Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Elbow pain

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hey guys, can you please give me some advice? Whenever I play a Dick Dale style song, my right elbow experiences moderate to severe pain. If I had to guess, I would say it is Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. I don't have the pain when I play other songs, only when I play Dick Dale, etc...

Ivan's trick of covering almost the entire pick with my fingers, so the tip barely sticks out has helped a little. Also, if I intentionally tell myself to relax while I am playing, that helps a bit. I have lowered my guitar while playing standing up, any more and it would be too low for me. Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Seriously, skip the double picking if it hurts. There's plenty else you can do on the guitar. Don't push your luck friend.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Yeah. Give the double picking a rest. It could just be an overuse problem. Give it a week or two, then work back into it. Dont force it. Fatigue is one thing, lasting pain is another.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

ABSOLUTELY REST YOUR ELBOW. DO NOT PLAY THROUGH PAIN.

I played through the pain and it took me out of the game for a long time.

Obviously, you should see your PCP to diagnose what is wrong with your elbow, but I have found this to be tremendously beneficial (no financial interest):

http://www.thera-band.com/store/products.php?ProductID=20

In fact, when I started playing again, my left elbow began acting up. This is when I get the FlexBar. I started using it regularly and my elbow has not experience pain since.

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

Please check out our latest album The Reverbivores Watch TV!

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

How tight do you grip the pick? I know what you are saying, I switched many many years ago and I have so little stress on my fingers/wrist/elbow/shoulder when I double pick. It used to be super tense and I got sore/tired fat.

I've noticed that some folks tremolo pick with a lot of elbow and some tremolo pick with a lot of wrist.

I come from the mandolin and we tremolo pick with all wrist. When I started playing surf, I was tremolo picking with a lot of elbow and - while I didn't injure myself - I was getting tense in bad places and couldn't imagine how I was going to play like this for another 40 years!

I have really focused on tremolo picking from the wrist with the elbow playing a supporting role. I still get tense, but I feel like I'm tense in the "right" places - places that will feel better as I build muscle and learn to relax.

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

Please check out our latest album The Reverbivores Watch TV!

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

Yes, all wrist.

I just picked up the mandolin, what a sophisticated instrument! And you can play fast...

Late to actually playing surf (in my 60's) I can only agree with what's been said above and, thankfully for me, these gentlemen have given this advice before. Being fit on the guitar battlefield is different than debilitating pain just because "someone else" does it a certain way. We are all anatomically different & all those things shoulder-to-wrist are interconnected & have the potential to be in conflict with each other.

Find what works; what works without serious pain is much easier to make into muscle memory. (I do use my wrist and I do get an anchor point.)

Otherwise one of these days you'll do something that requires a fine motor skill out of your trusted picking hand & find you've dumped a scoop of coffee on the counter or dropped Mama's little crystal thingy on the floor because your anatomy betrayed you. Uh-Oh

Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Heat, massage and NSAIDs (e.g., ibuprofen, aspirin) are the usual medical methods. The easy ways of applying heat are often overlooked, such as wearing a sock over your elbow. Choose a sock with a smooth surface to face your skin (turn inside out if needed), and cut off the toe section. Use the entire rest of the sock, not just a short section. Wear it while sleeping and at other times if you can. This sock method has worked quickly for several elbow arthritis and tendon problems I have had, and better than velcro-based elbow supports. Just pick a warm sock, or maybe two socks on top of each other.

Also pick (plectrum) choice can strongly affect effort in rapid picking. I prefer picks that are stiff, very thin, and snap back to shape quickly. Picks that are completely rigid and will not flex at all are tiring and wearing.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017 12:19:10

Thank you so much for all of the advice in this thread. I will take each and every recommendation seriously. I do believe that I hold the pick too tight, I need to relax my grip and arm on a more consistent basis.

I also need to use with my wrist more and let my arm play more of a supporting role. I have been using BioFreeze, but maybe I should try something with heat and cold instead of only cold.

Special thanks to Squid for the sock idea, genius! the shape of a sock fits the elbow perfectly. I haven't played guitar for months because of my elbow injury, I keep thinking it's healed, then I pickup a coffee mug and yahoo!

I'm using Fenbid Forte 10% Gel (Ibuprofen) It's a cheap over the counter product, hopefully you can find the equivalent in the states. It works fast and I can recommend it highly.

I've posted this once before, but I'll go ahead and post it again:

One thing that I've done to lessen fatigue/cramping, is to use some 'Sortkwik' ( that's the stuff bank tellers use to get a better grip on dollar bills ) on my thumb and forefinger so I can get a better grip on my pick. You don't need to use nearly as much force to hold on to the pick. I've done this for years, and it works great.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Cannot agree with Danny more on this one!

Seriously, skip the double picking if it hurts. There's plenty else you can do on the guitar. Don't push your luck friend.

I have had some slight pains in the past and if you do not address them they will impact your playing and arm usage more than you would care for!

The Me Gustas
https://themegustas.com

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017 13:10:33

crumble wrote:

Special thanks to Squid for the sock idea, genius! the shape of a sock fits the elbow perfectly.

Get a compression sleeve!

JakeDobner wrote:

crumble wrote:

Special thanks to Squid for the sock idea, genius! the shape of a sock fits the elbow perfectly.

Get a compression sleeve!

Thanks Jake, I've tried a couple of those but they weren't very comfortable long term, I've been using kind of elastic bandage tube mostly. I'm using a sock at the moment and I have to say it's pretty darn good.

I had a customer of mine who is a PT tell me that I have Triceps tendonitis. She gave me some good advice on what to do. I definitely need to make an appointment to see the Dr, though. Would you guys still recommend that Flex Bar? If so, I will buy one this weekend. Btw, that Eric Johnson pick you guys recommended is amazing. It's so much easier now to double pick now. Thumbs Up

Last edited: Mar 03, 2017 16:18:08

Sounds like medial/lateral epicondylitis or golfer's/tennis elbow. It's an overuse injury. I had a bad case of it from improperly loading my elbows during squats. If it tendonitis, it will not go away on its own.

There are two methods that worked for me. Either I did a 5 day ibuprofen protocol taking 800mg x 4 times a day. So, 3200mg for 5 days and stop.

The other method isn't pleasant. It used to be used on horses, called pin firing. The idea is you create an inflammation larger than the subacute inflammation, and in the healing process it will heal the entire structure. You do this by doing high volume chin ups. Video below explaining.

I am not a doctor nor is this medical advice. I'm just a guy on the internet.

Thanks pav, but my pain is on the outside of the elbow in the Triceps area. Have you ever hit your funny bone and it starts to tingle, that is the area of my pain. Jake, I meant to tell you this the other day. Someone loaned me a compression sleeve and I really liked it! I am going to buy one made specifically for the elbow.

Last edited: Mar 03, 2017 17:11:38

Is it the triceps insertion point on the olecranon process? I've had that, and it went away after doing the protocols mentioned above. A round of ibuprofen might do well to flush out any inflammation.

Ibuprofen will have an analgesic effect at first, but the accumulation of taking it for a few days will have an anti-inflammatory effect.

A doctor is going to either inject it with cortisone, which is catabolic to the surrounding structures. Or they're going to tell you it's a surgical procedure. What did your PT friend say?

Also: Are there trigger points you can identify? What kind of pain is it? Does it hurt to full extend the triceps?

Last edited: Mar 03, 2017 17:36:17

Thanks, pavlovsdog. I am doing the exercises that were recommend to me. I am using an elbow compression sleeve, and I am really practicing relaxing while I play. I may start that round of ibuprofen next! Cool

Goto Page: 1 2 Next