thanks! I'm not gonna buy it.

Daniel Deathtide

While being a purist, Some might get to narrowminded..with all respect.
I know..wed Jahns era is not the most popular Fender era but the guy know how to deal with amps.
I OWN Some studio bass amps and recently a super twin without the reverb in the circuit. When you don’t push the volumes to extreme this is a very Nice sounding amp. Fat, clean attack with the ‘color’ of your guitar.
Today, with bass, it even felt like it outplayed my studio basses.
Just an opinion from a silly belgian.
Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

LosVenturas wrote:

While being a purist, Some might get to narrowminded..with all respect.
I know..wed Jahns era is not the most popular Fender era but the guy know how to deal with amps.
I OWN Some studio bass amps and recently a super twin without the reverb in the circuit. When you don’t push the volumes to extreme this is a very Nice sounding amp. Fat, clean attack with the ‘color’ of your guitar.
Today, with bass, it even felt like it outplayed my studio basses.
Just an opinion from a silly belgian.
Cheers,
Andy

Ah Jeez. Is $700 a good price? Seems like a good price. I would use it for organ, with some reverb... Maybe bass down the line. Never guitar tho.

Daniel Deathtide

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:18:22

Tqi wrote:

No, you buy Woody's brownface Showman. Don't you dare buy this now. ;)

Heh. Word gets around. You're 1000% right, thank you!

Daniel Deathtide

Dalibor wrote:

Bollocks, these are awesome. Basically, everything everyone else said: they actually sound really good, are too heavy and have lots of things to go wrong, but are PTP wired inside and super easy to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjcZj6GLqFE - the guy's accent is worth the price of admission alone, btw

Also Jim Thomas played a Red Knob Twin for years and it sounded great.

Can we club together to buy Dalibor a Fender FM100?

Too high! $400-$500 tops!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next