Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Shazam Live

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hi all,

I hope you are all doing well and in good health.
Last night after work, I felt like playing Shazam in the Shadows style.
Hope you like it.

Blessings,
Abel

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your videos.

Awesome Abdel

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hi all,

Glad you liked this Shadows classic.

I would like to continue to record live, but not on video.
I would like to do live but on my laptop, sit and relax like everyone else.

I bought a Behringer Guitar Link UCG120 and I was very disappointed with the latency.
I need a unit that is more performing but also easy to use, like plug and play.

I have Windows 7.
I thought about the Vox APIO Amplug I / O Guitar, but there is always the latency problem and also,
we must pay for the software that should be actually part of the package ($ 99).

The ideal for me would be a small plug and play unit for PC with a couple of Charlie Hall echoes, namely #8 and 12 that I use exclusively on my videos with the MagicStomp.
I wonder how you guys do it.

Blessings,
Abdel

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018 14:06:04

Beautiful playing Abdel, as usual!

I use the NI Komplete Audio 6 (which is considered pretty good, middle of the road prosumer gear), and I got latency down to as real-time as possible (smooth at 256 samples and even more). I can recommend it, it's good for the price. I'll also admit that with ASIO drivers and built-in motherboard sound chip I can achieve similar results, but naturally with lower sound quality (mainly due to audio path related issues).

FIY, the Behringer (and the VOX too for that matter) are of the lowest tier of interfaces. Aim a little higher, and you'd have a reliable ADC with dedicated drivers. A player of your caliber should, it will make everything easier.
Check out this not complete list: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/618474-audio-interface-low-latency-performance-data-base-52.html#post12811489, to get a general idea to what's what on the pro market. Even the lowest scored there will serve you great.

Thing is, even throwing money at the problem (better PC, better audio card) won't guarantee you a mean recording machine. Some sound cards are famous for low latency (i.e. RME babyface) performance, due to great design and drivers, but a system that is used for games and uncareful interneting, with AV's and gadgets will get them stuck in no time as well. If you're sure latency is the only problem, then with some or a lot of tinkering, you could maximize the performance of what you already got.

After a day's work, I bet you'd want your session to be spontaneous, quick to setup, ready to go, no less than what you're already used to. To achieve that it's gonna take some initial prep.

High latency is cause by: high buffer settings. So you lower it. Oh, there's clicks and pops now.
If you can't get this balance right, that means your system needs optimizing towards the goal of audio production. The basics is: the PC should be running nothing other than the absolute necessary system, recording and playback programs. Only then the true performance of a sound card can be evaluated w/o bias. The computer isn't allowing all it's resources in real time to favor audio related processes, so it's a multi layered fix that can be simple, or the opposite... I refer you to a general summary I wrote once of things to pay attention to, not even a guide. There's a lot to it, so if you need any specifics, I'd be happy to help.

Some good reads: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207359245-Optimising-your-PC-for-audio-on-Windows-7
https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209571729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

As for delay and other FX, there are multiple great free or commercial solutions, but 1st get your clean sound together. You must use some sort of amp sim and cab sim, and have acceptable monitoring. A physical spring unit before any of that brings the magic! It almost compensates for all the digital ruin...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018 17:21:59

The Orange OMEC Teleport has been getting attention recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoiCV2-zMB8

Hi all,

That's a very valuable info there.
I very much appreciate even though it's way above my head.
I am impressed with the level of technicality of Ariel.

Here is the latest:
I picked up my old VOX Tonelab and connected it to my PC.
excellent stereo sound and ... latency.
I thought about what Ariel said about other programs and found out I had 7 IE opened. I also read Ariel's posting on one of the links, invaluable.
The latency occurs when I m playing. The guitar plays a fraction of a second later and it's very disagreeable.
I am restarting my computer and watch.

Crumble,
I was also impressed with the simplicity of the Orange OMEC teleport.
I will explore all these options.

Thank you much.

Blessings to all,
Abdel

Explore the PC stuff at your patience... closing open browser windows is a good start. Disable all start-up programs, including Anti-virus, firewall, any of that junk.

Abdel wrote:

The latency occurs when I m playing. The guitar plays a fraction of a second later and it's very disagreeable.

Agree, it's unacceptable! But:
Your Tonelab is a perfectly capable audio interface (didn't know you had it when I wrote before), so other options won't do you much better now. All you have to worry about is what's on the other end of the USB cable. Make sure to install the latest drivers for it, and dive into the manual.
You can set it up for direct monitoring, that's one way to avoid latency when playing live.

Buena fortuna!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018 07:37:29

Hi Ariel,

Thank you for you help.
Tonight, I will post a picture of my connection setup and when you have time, you can tell me what I got wrong.
I am very happy with the sound though.

Blessings,
Abdel

Abdel.
Looking to the Behringer forum they are saying the newer asio4all drivers are very poor and advise using the original Behringer branded drivers which will work fine with Windows 7 & 10.

The Behringer website support is a disaster, they don't even list the Behringer Guitar Link UCG120 anymore. However the newer UCG102 uses the same driver software.

Look to the bottom of the page - weblink below.
https://forum.musictri.be/showthread.php?7367-Where-did-the-Behringer-ASIO-drivers-for-the-UCG102-and-UM2-go/page2

If you are using the newer asio4all drivers then it's probably wise to uninstall them before installing the original Behringer drivers.

There should then be some software on your PC with adjustment for latency.

Hi all,

Thank you Crumble, Ariel. I will download the ASIOALL.

I went on and ordered the new Orange OMEC Teleport.
It seems to be the best solution for me. An easy way to implement the following scenario:
Guitar --> MagicStomp(Echo pedal)--> Teleport -->PC (Audacity).
Hopefully it will work. The zZounds support told me so.

Blessings to all,
Abdel

I'm sorry Abdel, but don't see any advantage for the Orange interface over the devices you already have (aside from the form factor which you may like). My guess is it won't improve your latency situation, maybe just by a little bit.
You can either install the original Behringer drivers, as Crumble cleverly pointed out,
or use the Amplug which you like the sound of, with it's own drivers, and go from there on improving your setup. The MagicStomp can be used after the guitar and before the ADC in all situations.
Using the audio out from the the VOX for monitoring, while recording via the USB.

Hi Ariel,

Thank you for your expert comments.
I will try the Teleport when I get it today, and if, like you say, it won't
make a difference, I would appreciate you helping me to setup either the Amplug (it's actually not meant for recording, the Amplug I/O is) or the Tonelab to my PC, if and when you have time.

Blessings,
Abdel

Hi Ariel, Crumble,

Frustration grows as I just got the Orange Omec Teleport and the latency is
still there albeit a tiny bit better.
I tried all kind of connection and settings possible.
Here are the scenario I experimented with:

• Guitar > Teleport >(USB)PC
    Latency is just a bit better, but the sound is pretty dull

• Guitar > MXR(EQ) > MagicStomp(Echo) >Teleport > PC.
    Latency quite the same but very good sound.

• Guitar > Tonelab >Output > PC Microphone in
    Latency a bit worse but still a good and versatile sound

• Guitar > Tonelab > Phone output > PC in
    Latency the same and very good sound.

• Guitar > Tonelab > Teleport > (USB) PC
    Latency a tiny bit better but still unacceptable, very good sound.

Assuming all conditions are equal, which scenario would normally work best from these 5 .

I might just stick to live video recording.

Thank you much for your feedback,
Abdel

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 14:51:44

Abdel.
In most cases latency is adjusted by the software you are using. If you are using Audacity you'll see some drop-down boxes for audio devices for either incoming sound or outgoing sound out through the speakers. Just make a note of how they are configured before you start then choose one that states "USB" for sound coming into the PC.

You may need to experiment until sound comes out. If there is latency then look to the toolbar and chose "Edit" then "Preferences". On the next screen click "Devices" and look for "Buffer" and the Latency adjustment box. Mine say's 100 milliseconds which seems way too much because I'm normally looking for something like 12 milliseconds.

You have to get used to this kind of adjustment/configuration with all other audio software.

It could be that the Windows driver is too slow. You could try Asio4all drivers instead, once installed there should be adjustment on the taskbar. http://www.asio4all.org/

With the Orange Teleport, go to the website and to the FAQ page in support. Help is there for Windows 7 users.

Hopefully Ariel will chime in soon, don't give up yet Abdel !!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 16:34:34

Abdel, when you write "PC in" do you mean going into the audio input of the PC? That negates the use of an external sound card, and usually is of the lowest audio quality, not to mention each device you go through unnecessarily degrades the sound in various ways. Forget about that, you've got 3 external devices (that I know of...) that could work pretty well, if, like I stressed before, you'd address the issues with your computer.
Don't despair, but what you don't need is more boxes!

Concentrate on 1 device. On it's face, seems to me your best option is the Vox Tonelab. It has superior conversion than the others, and dedicated drivers.
Your path: Guitar > (Magicstomp) > Tonelab > PC USB. Tonelab audio out to powered monitors or headphones optional, it will bypass the latency problem.

You got some work cut out for you, let's start with:

1. Control Panel - Backup - Create system image. For any case.
  2. Control Panel - device manager - Sound etc - uninstall all audio drivers, disable the internal one to avoid conflicts, also any redundant device that's not connected/in use.
  3. NEVER install any 3rd party offers from any of the downloads.
    Download and run ccleaner as a broad 1st step to clean your PC. The defaults are usually proper, but check anyway. Use the cleaner and clean registry functions. In tools - startup - windows tab, disable entries, most are not needed.
  4. Download and install latest drivers for the Tonelab. Read the manual, follow instructions. Learn how to adjust buffer settings and experiment with them.
  5. Download and install processhacker, it will show us in real time what's taking the processing power. RAM and CPU usage are the important parameters, we're looking for unusually high usage, or spikes. Video cards are usual suspects.
  6. I sure hope your Windows is updated, and you've already disabled anti-virus or any other running software in the background.

The problem needs to be solved surgically, so take it step by step. We're at preparing the patient stage: fasting, cleaning of the bowels and MRI.

Follow the guides I posted before to the letter, as well as all the details in my post that I linked. You must progress with that, as much as annoying, cumbersome and Kafka-esque this process may be, the PC has to be right for audio work, and that's never a given. Even if I personally optimized your system, it's you who will maintain it. Helping you remotely this way demands action on your side beside buying stuff. Post screenshots, and we'll do our best!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 20:16:36

Hi Folks,

I much appreciate your help.

Here is the latest.
I am moving from my Win7 Laptop to my Dell PC Win 8.1 with more RAM, very little in it and tons of space.
Thus I will be freeing the coffee table in the family room of all these cables and gears (I always wondered what was making my wife so angry for no reason) and settling in my video recording room (completely crowded too).
I printed all your precious feedback and will apply it to the new PC.
I recall that a long time ago, my audio recording scenario was:

• Guitar > MagicStomp echo > amp in > amp stereo out to PC in.
    and I don't recall having any latency issue. If I had some, it was in
    the recording (which is easier to handle: either cut some silence or add
    some at the start).

• I will be re-conducting the same scenario, but this time with my new
    Mustang with Dual XLR and dual 1/4" line outputs with level control USB
    connectivity for high-quality low-latency audio output and computer
    connectivity.
    I will keep you posted if you can still put up with my rambling.

Crumble,
I downloaded and installed the ASIO driver, but it doesn't show in my task tray.

Ariel,
I do mean going into the audio input of the PC.

I recorded a song last night with the Tonelab output to PC In.
It was a veritable torture. I played like a debutant. I will post it tonight. You will hear the hesitations, the rushing, the endings before or after the downbeat etc ...
It's impossible to play even with an improved latency.

Blessings,
Abdel

Hi Abdel,

For recording it's no problem to monitor in real time before digital conversion and then just shift/cut the audio in Audacity if you need it to sync to something. Latency comes into play only when trying to monitor after conversion, or when mixing live. So that pretty much solves it. It's a very common practice in professional studios.

I am moving from my Win7 Laptop to my Dell PC Win 8.1 with more RAM, very little in it and tons of space.

If the Dell is desktop then you'll have other advantages, but for fighting latency DISK and RAM don't matter (unless there's not enough working space) as much as faster CPU and better optimized operating system to enable it. If one of your PC's is 64 bit then choose that. Win8 is worse than Win7 (more stuff to disable), a fresh installation of 7 SP1 on a SSD is the best scenario, if you have the patience.

I printed all your precious feedback and will apply it to the new PC.

Excellent! Start with the steps I detailed in my previous post, and go over the guides and apply what's relevant.
It all matters, and any one of these steps could mean a huge difference in performance, but you have to go over everything. Until that you do, any advantage you think you're getting with all these experiments is negligible or imaginary.

...Mustang with Dual XLR and dual 1/4" line outputs with level control USB connectivity for high-quality low-latency audio output and computer
connectivity.

Wait, so your Mustang has USB out too? If so, that's an option. Post the exact model so I can see the specs.

I do mean going into the audio input of the PC.
I recorded a song last night with the Tonelab output to PC In.

Why? I'm trying not to be redundant here, but you keep ignoring my advice... I'm not guessing. Don't do that.
Do not go into the AUDIO IN of the PC. Stay away from the MIC IN too. The internal converters are the worst - bad dynamic range, high noise floor, low db ceiling, under-powered, susceptible to leaks of static, magnetic interference and no software support. Not good.

...amp stereo out to PC in. and I don't recall having any latency issue.

And now you do, that's because it's a bad option. Generic ASIO is let's say, finicky, Windows drivers are impossible. You have a wealth of better, more reliable options, even if you'd get it to work.
Go into the PC with one of your USB2 devices [VOX Tonelab], using USB cable. Install the proper drivers for it, remove the rest. Choose it as the default sound device for recording. Make the PC work right - the problem is %100 software, and then, you'll be able to hear the notes while you play them.

You didn't mention - how exactly do you monitor? Sound comes out of what?

I will keep you posted if you can still put up with my rambling.

Please do! others could learn a thing or two too from the process. Just please follow what I already laid out for you. You don't fix a computer problem by randomly trying stuff. I didn't invent any of it, fighting latency is a global issue. I'm no expert, but this time I really do know what I'm talking about. Cool

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018 16:22:58

Abdel wrote:

Crumble,
I downloaded and installed the ASIO driver, but it doesn't show in my task tray.

According to the manual the ASIO Driver should magically appear on the task bar when an audio hardware device is connected and initialised in whatever software application you are using - for instance Audacity.

By initialised I think it means the ASIO driver is chosen. See the picture below and the 4 dropdown boxes where drivers can be chosen.

Hi Crumbel, Ariel,

Malcolm (I just found your name under your profile),
I know only too well those 4 drop down boxes. I have been changing them many many times again since the beginning of our discussion.
But I cannot see the ASIO driver listed. either in Audacity or CoolEdit.
The ASIO Contril Panel popped up the first time I opened Audacity and was not clickable at all. After that, never seen it again and there is no executable to start the Driver panel.

Ariel,
I think I read in one of your discussions (not sure if it was you saying it) that going from the headphone output of the gear to the Audio in of the PC would bypass the analog to digital processing by the sound card and that would reproduce only the unaltered analog sound from the gear. And indeed the sound was amazing, but the Latency horrible.
I am learning the hard way I guess.

This is what is said about the amp input / output:

Headphone output; auxiliary input
Dual XLR and dual 1/4" line outputs with level control
Onboard chromatic tuner
USB connectivity for high-quality low-latency audio output/computer connectivity
Fender FUSE software included as a free download
Ableton Live 8 Fender Edition included
two stereo XLR outputs, headphone output and auxiliary input

USB Port
• Use the USB port to connect the Mustang™ amplifier to
your computer and take your music to the next level
• Record and edit Mustang audio using Ableton® Live Lite 8
• Stream live audio and play with people around the world using Fender®
BAND JAM