Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink 1,683 Guitarists Play Smoke On The Water

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Stormtiger
Was there a point to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin?

Sabbath's point was to play music heavier than anything that had come before.

Led Zeppelin had no point other than to be as self-indulgent as possible. Stir the Pot

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

CaptainSpringfield

Stormtiger
Was there a point to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin?

Sabbath's point was to play music heavier than anything that had come before.

Led Zeppelin had no point other than to be as self-indulgent as possible. Stir the Pot

-Warren

And there is nothing wrong with either of those, when it comes to ROCK!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

IronMaiden

Brian
Deep Purple is great.

+1
I was just listening to Made In Japan...Blackmore rules.

===>Heh heh. . . and I thought you were going to say you were
listening to Maiden Japan. Wink

I like Deep Purple (especially "Highway Star"--for some reason I
had always thought Judas Priest did that, and I'm sure the Priest were
influenced by it--which is one of the best songs to drive to, IMHO),
although I think "Smoke on the Water" is a bit overrated. (But it
least it DOES mention Frank Zappa and the Mothers in the song!)

Vincent

Is this something you can share with the rest of us, Amazing Larry?!?

Is this something you can share with the rest of us, Amazing Larry?!?

mournblade
Metal was no longer just for bikers and hoodlums--Maiden made it
accessible to nerds (like me!), serious musicians, and all other types
who never would have listened to metal in the first place. (Plus,
their (ahem!) killer album covers designed by Derek Riggs, and
production from the legendary Martin Birch (of Deep Purple, Blue Oyster
cult, Rainbow, and Black Sabbath fame).

Vincent

Dont forget Metallica, DP was a huge influence on them.

Cool my band in 68 and 69 played hush and hey joe---both have the exact c-g-d-a-e pattern to em but hush had the thump thump thump to it be fore it went into the na-na-na-na-na-na-na-e thump mess. the na na na part is c-g-d-a-e---the chorus i think. we played hey joe like the astronauts and roy buchanan-----fast like the astros and slow and burning like roy. never touched the hendrix version cause we didn't like it. it just sounds like i had moved to jazz in the early 70's and had no reason to listen to metal. some of yall had continued to follow metal and are into it. i was listening to al dimeola and john mclaughlin and weather report and larry coryell. yall turned one way and i followed my own path. i admire ivan for not following the recipe for success---got guts and your own mind. but i do too and when several people come down on one guy for having his own ideas----i don't care. so sit back and take a few statements out of context and bend it around for your own delight. i've seen this before on this website, its the only bad thing about the site. so, eat s--t and expire. cuz i don't give a f--k.

I locked this thread for a while because I wanted some cool down time. It is unlocked now.

Surfdaddy...how did anyone twist your words? I'm dumbfounded by this comment. Everyone was being polite with you, and then you come along and tell everyone to eat s--t and die. Real nice. That was a totally over the top and uncalled-for response. You are on very thin ice here.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

IronMaiden

mournblade
Metal was no longer just for bikers and hoodlums--Maiden made it
accessible to nerds (like me!), serious musicians, and all other types
who never would have listened to metal in the first place. (Plus,
their (ahem!) killer album covers designed by Derek Riggs, and
production from the legendary Martin Birch (of Deep Purple, Blue Oyster
cult, Rainbow, and Black Sabbath fame).

Vincent

Dont forget Metallica, DP was a huge influence on them.

<u>_I_</u> influenced Metallica?...cool!

oh wait...you meant DeepPurple...nevermind...

-dp

I don't like jazz or metal but I do like Deep Purple, at least up to Machinehead. Surfdaddy, I doubt that anyone is upset by your opinions but when you phrase it in such a provocative manner you can expect a reaction. I suspect you knew that. Who did the original Hey Joe anyway? It was real fast with a hectic rhythm guitar.
Everyone is over-rated!
Peace

The Leaves had the first hit. They also did 'too many people' on Nuggets.

I'm dismayed by Surfdaddy's consistant provocation. Meds are only excusable so many times, and I recall in the past he promised not to be like this. This is not the type of forum where this attitude is encouraged, there are plenty others that are if that's the style discourse one prefers.

Our goal is to have a full range of members from fans to bedroom players to professionals. It's my feeling posts that display this attitude and lack of consideration drives people away. This is especially offensive when directed towards such an esteemed player as Ivan and the guy who started it all - Brian.

It's not my decision but if it were, I'd ban him from the site.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

CaptainSpringfield

WR
1683 guitars ... 1682 picks ....

So only one person finger-picked it like Blackmore did?

-Warren

Haha right, that guy used a quarter...Hey Ivan you said something to the effect that Blackmore primarily used a stock strat, but wasnt he famous for using a scalloped fret board? (Like Ingwie and John Mclaughlin did much later.)

IronMaiden
Hey Ivan you said something to the effect that Blackmore primarily used a stock strat, but wasnt he famous for using a scalloped fret board? (Like Ingwie and John Mclaughlin did much later.)

Very true. I was thinking more in terms of things that would affect the guitar's tone, but you have a point. I'm not sure when Blackmore started scalloping his necks. I think it's possible he played a more or less stock Strat on most DP material, and only started scalloping around the time he started Rainbow.

One mod he did do during the DP times was that he had somebody machine him a very heavy, thick trem arm and drill out the trem block so it could fit in there. He used to engage in some unbelievably brutal trem abuse when he first started using a Strat (around '69-'70). But after a few years of that he stopped, and had a stock trem arm on his main Strats ever since. And then in late seventies or early eighties he started using replacement pickups, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. I think he also had his tone controls disconnected. Still, all in all, pretty light modifications.

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I read in an interview with Blackmore that an important part of his sound was a reel-to-reel tape deck that he always used as a pre-amp. True?

ok danny----please go ahead. won't hurt my feelings.

Well, I guess surf daddy is history.

tenderfootWell, I guess surf daddy is history.

Oh well...
he ask for it.
many times.

Joel

Goto Page: Previous 1 2