Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Jon & the Nightriders Live in Finland 1998

Page 1 of 1

Hey! Quess what I found from the net???
John Blair and friends kickin some ass

Twang & Bop til You Drop!

Wow, great footage!! Thank you!

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Very cool! I didn't know that the Nightriders also had Church Key and Misirlou on their setlist.

John (if you're lurking around somewhere) could you list the tunes you played but never recorded with the Nightriders (or at least estimate how many songs)?

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

I've got a few old setlists around somewhere, but it'd be a major chore to try and quantify all of the material per your question. My approach to covers was to keep them as obscure as possible (we'd very rarely pull out "Wipe Out" or "Pipeline," for example) . The few times we'd play something common like this were during encores. In the case of the Helsinki video, "Banzai Washout" was the closing number for the main set. The other three or four tunes were encore numbers. If I had to guess, I'd say we had maybe 20-30 tunes that were never recorded, which included several of Dave's originals.

One cover, for some reason, specifically comes to mind. We added "Twilight City" by The Vulcanes to our main setlist for at least one European tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnpvRIXJSAI

There was also our instrumental cover of Garbage's "Special" that we also did on one tour. Dave played the lead and did a great job with it (a poor quality soundboard recording of it was added as a bonus track on our "Stampede" CD).

EDIT: I just remembered that we also covered The Shadows' version of "A Place In The Sun" on one overseas' tour. I usually tried to add two or three new tunes or covers each time just for the sake of variety.

BTW, Husky & The Sandmen was the supporting band for that Helsinki gig.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017 19:57:11

I wish more videos of this show would surface. As I mentioned on the FB post it is by far some of the most intense surf I've seen on film. Once I realized that you and Dave were double trem shredding I was just blown away! Stereo trem shred with Dusty in the middle. Those must have been unbelievable shows!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Wow I forgot you guys even went to Finland! Where else did you go on that tour John?

Husky & The Sandmen!!! Damn I love that band. What a bill!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I remember that being our "Scandanavian Tour." If memory serves, we went to Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and I'm sure there were a handful of shows in Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany. I really enjoyed Scandanavia, though; beautiful part of the world. I'm not sure why that Helsinki video only has the very end of the entire set. Maybe the rest will turn up some day.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017 17:10:56

John wrote:

I remember that being our "Scandanavian Tour." If memory serves, we went to Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and I'm sure there were a handful of shows in Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany. I really enjoyed Scandanavia, though; beautiful part of the world. I'm not sure why that Helsinki video only has the very end of the entire set. Maybe the rest will turn up some day.

Do you remember where you played in Norway by any chance?

No, sorry. I don't remember where we would have played in Norway. Tours can be blurs.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Wow that was incredible! Finally got a chance to watch the whole thing. What can we do to find the first part of the set???!!!

That was awsome!

Thanks, Soumi !

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017 19:52:09

Thanks for answering one of my fanboy questions once again, John! Wink Somehow the comparatively large recording output of your bandkept me from realising, that just as with almost every other band, there would be stuff, which never got recorded or released.

BTW I know there is a VHS tape floating around somewhere with a complete Jon & the Nightriders show from the Netherlands. I haven'nt seen it myself, but it is supposed to be very intense. Maybe we will get access to that one too, one day.

"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Theres so many great vids in that guys channel in Youtube! Theres lots of instrumental and rockandroll. If I remember correctly Dick Dale was playing in Tavastia Club in Helsinki just couple of years before John & friends. Those who attended the gig remember still those 2 reverb units hangin from the ceiling and so loud volume!! It was like a heavy metal concert.

Twang & Bop til You Drop!

Great rendition of Banzai Washout.
No better lineup than John Blair, Dave Wronski,
Pete Curry, Dusty Watson.

http://tunefan.com
http://www.youtube.com/tunefan

Simoncoil,

Maybe you're talking about a vid that was recorded in Belgium, back in 1999, at the 'crossroad' café in Olen.
Line-up: John, Steve, Dave & Sam.
It's a full concert indeed.
Some people joining a surf jam at the end of the concert..a.o. Bart & Jens of the Fifty Foot Combo and myself.
Dave remembers that gig as the one he blew King Koen's vox ac30-speaker. Ouch. I should have a copy somewhere. Got to look it up someday.

Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

There are more videos, of course.
Even from the concert from 1981 in Eindhoven.I have at least 4 concerts but when I asked John for permission to uplosd it on Youtube a couple of years ago he said "no" and so I do stick to it.
But I had permission to upload the video of The Apemen who performed at the same venue in Antwerp in 1998 at the Cafe Riviera!
RuediGer

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017 03:27:23

A full version of the concert, from which the 18 minutes in the OP were taken, is now online in two parts of roughly half an hour each. Have a nice weekend! Smile

Whoa... excellent! Thanks for updating this thread!!

Shock Shock Shock

This is great! Thank you, Simoncoil!!! The crowd appear to be wearing cement shoes and head bobbing restraints beyond belief, but otherwise, this is some incredible footage! Thanks for the heads up!

P.S. Dusty. The original ANIMAL on drums Worship

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Page 1 of 1