Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink R.I.P. Jim Frias of the Nocturnes and the Chantays

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

This is very sad news... My deepest condolences to all family and friends.
Fly on Jim!

Salud!

Mark

I only had the privilege of interacting with him once back in my Reverb Galaxy days. He was very humble, open to any gig and a true professional.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

He was always smiling, filling the room with positive vibes and great musicianship...a pleasure to share a stage with.

So sad to hear of his passing...RIP Jim

• Surfbeatnik

This is just the most devastating news. It's great reading all the stories of Jim. He really was the nicest of guys and a most generous musician. He'd fit the bill for a big surf festival down south a good fifteen or more years ago. I'm purdy sure Dick Dale was the headliner. Someone is going to have to remind me of the details on that one.

Similar to so many other reports, he played on a recording with my Fabulous Plank-tones in 2003. And he was often ready to go whenever we played in the Huntington Beach area. The last time I played with him was at the jam session at Don the Beachcombers following the 2013 SG101 Convention. I started into "Harlem Nocturne" and Jim let the melody wail out of his sax in his own classic style all the while engaging the audience by shrinking the proximity between himself and various onlookers in his version of the close-up, (I believe this prompted Martin Cilia to the bass and Lorenzo to the drums). I'd seen him a couple of times since at the various events but always looked forward to another jam with him. I'm so sad to know that's not gonna happen . I'm really going to miss him - he was taken way too soon. -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017 10:56:30

RIP Jim

Nokie wrote:

This is just the most devastating news. It's great reading all the stories of Jim. He really was the nicest of guys and a most generous musician. He'd fit the bill for a big surf festival down south a good fifteen or more years ago. I'm purdy sure Dick Dale was the headliner. Someone is going to have to remind me of the details on that one.

Similar to so many other reports, he played on a recording with my Fabulous Plank-tones in 2003. And he was often ready go whenever we played in the Huntington Beach area. The last time I played with him was at the jam session at Don the Beachcombers following the 2013 SG101 Convention. I started into "Harlem Nocturne" and Jim let the melody wail out of his sax in his own classic style all the while engaging the audience by shrinking the proximity between himself and various onlookers in his version of the close-up, (I believe this prompted Martin Cilia to the bass and Lorenzo to the drums). I'd seen him a couple of times since at the various events but always looked forward to another jam with him. I'm so sad to know that's not gonna happen . I'm really going to miss him - he was taken way to soon. -Marty

'harlem nocturne' that evening gave me goose bumps......it was so good

www.surfintheeye.com

RIP, Jim. I didn't know him well but my wife and I ran into him at several of the Surfin' Sundays concerts, usually the ones in the museum parking lot where we'd chat with him. One memorable time was at Don the Beachcombers on a Saturday night of SG101 several years back where he shared a booth with us. We had a great time that night chatting with him and listening to the music. He was a great guy and one of the friendliest people I've met.

I'm really bummed to hear this news. When I first started playing shows in SoCal in '95, Jim was always hanging out at the clubs and very friendly. He was the only first waver I'd see. And not just once or twice, but every time. And he really liked surf music; didn't have the attitude that it was dumb music they did when they were kids. The last time I remember having a good conversation with him was in 2012 at Don the Beachcomber. He will be missed!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017 15:45:59

The Nocturnes would like to share their stories and feelings about the passing of their good friend Jim Frias...

http://nocturnesband.com/jim-frias-tribute.html

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

Very nice turnout for Jim's graveside service today in Orange. Appropriately, the wind was blowing like mad, along with some soulful sax from Adrian Tapia in tribute to Jim. Surf musicians were well represented by Bob Spickard, John Blair, Dave Wronski, Kurt Steinbeck, Frank Hughes, Tom Potts, Tracy Longstreth---please forgive if I omitted a few others.

Dial up a few Youtube vids of Jim in action, and hoist a glass to another great cat who loved to play, and left us wanting more.

This really made me sad. Jim Frias was a great guy. Proud to say I got to jam with him. Pioneer of the true sound of surf!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

We stand on the shoulders of giants. RIP Mr. Frias.

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2