Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Anyone else battle with lack of motivation?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Doing surf, in particular. I love the music so much, both listening and playing. But I don't do music as a hobby, generally (i try to make a rule of at least breaking even... and that would have to be for a real labor of love). I am fine with not making bucket loads of money from the project. But after all the song writing, gathering like minded musicians, and recording... it feels anti climactic to have a hand full of cds given to friends, or a YouTube video with 30 views. I am a goal oriented musician. I guess I am trying to figure out what the end result could possibly hold for a music I absolutely adore that seems to have not a bit of value to anyone outside of this very specific crowd. What both inspires me and bums me out is seeing all of these utterly amazing surf bands (mostly that I've been exposed to on here) not getting the recognition they deserve. I guess I'm hoping for some stories of some kind of success. Or just maybe an idea of some attainable goals rather than playing a convention on my own dime once a year if I'm lucky. I'm not slamming that trajectory at all. I'm just saying that for me I have to choose which projects to spend time on. I don't have time for another hobby. And I don't know that I can sink so much time, energy and money on something seemingly fated for not much success at all.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

The person coming up after a set and letting you know how much they enjoyed the set makes it all worth while. When they call out specific traits of your music that you work on or strive to hit, that is double.

Its not just surf bands not getting the recognition they deserve. There are a lot of really great bands/musicians out there drawing such small crowds. Surf music is very far from the 'musical flavor of the day' at the moment. Don't expect that to change for another 10-20. The 3rd wave was really buoyed by the kind of DIY spirit that we are all currently working in. That was really popular back in the 90s. Instrumental surf's closest musical analogy is probably punk, and punk had that same success in the 90s built off that DIY spirit.

Now days people like a really polished package, there are no surf bands offering that. We see a lot of retro designs, surf/sea/etc theme things, and stuff that harkens to our vision of surf. Our recordings aren't polished either, and I think a polished surf record is something I have no interest in. A good surf record was mostly recorded live in the studio with overdubs.

I'm very happy with where the 'Verb is right now. We almost never play but when we do the crowds are 75%+ full and I take home $100-300 in house/guarantee/merch sales. We don't do the band fund anymore, and just distribute the money.

We/Surf in Seattle has kind of found a little niche in the rockabilly/greaser/rev'd up roots scene.

And with Youtube, keep in mind you aren't going to get views without regular content, and quality content at that. You need to advertise (post links in social media), and really put work into it. Youtube is much to large for a surf band to put a fan shot video online and expect anybody to see it.

I just wrote the most perfect essay about music surf and my band and the fricken computer refreshed or some shit and the whole thing got wiped out.

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

if its success you're looking for, you need a different genre.
or you could just do what the rest of us do: go out and have some fun.

I don't know how else to say that without sounding like (more of) a total asshole.

About 35 yrs ago I wandered in to a little steakhouse/bar with some friends. I didn't drink in those days. Still don't these days.
Anyway, this place had a live band playing. This band was maybe one of the best I have ever heard. Ever.
The players were very tight, and the female singer was better than many professionals I have ever heard. People would call out songs and this band would do them in a flash.
She could go from Streisand to Reta Coolidge to Linda Ronstadt and end up with Nina Simon.
A year or so ago I happened into a small coffee house and saw the same woman singing with a lone guitar player. I was with a friend that was also going to be on stage.
Anyway I talked to these two aged performers. Told of hearing them so many years before. I ask what had prevented them from becoming a famous band.
They both said.
Life....
They said that they gave it all they could. They gave up having a family, lost contact with almost all their friends, and never had a steady income and still never even got to being a little famous.
They said they were still living gig to gig.
Life... it can or cannot give you what you desire.
I'm not trying to be a downer here, but even great bands, had trouble getting started. And,,They were playing music that was popular at the time.
Surf music was popular in the 1960 - 70's ish,,,
If you want to be successful in your music, you might have to change your sound. For heavens sake, don't go to Nashville . There are at least thousands of musicians looking for even a free gig there.
Here in our little surf music clutch we have our heros, some band that are very very good. but step outside our arena and people will ask, the Madeira who??? The Eliminators?? Jon and the Nightriders??

Last edited: Sep 04, 2017 18:45:38

It's hard to articulate what exactly I mean. I am in a punk band that is fairly successful. We don't make tons of money, but we do make money. And we get flown all over the world to do gigs. When I put something out with this band, there is a, not huge, but decent amount of people that get excited about it... hear it.. and even (gasp) purchase it. I'm in other pro bands strictly to make money when I'm at home, as well.

Then, I have been in 'hobby' bands. They didn't make tons. But they broke even. And when we played out, a fair amount of local people showed up. When things were posted, people from all over the world commented/checked it out. But in smaller numbers. People still bought records. And there would be an occasional 'rock star' gig in a big venue for good money.

Lastly, I have been in bands that put a ton of money and effort and practice into recording and playing out. Under 10 people would show up, consistently. When we recorded music, we couldn't even give it away. When a video is posted, there were 20 views, world wide.

I can't say the last situation was entirely rewarding to me. I don't mind not making money. But I do mind no one caring except the dudes in the band. I'm not one of those people that just like to play for myself in a band context. It's just not my thing.

Every time I delve deeper and deeper into the current surf scene, I feel like that's where I'm headed. I love the music more than anything. But I almost feel like it may be better to stay a listener. But that is also unsatisfying (as I always want to play stuff I like). Ugh.

I guess I am just hoping to hear some stories of success above just getting together with some dudes to jam surf tunes once in awhile. For inspiration to continue, mostly. I suppose it's partially regional, too. Though untested, I haven't noticed much of a surf music scene here. Though I'm in Florida, so it seems it would be fitting. But my friend on the West Coast tells me about these parties that take place in hotel rooms where surf bands play and they are well-attended and everyone has fun. Semi-regularly. That is a goal I could definitely go for. I just don't think they have anything comparable to that here in FL. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being a downer. I get in these moods where I feel like I'm fighting against the world with this stuff.

what is the punk band?

If you are in a punk band that is on a label, I'm sure there are people that are paid to help promote the band.
There isn't a lot of money in surf, thus nobody really promotes it like a more popular music genre.
What is the name of your surf band?
Can you post a video here?

Do you like near Fort Lauderdale?
Go see some surf bands at the Mai Kai,
Then ask them to help you try to get your band in there for a gig.
Then possibly at the Annual Hukilau Tiki event.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Chippertheripper wrote:

what is the punk band?

Down by law is the name.

The very legends of surf music can be found playing for free, and maybe sometimes getting paid.
Those stories you speak of, parties in hotel rooms with surf bands playing.
Someone's been pulling your leg.
If you play surf for fun you might enjoy yourself. If you do it for money you will be disappointed.
Just saying...

SamDBL wrote:

Down by law is the name.

Sounds great! I actually remember your songs from comps and stuff back in the day. I had tons of Epitaph stuff being a big Rancid fan. Been revisiting a lot of that stuff recently. I was listening to a lot of punk of that era in junior high and then last few months of junior high I got some surf records and there went my punk fascination!

You were part of a really cool era of music! A very distinct independent scene. I wish we had that for surf music.

Joelman wrote:

Those stories you speak of, parties in hotel rooms with surf bands playing.
Someone's been pulling your leg.

I'm not sure about hotel rooms, but there have been some private parties/jams with some of the big boys of surf involved.

Surf bands play room parties at tiki oasis, in San Diego
One week after the surf guitar 101 convention,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

JakeDobner wrote:

SamDBL wrote:

Down by law is the name.

Sounds great! I actually remember your songs from comps and stuff back in the day. I had tons of Epitaph stuff being a big Rancid fan. Been revisiting a lot of that stuff recently. I was listening to a lot of punk of that era in junior high and then last few months of junior high I got some surf records and there went my punk fascination!

You were part of a really cool era of music! A very distinct independent scene. I wish we had that for surf music.

Thanks. We played with rancid at a festival out in San Bernadine just last weekend,

bigtikidude wrote:

Surf bands play room parties at tiki oasis, in San Diego
One week after the surf guitar 101 convention,

That must be it. I heard agent orange played this past one.

Joelman wrote:

If you play surf for fun you might enjoy yourself. If you do it for money you will be disappointed.
Just saying...

Yeah. I get that. I'm trying to be clear that I'm not measuring success by money, here. Rather, I don't want to play in a band that no one cares about at all. When I see videos of absolutely amazing surf bands playing to crowds of 10 uninterested people, it makes me wonder if there is any chance in hell of me doing any better.

SamDBL wrote:

Chippertheripper wrote:

what is the punk band?

Down by law is the name.

I'll have to go back through the archives, but I'm 99% certain I've seen DBL play at least once during the mid/late 90's.
Wolfpack (dys) is one of those songs I can hear in its entirety in my imagination...which I guess isn't too much of a feat in the end.

Read the interview Ivan posted of himself. He's subsidized his own efforts.
Even at 150, DD still has to tour. I don't know if I could call what MOAM do "making a living", but I'm sure they at least come out ahead, if not only a little.

Sam, you have some real soul searching to do. Do you have room for a hobby like another band or are you trying to wedge it into an already busy life? Are you in the position of justifying the time/expense to a significant other? Is performing the best part of having a band for you, or is it the challenge of finding and establishing your own voice in the surf genre? Will you feel ridiculous playing punk music well into your 50's or 60's? And to crowds of other middle aged punkers?

My own personal surf music journey had me answer questions like that, and continues to evolve as new questions arise. Early on I've had to come to terms with my 80's-90's era band expectations slowly giving way to 21st century reality. Ultimately, I've found my greatest success is the friendships I've built through this music, which are worth far more than a few hundred bucks per gig. Beyond that, the pride in having created a catalog of music over the years, instead of a catalog of DVD's or well used tiki mugs etc...

Even with the better opportunities on the West Coast here, if you add up all the money we *** spent on the band (recordings,travel, rehearsal rent,gear) we haven't made a fraction of that back. But I compare it to other hobbies and I think we come out pretty good. Golf club memberships, ski passes, fishing boats, hiking in exotic places - shits expensive.

My journey has now taken me to Europe twice, The SG101 convention every year (playing at atleast half of them) 2 albums and all kinds of shows. I can't tell you how much I've spent of my own money and time, but that's the point. I can't tell you because over time you forget about the money, but you remember all the good times and the feeling when your music really connects with someone. That's really what life's about, IMHO.

I'm glad you posted this, it's one of the most important things we can discuss here at SG101, and this forum is the perfect place for the discussion. You're sure to hear lots of great insights from our members. And maybe you'll get some new inspiration to start your own journey.

*** I'm talking about The TomorrowMen, not Meshugga Beach Party. MBP makes decent money, but I've had to sacrifice any dignity I might and wear a ridiculous outfit a be a bit of a clown onstage. A well executed novelty act always has the potential to do better than original music. Maybe that's for you?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Great post Danny.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

Great post Danny.

Indeed! Well put!!