PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
188 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
166 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
134 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
128 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
89 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
22 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
22 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

40%

40%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jazzmaster > Jaguar

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

The Jazzmaster is finally my number one surf guitar. Probably my favorite overall. For those not in the know the Jag was my favorite for surf and my Gretsch my favorite for miscellaneous/other.

The Jag didn't get any worse, the Jazzmaster didn't get any better. I think my music tastes and influences have changed slightly. Also, playing my Jazzmaster feels cooler, that has nothing to do with scale length for those 24" scale length haters.

Funny! I'm going the other way from my jazz to my jag! All due to tone . The jazz is more versatile, but that twang and sting I get from the jag is just so different from my other guitars.

You guys aren't helping me at all, I'm trying to choose one over the other (for now).

Don

What are your favorite bands? Also, take into account how cool you think they look. Personally I think the AV Jags are nicer than the AV Jazzmasters. CIJ Jazzmasters pretty much the same as the CIJ Jags.

JakeDobner
What are your favorite bands?

That's exactly what Danny asked me last weekend. Smile I don't have an answer that tilts the balance toward the JM or Jag...I love both sounds, and looks. Right now I'm on a Nebulas binge (Mosrite), so that doesn't help much. I'm leaning toward an AV JM.

Anyway, don't want to hijack your thread...but will be lurking for clues.

Don

Feel free to hijack my thread.

Nebulas, lots of Jag action. Pilgrims, all Jaguars, except for Scott on jazzmaster like one time.

I've never really played either, but I just recently came to the decision as a listening fan that I think I like Jazzmasters over Jaguars. Just barely. So I guess I'm kinda in the same boat as Jake.
Of course, that's to take the number two spot behind Strats, for my tastes. If I were to get another guitar, it'd be a Jazz (hint hint JetBlue). Wink

I'd rather listen to a jag. Pilgrims, Eddie and the Showmen, Reluctant Aquanauts, and Slacktone. A much more agressive tone, yet it can sound really sweet at the same time.

Jazzmasters are great but a little less surfy in my opinion.

JakeDobner, can you clear things up a bit?

You said...

The Jazzmaster is finally my number one surf guitar.Probably my favorite overall. For those not in the know the Jag was my favorite for surf and my Gretsch my favorite for miscellaneous/other.

The Jag didn't get any worse, the Jazzmaster didn't get any better. I think my music tastes and influences have changed slightly. Also, playing my Jazzmaster feels cooler, that has nothing to do with scale length for those 24" scale length haters.

Then you say..
.> What are your favorite bands? Also, take into account how cool you think they look. Personally I think the AV Jags are nicer than the AV Jazzmasters. CIJ Jazzmasters pretty much the same as the CIJ Jags.

And then...

I'd rather listen to a jag.Pilgrims, Eddie and the Showmen, Reluctant Aquanauts, and Slacktone. A much more agressive tone, yet it can sound really sweet at the same time.

Jazzmasters are great but a little less surfy in my opinion.

All in the same thread. One you started.
You have surely confused this old guy .... Hmmm
Which do you really prefer??

Joel

I'd rather play a Jazzmaster and have it be my tone

I'd rather hear someone else play a Jag than Jazzmaster.

My Jazzmaster is vintage. Therefore AV Jag can still be greater than AV Jazz.

As for the Jazzmaster being my new surf number one and saying the Jazzmaster is less surfy than the Jag is my having less surf influences in my playing.

Hope that clears it up.

Jags are amazing, I love hearing them and playing them.

I just prefer my Jazzmaster at the moment.

JetBlue
You guys aren't helping me at all, I'm trying to choose one over the other (for now).

The Jaguar is the surf beast besides strats, The Jaguar is and always has been my main guitar for ever trade of music I have gotten my self into I don't care if it looks cool or not or the color or trends it's just a guitar I have grown up with playing since middle school and I just freaking turned 31 last week! I'm in it for the music not for the fucking guitars or amps I'm here to give surf music my 2 cents with my band The Verbtones and leave our stamp in any way shape or form LONG LIVE SURF MUSIC!! Im the 2nd generation to play surf in my family Cool

So my friend get a Jaguar!!!

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

JakeDobner Thanks for a fine reply.

So what you are saying if I understand correctly. Is that you really like the sound of a Jaguar. But not when you play one.
You really like the sound of a Jazzmaster when you play it, but not when someone else plays one.

So am I close?
Joel

I still love it when others play Jazzmasters, especially in non-surf. But for others playing surf the Jag is king.

Hey Jake Mike your bandmate he's an excellent picker on his AV Jazzmaster.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

diceophonic> JetBlue wrote:

The Jaguar is the surf beast besides strats, The Jaguar is and always has been my main guitar for ever trade of music I have gotten my self into I don't care if it looks cool or not or the color or trends it's just a guitar I have grown up with playing since middle school and I just freaking turned 31 last week! I'm in it for the music not for the fucking guitars or amps I'm here to give surf music my 2 cents with my band The Verbtones and leave our stamp in any way shape or form LONG LIVE SURF MUSIC!! Im the 2nd generation to play surf in my family
So my friend get a Jaguar!!!

Or a Jazzmaster, or a stratocaster, or one of those funny looking things pictured in another thread.

JetBlue,,It doesn't <u>_really_</u> matter what you get as it will become your own sound. as Jake has said above (I believe), just have fun and rock out with what ever seems <u>_coolest to you_</u>!!! Guitar

Joel

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007 00:28:15

diceophonic
Hey Jake Mike your bandmate he's an excellent picker on his AV Jazzmaster.

He just got a thin skin Jag in Fiesta Red. And yes, he is an amazing guitarist on his Jazzmaster.

Auuugh the heck with it.
My #1 allaround is a custom Strat.
My #1 for surf is my Jazz.
My gretsch is #1 what ever I need it for!
The Yamaha accustic is #1 for teaching guitar lessons.

Is that to many #1's??

Jet blue. Just buy a guitar and have fun. Groovy

Joel

Tone-wise it has always seemed to me, that Jazzmaster :: Stratocaster as Jaguar :: Telecaster.

I love the mighty bite and girth of a Telecaster's tone. So I chose Jaguar.

SSIV

I use my Jazzmasters for everything: Surf, Instro, Top-40, wedding band, you name it. I usually carry the Jaguar to clubs and unfamiliar venues as a back up in case RFI becomes an issue. I know a lot of you guys love the Jags but they feel like a "toy" to me.....no offense. If you want the Jazzmaster to sound more Jaggie, lower the pickups.........ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Hey Eddie. This isn't a jab or anything but a serious suggestion. Swap your jag for a jazz and do something with the pickups... Sounds like you'd be happier with two jazzs! Rock

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next