Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender American Pro Jag/Jazzmaster Bridge

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I noticed today that the Fender American Pro Series Jag/JM bridges are available for purchase (Darren Reilly has them for $54.00).
Was wondering if they are anything more than a Mustang bridge with a 9.5" radius and if the E to E string spread is still a bit wide for a Jag/JM ?

Hey thanks for the heads up on these. I was hoping they would come available. They look to me like an update on the mustang bridge, a little more substantial and for 9.5 radius, and very similar to the Staytrem bridge which I have one one of my Jazzmasters and really like. Although others have issues with it. I wonder if Fender may have had the Staytrem in mind when they designed it because they used the Staytrem on the CS Johnny Marr Jag. For that price In gonna order one for another Jazzer.

Fender ripped off the Staytrem when Johnny gave them one, Staytrem stole the string spacing from Mastery when Johnny gave them one.

Before we get too excited......I've been reading some reviews of the American Pro Jags/JM's and a recurring issue mentioned in many of those reviews are issues with the low and high E's being too close to the fretboard edge (especially the high E). I don't know if this is due to the fretboard edges being rolled on the Am Pro's or the bridge's E to E string spread being too wide. Hopefully someone can give us a definitive answer.

Same issue as the Marr bridge.

It looks like the American professional bridge, as well as the Marr bridge, and the classic Mustang bridge are all 56mm E-e string width. The Staytrem is 52mm. Same with Mastery.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Thanks to everyone for the info. It looks like Fender missed the boat on this one with the E to E width. I'll stick with the stock bridge on my Squier VM Jag.

I have a TVL Jazzmaster with that bridge, and the strings are definitely too close to the edge. I ordered a Staytrem yesterday.

Thanks for the input guys. Guess it is back to Staytrem for me for the bridge for my other Jazzmaster.

JakeDobner wrote:

Fender ripped off the Staytrem when Johnny gave them one, Staytrem stole the string spacing from Mastery when Johnny gave them one.

I don’t know what you’re referring to here. I will tell you this... the new collet design, or, sleeve, as fender is calling it now,(used on the Pro Series jag/Jazz) is a perfect, elegant fix to the age old problem of trem bar functionality. It’s threaded, uses a proprietary spring, stays exactly where I want it with exactly the correct amount of tension. AND: if you lose the supplied trem bar, you can use a strat bar findable anywhere!!!!

I’m going to change every jaguar I have to this solution. I’ve replaced a couple of my real problem cases so far, and life is good.

I don’t care for th StayTrem. Weird, proprietary bar that sits up too high. If you lose the bar you’re in trouble.

Sorry for the thread derail.

All good info is welcome here. I went with putting a slight bend in the part of the trem arm that goes into the "collet" on my Squier Jag....but we're talking about a 275.00 used Squier. The fix Fender came up with on the Pro Series sounds like the way to go. Just unfortunate that they couldn't come up with a better bridge "upgrade". Ironically, from my own experience and reading others solutions to the stock Jag bridge, it just seems that the right neck angle, and a better made and thought out version of the stock bridge would get the job done.

Surfadelphia wrote:

All good info is welcome here. I went with putting a slight bend in the part of the trem arm that goes into the "collet" on my Squier Jag....but we're talking about a 275.00 used Squier. The fix Fender came up with on the Pro Series sounds like the way to go. Just unfortunate that they couldn't come up with a better bridge "upgrade". Ironically, from my own experience and reading others solutions to the stock Jag bridge, it just seems that the right neck angle, and a better made and thought out version of the stock bridge would get the job done.

They changed the neck angle 10* in 2012 for The AVRI guitars. Also, I THINK custom shop guitars have that, too.
Custom Shop has a bridge upgraded new design. Price point is considered, I’m sure for non-custom shop guitars.

SlacktoneDave wrote:

I don’t know what you’re referring to here. I will tell you this... the new collet design, or, sleeve, as fender is calling it now,(used on the Pro Series jag/Jazz) is a perfect, elegant fix to the age old problem of trem bar functionality. It’s threaded, uses a proprietary spring, stays exactly where I want it with exactly the correct amount of tension. AND: if you lose the supplied trem bar, you can use a strat bar findable anywhere!!!!

I’m going to change every jaguar I have to this solution. I’ve replaced a couple of my real problem cases so far, and life is good.

I don’t care for th StayTrem. Weird, proprietary bar that sits up too high. If you lose the bar you’re in trouble.

Sorry for the thread derail.

I was referring to the Staytrem bridge, I forgot, despite the company name, that they made a vibrato solution.

If the neck angle is better on the Am Pro's but the bridge string spread is wrong I guess maybe they went "a bridge too far". Ouch....couldn't help myself.

Dave, is this new collet available separately?

FritzCat wrote:

Dave, is this new collet available separately?

I’ve only been successful getting the entire tailpiece. I bought two.
The collets, or “sleeves” as fender is calling them on the drawing, I have not found a way to get the entire assembly, which is sleeve, spring, and special Allen screw cap.

Dave, can you provide part numbers?

I googled the part number from my invoice and this cam up:

http://darrenriley.com/store/fender-american-pro-jaguar-jazzmaster-tremolo-7710479000/

SlacktoneDave wrote:

Dave, in your view, are there any other improvements you see in this unit? I'm thinking of things we've watched you do over time, such as smoothing of edges, etc.

Oh, yeah, and the arm at Darren Riley is here.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Arm and tip sold separately.
C’mon, fender, sell the whole thing together...

Goto Page: 1 2 Next