Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Khruangbin - if you dig spacey instrumentals

Page 1 of 1

Khruangbin-- I've been listening to this band's live shows on youtube for the last few days. They are tagged as "Thai funk/surf trio" but I don't hear the surf at all. Just lots of really clean Strat jamming, occasionally with effects. Some vocals, mostly just background parts. If you like the Mermen, give this group a try.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

I discovered this band a while back on a different SG101 thread. They are very, very good. Totally different in instrumental texture. (I love mowing my lawn with their songs in my headphones).

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Whoops, I shoulda done a thread search.

PolloGuitar wrote:

Khruangbin-- I've been listening to this band's live shows on youtube for the last few days. They are tagged as "Thai funk/surf trio" but I don't hear the surf at all. Just lots of really clean Strat jamming, occasionally with effects. Some vocals, mostly just background parts. If you like the Mermen, give this group a try.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Aug 01, 2018 19:24:35

I like the Mermen and I like them. Went to a show to see the opening band and ended up digging them too.

The opening band was The Mattson 2. If you like the above you will like them.

Watched a few vids, still don't get it, perhaps because sound quality was not all that.

The last time I talked to Eddie Angel this was the one recent instrumental band he made a point of mentioning. I don't really hear the surf thing much either, but they are very atmospheric and cool. I will revisit them now.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Love it when seemingly unrelated worlds collide!

6-8 weeks ago now amid a fit of insomnia, I found and started listening to the Crimetown Podcast "The RFK Tapes". They use 'Maria Tambíen' as the intro music and thankfully the end-credits call them out so it was easy to find. Infectious, exotic, trance-like jam. Can't get enough! (First tune in the tiny desk concert vid below)

The middle-eastern slash Indian lines in that tune made me think of them as a modern evolution on Omar Khorshid, which I know gets some love around here too.

Looks like they are globe trottin' right now too with imminent dates in Europe and all parts of the US this summer & fall. I'm aiming to catch them in Raleigh Dec 11th. Woot! Woot!

https://www.songkick.com/artists/4558473-khruangbin/calendar

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Aug 03, 2018 07:43:14

They are great live. Just get there early so you don't get crowded out by all the younger folk. Wink

Glad they are getting some love here. Love this band and their vibe...

Listen to my band The Surfusions on our Bandcamp Page Link
Like The Surfusions on Facebook ... Link
Follow The Surfusions on Twitter ... Link

Saw them on Tiny Desk and have been a big fan ever since. Nice to hear a band that is really different yet kind of familiar at the same time.

Cool conversation on the bands take on their influences and whatnot. Enjoy!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

just found them recently, Been using some of their stuff for house music before concerts. not much surf to be found, but some interesting melodies.

Texas Gold ...yeah their good - The whole band

I never heard of them till a few weeks ago I posted a video somewhere on this site after finding it by mistake looking for surf band s etc....they have lot of good songs, the live stuff sounds studio as well, very hard to do. I looked at their site as well interesting group.

I feel like this thread deserves a resurrection. They're getting more and more fans all the time, and in an age where it seemed like guitars were losing popularity, they're growing a huge fanbase as a largely instrumental guitar-focused group. While they may be surf adjacent at best, I think they're making a lot of space for similar groups, and I've heard a bunch of great copycat bands. I really think that they're emerging as sort of unlikely heroes for us... and at the very least most surf fans I've met like their music.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Hi Hunter, I absolutely agree, listening to Khruangbin is time well spent. I have added them to my surf-mix play list and I don't feel guilty at all.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Page 1 of 1