Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Boss GT-1

Page 1 of 1

Anyone else using a Boss GT-1 for either practice or recording/gigging?

I’ve been using Boss GT mFX boards since 2003. I had the 6 and 8 but now Iv’e got a 100. I recently finished my first real pedalboard. I built is as more of a recording tool, because the GTs are so good for performance. I feel like in a band setting there’s a lot less tap dancing (especially for somebody like me where effects is a big part of my playing style). I’ve never really been able to dial in a good surf tone outta one, though. Maybe it’s my lack of surf tone nuts and bolts (that’s why I’m here. First post!) There’s a bit of a learning curve, but with the computer editors it’s not as hard as it used to be to set—up a bunch of good sounding patches.

A few tips:
-output setting can make a huge difference (line/PA, combo, stack, etc). Read the manual for details on what does what (good advice in general, but for this it’s specifically useful.)
-if you plan on using it for practicing in headphones then get the right headphones for the job. Your garden variety “studio cans” often fail at this job because they lack bass, and any patches you make with studio fans can sound like doo-doo once you put ‘em through an amp or a PA. I’d say that your standard grade closed back headphones ($30-40) are good. Good quality consumer grade is better ($80-100). The best ones I’ve tried are the Beyer-Dynamic DT-770’s (80 ohm version). They’re my favorite set of fans for tracking too. Well worth the $200, if you have that kinda scratch.

If you have any specific tech questions fire away and I’ll try to help. The 1 is supposed to be be pretty similar to the 100.

I’m experimenting right now with configuring a manual mode, with a Boss FS-6 footswitch. I use the up and down buttons, CTL 1,2,3 as effect toggles. In the Manual Surf Preset I created, that allows me control over fuzz, boost, tremolo, delay and reverb.

Sounds like a pretty good setup. I have an FS6 as well, but I typically used it for delay on/off and tap tempo. Probably not useful for surf and I had a total of 9 buttons I could assign. What kind of amp are you using it with?

mmm314 wrote:

Sounds like a pretty good setup. I have an FS6 as well, but I typically used it for delay on/off and tap tempo. Probably not useful for surf and I had a total of 9 buttons I could assign. What kind of amp are you using it with?

For surf, I run into the effects return on a Peavey Bandit 112. That let’s me use the amps spring reverb as well.

Page 1 of 1