Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Closed back cabinet - what speakers?

Page 1 of 1

Hello friends,

I have a question:

I've been playing an open backed cabinet combo amp for all the years I've been playing Surf.

For a number of reasons, I have been really thinking that a closed back design might be better for the tighter, deeper, more attack-y bass-spectrum sounds that I want out of my Jaguar. Looking at you, Frankie fr. Volcanics!

So -

I own a 2x12 can that I could load to try this.

Can you please recommend best speakers to get what I am after?

Or, must I have a 1x15 in a Showman-type box to get that sound?

Thanks everyone!

Adrian

><)))°> .oO Fascinating Creatures of the Deep Oo. ><)))°>

I’m a big fan of EV-Ls. They’re heavy, but you can’t blow those things, super strong. They won’t to distort , which in my mind is a good thing, you get headroom, and you can hear the power amp distortion instead of the speaker distortion. Which I find more musical.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 14:13:48

DannySnyder wrote:

I’m a big fan of EV-Ls. They’re heavy, but you can’t blow those things, super strong. They won’t to distort , which in my mind is a good thing, you get headroom, and you can hear the power amp distortion instead of the speaker distortion. Which I find more musical.

Thank you buddy

+1 on the EVM-12L's

These replaced the original Oxfords in my '65 Bamdmaster. It is a different (MUCH better-sounding) amp now.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

I think Eddie Katcher is the one that started the appreciation of EV speakers by surf musicians. I'm a believer! I've got an EV SRO 15 (older version of 15L) in my tone ring Showman cab, used with a '64 Showman; 2 12Ls in my Bandmaster cab (which is actually a '60s Bassman cab), and 2 10" EVs in my reissue Vibroverb. Yeah, they DO weigh a ton, but the sound is amazing.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I second the EV's and the advice of Senor Katcher, wherever he is at the moment. If you go check out the for sale forum right now, long-time forum member Fady has a couple of 12L's for sale.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Thanks all.

Lorenzo last night told me about Eminence Patriot Commonwealth 12"s

Those are nowhere to be found. I wish there would be a way to check out both, but I will say I always liked EV when I played bass, so may just do this.

Thx!

Adrian I'm only using the one EV12L, mainly because of the weight issue. I have it in my bandmaster cab, I just made a new baffle. That being said, I know you liked the 2 amp setup, so why not get two 1x12 cabs with long speaker cables and put on each side of the stage?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Well... maybe that's a great idea. I still want the 2 amps. I just was enamored with what was going on in the lows with Frankie's Showman & Jag. Just gritty but not dirty.

Really a perfect sound as long as you can get the cleans you want too by backing off the touch or the vol knob just a tad perhaps.

I just already have a 2 x 12 I used to play through in my old punk band, so I thought I'd maybe try it first.

Yep, I guess I did open up a can of worms with the EV speaker deal. Believe me, over the last 50 years of my ongoing fascination with electric guitars and in particular the amplifiers, I found the EV's to be the ones will do it all, and like Danny sez, they are tough as nails. I do have other speakers that I like, but the EV's will dish it out.....and they can take it. When the amp starts to "get urgent," they really shine.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Shameless plug - pair of EVM12L Classics waiting just for YOU: https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/30431/

All these guys can't be wrong!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Page 1 of 1