Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink If Metal were Surf/Instrumentals and vice versa...

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I’m not exactly running to the cd store to get this but nice work compiling. Maybe for Metal fans growing opening up their horizon?

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Not surf, but nothing beats that:

Not Metal, But Status Quo rocked pretty hard in the 1970s and Rick Parfitt RIP last week. So here they are with the Beach Boys.

Kawentzmann wrote:

I’m not exactly running to the cd store to get this but nice work compiling. Maybe for Metal fans growing opening up their horizon?

Same.

There have been many conversations from die-hards of this community who are also metal heads, and even some traces of it in various modern surf/surf-ish recordings, so nothing new here about the association or linkage.

What I was a bit intrigued by though was how young this guy appears.

It'd be interesting to compile a list of well known 50+ something year old guitarists who proclaim cutting their teeth on the Ventures or Shadows records. That'd be a pretty massive list.

I have to think that same list for those in their 30's/40's would be dramatically smaller. Definitely folks who later in those years discovered them (thanks Quentin), but probably very few learning about those guys when they were in their late teens/early 20's.

So yeah, I mean, that guy I posted videos of/from is only a sample of 1, but I'm sorta impressed for him to be so young (well past Pulp Fiction's expiration date), and to be playing what he does.

I guess my take away is that while this community often feel how relatively small and unknown Surf is, it is probably better known than we appreciate sometimes, even with todays younger generations. They may not all be dyed in the wool surf nuts, but somehow surf/instro is reaching well beyond the few dozen active regulars here ...and that's pretty cool. Well, and some of those metal licks minus the distortion sound pretty sweet too!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Fady wrote:

Kawentzmann wrote:

Same.

There have been many conversations from die-hards of this community who are also metal heads, and even some traces of it in various modern surf/surf-ish recordings, so nothing new here about the association or linkage.

Myself I don't see any correlation between surf and heavy metal other than HM has been popular for years and newcomers to surf adapt their musical influences to it. Surf has it's roots based in old fashioned R&B, Rockabilly or even Glenn Miller for instance.

What I was a bit intrigued by though was how young this guy appears.

It'd be interesting to compile a list of well known 50+ something year old guitarists who proclaim cutting their teeth on the Ventures or Shadows records. That'd be a pretty massive list.

If you're including some British guitar heroes then I can only think of one HM player who openly declares the Shadows as a big influence. Nearly all the others are post-war pre baby boom and influenced by early Rock & Rollers and bluesmen like Howling Wolf. Sure now they are older and appreciating middle of the road music they may tip their hats to the Shadows but back in later 1960s I doubt they would give them much thought. Most of these old rock gods are waiting for knighthood and Cliff and the Shadows are closer to royalty than most.. Don't be fooled by the nonsense.

I have to think that same list for those in their 30's/40's would be dramatically smaller. Definitely folks who later in those years discovered them (thanks Quentin), but probably very few learning about those guys when they were in their late teens/early 20's.

So yeah, I mean, that guy I posted videos of/from is only a sample of 1, but I'm sorta impressed for him to be so young (well past Pulp Fiction's expiration date), and to be playing what he does.

I guess my take away is that while this community often feel how relatively small and unknown Surf is, it is probably better known than we appreciate sometimes, even with todays younger generations. They may not all be dyed in the wool surf nuts, but somehow surf/instro is reaching well beyond the few dozen active regulars here ...and that's pretty cool. Well, and some of those metal licks minus the distortion sound pretty sweet too!

Yeah, sorry - was playing a little loose with the thread topic. I wasn't trying to suggest countless Metal guitarists specifically have learned their craft via The Ventures or Shadows, just how many guitarists in general learned their way in their formative years from some of the more prolific guitar instrumentals of the 60's.

I'm surprised when I see pretty much anyone under 25 today do anything from that era.

This guy just happens to be a metal dude, and we happen to have several regulars who profess a love for metal too. Well, and he seems to hear some similarities in the riff lines or low note rhythmic oriented melodies when you remove the distortion and add a little touch of reverb. I wouldn't say he's completely off the mark there...

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I would say that if it has a quick beat, a groove and a hook then there is a direct line from surf - rockabilly - metal. Based that on my own reasoning Rockabilly and metal led me to the faster surf tunes. The similarities are there it's just how the sound is coloured.

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Fady, sorry my bad. I need to smooth my writing style a little!

I really love certain forms of metal. I really love certain forms of surf music. IMHO, most attempts to mix the two are complete disasters. Same for "punk surf" (for me obviously).

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

crumble wrote:

Fady, sorry my bad. I need to smooth my writing style a little!

All good, my friend! No offense taken here. In fact, I'm just glad to have stoked a little more conversation about the music we love around here Wink

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I don't mean to crap on what this guy is doing... he's obviously having fun and it is kind of cool to see some of these songs played like this. In my experience though "metal surf" and "punk surf" don't float my boat.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

As I observe, Metal is the to-go genre for most aspiring guitarists. The more technical they tend to be, it can provide the environment to express their ideas. It's really nuts and scary what some of those young Youtubers can do. They're always on the look for cool sounds.

Brian wrote:

... In my experience though "metal surf" and "punk surf" don't float my boat.

Maybe that's an inherent symptom of cross-over attempts. For the most part, you'd really have to love and master both genres, and then transcend them to generate something meaningful . That's more than double the (brain and talent) investment.
Beyond the novelty of a sound, most fail to invoke emotion after 1st hearing.

When it does click, it's amazing of course:

Last edited: Jan 02, 2017 13:51:21

Let's not forget that the King of Surf Guitar in the '90s started also describing himself as the Father of Heavy Metal. Whether that has any validity or not, there are clearly some connections that would lead him to make that claim.

Then there is this:

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Historically, is that accurate (the part of the claim) that no act was louder than him (DD) in that period he started with those Showmans?

Ivan, maybe the theme for your next record? Colossal !!! Madeira with bones artwork. I'm losing my mind here, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 02, 2017 14:06:22

DreadInBabylon wrote:

Historically, is that accurate (the part of the claim) that no act was louder than him (DD) in that period he started with those Showmans?

Ivan, maybe the theme for your next record? Colossal !!! Madeira with bones artwork. I'm losing my mind here, sorry.

He was probably the loudest act in the venues he was playing, especially in 1963. I'm sure the Beatles put out more decibels in 1964 once they started using those 100-watt Super Beatles. And I've played a couple of the AC50s they used in 1963 and those are as loud as a Showman. Did the Who 1965 onwards put out more sound, oh you bet!

I'm not a metalhead, but the ex-guitarist in The Spoils was, he did a solo surf cover of Ozzy's debut: https://soundcloud.com/daviddidonato2/sets/tsunami-of-ozz

I posted it here a couple years ago, we never did get to play it live. https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/23578/

The Spoils - FB - RN
Second Saturday Surf in Austin, TX - FB

For me the big take away is surf translates into metal better than vice versa. I still like to throw a bit a fuzz in here and there but I do so sparingly and since my surf conversion it always feels a just a bit dirty.
Rimshot

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Syndicateofsurf wrote:

For me the big take away is surf translates into metal better than vice versa. I still like to throw a bit a fuzz in here and there but I do so sparingly and since my surf conversion it always feels a just a bit dirty.
Rimshot

And I'd probably say the exact opposite. The slayer stuff translates into something I'd still listen to. Dirty beach boys still bores me to tears.
Ymmv, of course, and to each their own and whatnot.

Mixing genres has been popular for decades, mostly I tend to like the results. Sure it's blasphemy but I'm not interested in 1963, I'm 61 and old enough to remember it when much of it was new. But like most working musicians I get tired of the SOS and want something new. I love the surf punk bands and the bands that have moved on to rock-intro like my newest discovery the Beyonderers, really Daikaigu should be in this group as well. As for metal, well I'm trained in jazz and classical on piano and never met chops and technique I didn't love. Having said that I don't really relate to it. But keep my ears open regardless.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next