Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Surf bands that fuse jazz with the surf format?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Just to be clear: I actually like Bill Frisell quite a bit, I just thought that "Guitars in the Space Age" could have been far more interesting, if he had taken a more adventurous approach.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

simoncoil wrote:

Just to be clear: I actually like Bill Frisell quite a bit, I just thought that "Guitars in the Space Age" could have been far more interesting, if he had taken a more adventurous approach.

I agree. Live he did alot more with the tunes and played them more up tempo as well... The pedal steel really works...be interesting to know if there is any pedal steel surf out there?
I was meaning alot of guys I know into guitar don't like him but he is someone I have gotten to really like by listening to him. He doesn't grab you by the throat...

I don't know of anyone who can slip jazz and other influences so effortlessly into surf music like Slacktone.

philjudd wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

I agree. Live he did alot more with the tunes and played them more up tempo as well... The pedal steel really works...be interesting to know if there is any pedal steel surf out there?
I was meaning alot of guys I know into guitar don't like him but he is someone I have gotten to really like by listening to him. He doesn't grab you by the throat...

Phil & Simon,
Frisell is very refreshing, humane and intimate in his paying and it's great to see how despite that he pisses off squares like my brother-in-law... but jazzbos would consider me totally square.
I like what you said about the surf spirit always being a FUN one, punky, juvenile. I will add to the list: NOT ELITIST!
I keep going back to the mid XX-century setting, the urheimat of surf instro. A lot of those guys were jazz players. There were no boundaries as we understand them now, only differing audiences. I recall Buddy Holly had said that, "trad jazz is strictly for stay-at-homes," meaning it was listened to on the hi-fis of the cocktail set while teenyboppers went to dance halls and rocked out. The introduction of the cranked Fender Showman may be the event that broke the link with jazz by virtue of sheer volume. No 'serious' person then would put up with the noise and the hall was filled with very young kids anyway. Maybe the Monterey Pop Festival half a decade later began to seduce self-serious people back into the youth scene's music, and under the influence of short skirts and mild psychedelics, take themselves a little less seriously. Like in a "What's New, Pussycat" kind of way.
I kind of just wish the current jazz scene would do that. I mean, Wynton Marsalis? Please.

Squink Out!

slingshotdragster wrote:

GT Stringer from my home town.

Great playing and tune...

great thread, guys.

Areas where surf and Western music stretch a bit further or wider is really interesting to me. There is an English guitarist called Stuart Hall who always played a very surfy style, but there's bugger all on youtube. I've actually been meaning to upload some of his stuff with drummer Steve Arguelles from the '90s.

I'll second Manuel Galban. That collab album with Cooder is a monster. Can't find the tune I want so I'll post this.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017 17:51:03

My sis in law just turned me on to these guys - The Mattson Two. Described as a jazz duo from CA. Lots of surf influence, especially in the first clip.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Thanks for the heads up on the Mattson 2, they sound great! Here is another one, which even features a short glissando!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Sonichris wrote:

My sis in law just turned me on to these guys - The Mattson Two. Described as a jazz duo from CA. Lots of surf influence, especially in the first clip.

The sound great. Thanks for sending them our direction...

JObeast wrote:

What I was getting at above, which no one seems to think is interesting, is that nowadays serious players known for jazz ensemble playing are open to a whole other songbook that includes what we call surf, etc. They are
freed up from the old Tin Pan Alley / Show Tunes standards and are open to stuff those guys who play only on the neck pickup sneer at. Ribot, Frisell and Cooder are playing with overdrive and reverb without apology. I'm just glad they have been able to dissolve this whole oppressive highbrow/lowbrow dichotomy. The origins of jazz are in some pretty low places. Teenage culture, trash and movie themes are perhaps more relevant to contemporary listeners than Hoagie Carmichael, great as he is.

All good points and I agree with movements from generation to generation with what relevent.

As a jazz player I always wondered why pop and contemporary music from the 60's onwards haven't been used like the old stuff that fills that standards book? That really intrigues me. It could be done while still retaining the essence of jazz.
There must be a reason. I think it's good to be schooled and imbedded in the roots and history of a musical style but just repeating it,even to a high level, becomes a museum...

One the members here put me onto the trio 'Big Lazy' from Brooklyn New York!
They fuse jazz, surf and noir music with rock etc.
Thanks for the heads up Matt. They sound great...found a few live videos and their bio. Been playing since the 80's and the guitarist has studied some pretty heavy duty jazz as well as composed for TV. Great group and mix of music.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017 14:05:49

Since I'm a jazz fan as well as surf music fan, I was quite interested in this thread. After poking around Soundcloud and band websites, I ordered the Expressway Sketches Love Surf Music CD. All in all, the CD effort is quite good. However, since this is surf music done by free jazz musicians, a few of the tunes are quite challenging. Other tunes are pretty much straight ahead surf, with a little more improvisation during solos.

On the web, there was a suggestion that the bass player, Lukas Kranzelbinder, had done a surf opera. I ordered this CD as well. While there is one surf style tune as part of the opera, it is more jazz/rock in Spanish. Thankfully I really enjoy it for what it is.

I hope these guys continue to do surf music releases as well as their jazz.

Rev.

www.revwillis.com
www.willisclow.com
www.slajo.com

wow, I just got the Expressway Sketches--LOVE it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

Great that uou guys got turned onto some new stuff. Any new stuff blending jazz or blues with surf?

JObeast wrote:

I keep going back to the mid XX-century setting, the urheimat of surf instro. A lot of those guys were jazz players.

With some, its the other way around, Larry Carlton started out as a sideman to Eddie Bertrand

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Just found my old copy of Soul Surfin' by Kai Winding. Features Kenny Burrell on guitar. Several surf tunes including their version of Pipeline.

Rev.

www.revwillis.com
www.willisclow.com
www.slajo.com

Hello
This is my first post to SurfGuitar 101. I've spent the last few weeks reading threads and learning along the way. This thread caught my interest
be cause I am approaching surf guitar playing from a blues and jazz background. I find myself going back and forth between a jazz/blues amp setting and a more traditional surf sound. I'm currently working on four compositions that sound good played either way. Reading this thread has inspired me to find a balance in tone between surf and jazz.
I would like to thank all who contributed to this thread for the inspiration

Very cool. Thanks for sharing
simoncoil wrote:

There is band here in Germany called Expressway Sketches, which consists of jazz players dan takes inspiration from surf music. I have heard mixed things about their record though and have yet to see them live. But it puts me off a little, that in their PR stuff they say things like "bringing surf music in the 21st century". Other people have done that long before them.

If you don't mind a little Cuban influences in your jazz surf mix, I would recommend:
Manuel Galban & Ry Cooder - Mambo Sinnuendo
Marc Ribot - Los Cubanos Poalstizos

My latest LP Unknown Creatures by Otitis Media Records is available now on all digital platforms and colored vinyl. Listen and buy here: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/sysmalakian/unknown-creatures
Lessons, tabs and tutorials send an email to sysmalakian@gmail.com

Big Lazy KICKS ASS!.

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Can it be the other way around? A jazzband that fuses surf with their own sound?

Last weekend I saw Bruut play at a local jazz cafe. It is a young jazztrio from the Netherlands with only drums, hammond and saxophone. So no guitar! But it was one of the best gigs I saw this year!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next