Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Surf rhythm guitar

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Rondo1 wrote:

"Try takin' the horn out of your mouth once and while".

Amen, all musicians could learn that sometimes a little space in music is okay.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Back in the late 70s, I was mentored by a guy who took Rhythym guitar VERY seriously. He would often put on an album, and we'd sit and listen to it, and he'd ask me what I heard. We'd sit there and dissect it.

Two of his favorite band to use as tutorials, were early Doobie Brothers (With Pat Simmons and Tommy Johnston) and Wishbone Ash. (Andy Powell and Ted Turner) What I heard was a lot of finger picking going on. Originally, I had no interest in learning how to finger pick, but when he told me that was the only way I'd ever properly play (with a pick and fingernails) the intro to "Blowin' Free", he had my attention.

Needless to say, I got that technique down pat, and have been doing it almost 40 years now. It's so deeply ingrained in my psyche, that I do it whether I'm playing lead or rhythym. We may not normally think of finger picking when we think of Surf Rhythym guitar, but it's good to know, no matter what genre you're playing.

YMMV

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Reverbenator wrote:
Two of his favorite band to use as tutorials, were early Doobie Brothers (With Pat Simmons and Tommy Johnston) and Wishbone Ash. (Andy Powell and Ted Turner)

Wishbone Ash with Andy and Ted released an all instrumental album "Nouveau Calls" in 1987. I must have listened to it 500 times. It was followed by another CD that was mostly vocals but had several magical instrumentals. These were classic rock style. Often the lead guitar was the quietest instrument in the quartet, but it got my focus.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

I have them both, and listened to them, A LOT!!
Are you aware of the boxed set they have out? It features some obscure early 70s footage, as well as footage from the 'Here To Hear' tour. Good stuff. (Ted is a heck of a Steel Guitar player, as well.)

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Last edited: Apr 09, 2017 21:45:47

Reverbenator wrote:

I have them both, and listened to them, A LOT!!
Are you aware of the boxed set they have out? It features some obscure early 70s footage, as well as footage from the 'Here To Hear' tour. Good stuff.

For me Wishbone Ash was the best part of the "Night of the Guitar" concert videos from about 1990 produced by Miles Copeland. I bought these on VHS tapes. Few of their vocals resonated with me. Their instro "Real Guitars Have Wings" motivated (?inspired) my new surf guitar recording "Flying Guitars" you can hear on my band website Insanitizers.com

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017 13:09:48

I just checked out your clip. Nice.

It is somewhat ironic that we land up here, talking about Instro/Surf Music, with all of its genres and sub-genres, and all of the different influences that put us here.

All of these great guitar players and bands, who have nothing to do with Surf Music, and yet they influence the way many of us play it.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Reverbenator wrote:

All of these great guitar players and bands, who have nothing to do with Surf Music, and yet they influence the way many of us play it.

Thanks for listening. From Andy Powell's example I bought a Cort flying V guitar. I supposed that its distinction is mostly shape, but I learned it is about overdrive. I was more than glad to sell that guitar.

Another overlooked hero of the rhythm guitar for me was Danny Whitten who played with Neil Young and Crazy Horse. I learned a lot listening to "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere" back in my youth.

My first good guitar was a Jazzmaster (the Strat got away, but that's another story). After my first guitar, a horrible cheap Japanese guitar (Winston), it was a revelation. A friend taught me how to raise one finger on a barre chord and have it became a minor. That was a biggie. Then I learned how to make 7th chords! I wanted to play songs as much as I wanted to play lead, so I learned chords. I liked to sing, too which helped.

Playing my new Jaguar I'm finding myself playing full chords and progressions like I did back then which is more appropriate for surf music. I've come full circle.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

For rhythm guitar, placement of your amp is a big issue. I've made the mistake of thinking I was low in the mix as my amplifier is blasting to the back of my legs. It's a major help to angle the amp or raise the amp such that your ears -as opposed to your legs - are getting more of the direct sound. Playing for the song in support of the lead instrument is the goal to any good side musician - rhythm, bass, drums.
My favorite surf rhythm is Dal Winslow's sound and playing on the Trashmen recordings.

"Hello Girls!"

Goto Page: Previous 1 2