Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink Using REAPER for recording

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hi Guys.

I have recorded quite a bit in the past with an old four track recorder then tried going digital a few time with struggling success with programs including ProTools in recent years. The version I had used an external box and key for the program and was a nightmare to get working. To be honest recording felt like it would never come together.

But early this year I had to record some of my wife's original music and someone suggested Reaper. I had never heard of it. But took the leap due to desperation. Within an hour we had recorded and doubled vocal tracks and a complete song! I find it very intuitive. But am interested in if others are using it and how they have found it? Also any good tutorials on the program itself as well as using digital drum programs.

I was hoping to connect with someone down the track with it to be able get some tips on buidling tracks in it and handling it as I am looking to start doing more serious recording.

For some reason I was stuck on Pro Tools as being the way to go. Does it really matter? Do you guys think there is a similarity between programs once you learn one?

A bit longwinded but thought I would paint the picture of why I am asking.

Nothing wrong with Reaper, lots of people love it. Since you have it I say stick with it.

1st.: All DAW's sound the same.
2nd.: Reaper is very good.
It's the most powerful out there, in terms of stability (under heavy memory/CPU use), function and extendability.
Nothing PT or any other DAW can do that Reaper won't. PT is NO LONGER the 'industry standard'.

One caveat for some people is that there are many ways to accomplish the same goal(s), and the workflow is entirely up to you. I personally like it and won't have it any other way.
The UI is getting quite old fashioned, but you can customize most of it to your liking, and there are some magnificent themes.

I highly recommend going over the manual back to back, you'll have the confidence to tackle any audio task, and learn the scope of the program's actions and capabilities.
The Reaper forum is the second nicest place on the Internet. Really helpful and upful.

Any specific help you need, you can ask me.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016 11:09:14

I just got started in recording and am using Reaper. Dont know if you have looked at the Reaper website (www.reaper.fm) but there is about a lifetime supply of very informative videos on the various aspects of using the program. Check it out.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

They are a small company based in San Francisco, I believe the guy behind it all had a hand in the Sony Vegas video editor. I've had it on my PC for over a year and it still offers me updates even though I haven't paid a penny for it, If I used it more often I'd gladly pay £40 for it.

I know a few EDM guys, they all know each other and pass work around. Pretty much without exception they all use Logic, if you ask about Pro Tools they'll make a face and say something about Logic being compatible with Pro Tools ..they really don't like it much though.

The developer is the guy who created Winamp (the first 'cool' audio player), and sold it to AOL for millions. Then, he INVENTED Gnutella, the 1st host-free file sharing network. That's some amazing credentials, and Reaper IMO is no less revolutionary, with its 10MB installer.

Those EDM guys are only MAC fanboys. Too many great tools these days to disregard. Albeton and Cubase are still biggest in that niche I believe.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016 12:40:30

DreadInBabylon wrote:

Those EDM guys are only MAC fanboys.

Ha yes! Back a few years a pc would only run 8 tracks before timing errors occurred, an old beige Mac desktop would slaughter a pc for audio. Sure we can all have a studio these days, you pays your money and takes your pick. The guys that have been in it for the long term who started out with an Amiga with 3 seconds sample time, who work 12 hours or more a day 7 day a week. Who develop a flat palm from holding the mouse for so long (one the most peculiar sights!) Those Mac fan boys:) I believe use Logic!

Hi Everyone. Thanks for the input. I am definitely sticking with it now knowing it is pretty widely used. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi Phil. Reaper doesn't usually get many comments on this forum I don't know why. It's great software and you're on the right road imo. If you haven't already, check out the free 1960s Ludwig drum-kit: HERE

Hi Crumble. Yes hence my question as most forums or recording places I check never mention it. You've hit my next question, that I might post as a topic, about good drum software to use and how to learn it? I will check out your suggestion. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ezdrummer 2 is probably the easiest way although i'm not sure it contains surf drum patterns which could be a hang-up. MT Power Drum kit is a free VST drum-kit that works ok with Reaper: HERE

The Free Ludwig kit, once you've found a place to keep the folder (I can't remember where off hand) will launch into Reaper with a click of the mouse. It is a very manual affair though, it quite tough to get sounding sweet.

I have used Reaper for years and it's workflow is great for me. I only tried it back when because it had a full-featured demo that never timed out. It gave me the time to use it and for the $60 bucks or whatever it is now you will not find anything better.

Even the included VST effects are (mostly) good, although they do not have fancy interfaces.

I use Addictive Drums for my percussion and recommend it. The "Black Oyster" kit has many presets that sound pretty authentic out of the box, but you can tweak each drum to your heart's content once you learn it.

If I had any advice for anyone new to drum VSTs, it would be to pay attention to dynamics. Any drum software you choose will sound great nowadays, if you make sure every hit is not at full volume. I use a simple 16-pad midi controller and took some time to practice not hitting the pads so hard.

https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/adpak/black_oyster

Ariel wrote:

1st.: All DAW's sound the same.
2nd.: Reaper is very good.
It's the most powerful out there, in terms of stability (under heavy memory/CPU use), function and extendability.
Nothing PT or any other DAW can do that Reaper won't. PT is NO LONGER the 'industry standard'.

One caveat for some people is that there are many ways to accomplish the same goal(s), and the workflow is entirely up to you. I personally like it and won't have it any other way.
The UI is getting quite old fashioned, but you can customize most of it to your liking, and there are some magnificent themes.

I highly recommend going over the manual back to back, you'll have the confidence to tackle any audio task, and learn the scope of the program's actions and capabilities.
The Reaper forum is the second nicest place on the Internet. Really helpful and upful.

Any specific help you need, you can ask me.

Several points to argue here... but I wont pick any other than to say that NOT all DAWs sound the same. Harrison MixBus is amazing and does not sound like all the rest.

PTPDennis wrote:

Several points to argue here... but I wont pick any other than to say that NOT all DAWs sound the same. Harrison MixBus is amazing and does not sound like all the rest.

So you brought up an old thread in order to set us straight, well go ahead, shoot. I'm not above arguing or admitting to be wrong. Admittedly, I haven't been on top of the newest latest.
I know pan laws differ, and that Harrison is modeled off their consoles so there might be extra processing. Still, different doesn't mean better.
Bits are bits. Show me an example where 2 tracks rendered straightforward don't sum to NULL.

I didn't say any was better or worse... simply pointing out we shouldn't say things that are demonstrably false.

Looks interesting I took a look on https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
they have a manual on Amazon I might get (but its like 70 bucks used? Maybe its with the program on CD -rom ???, but I already have interface with a different DAW program still in the box from last year - been too lazy to fool with it yet.

I found this video - Is this the same one your all talking about here?

Does anyone share tracks on here? - like make a song by different players all over the world trading exported/inported tracks?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 11:58:39

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Looks interesting I took a look on https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
they have a manual on Amazon I might get (but its like 70 bucks used? Maybe its with the program on CD -rom ???, but I already have interface with a different DAW program still in the box from last year - been too lazy to fool with it yet.

I found this video - Is this the same one your all talking about here?

Does anyone share tracks on here? - like make a song by different players all over the world trading exported/inported tracks?

Yeah Reaper is a great DAW. I used it for years before switching to MixBus

I've used Reaper for years and I've never found anything that beat it. They update it on a frequent basis, and anytime I've contacted the programmers with questions they got back to me pretty quickly. I've never used Pro Tools (the closest I ever got was trying to get it to work on my PC, without any success), but I've used plenty of other DAWs and Reaper beats them all IMHO.

By the way, try this site for some awesome Reaper tutorials:

www.kennymania.com/reaper-videos

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 19:13:32

PTPDennis wrote:

I didn't say any was better or worse... simply pointing out we shouldn't say things that are demonstrably false.

You did imply better, and haven't demonstrated anything except your opinion.
Could be that my above statement shouldn't have been that absolute, I'll concede to that. The OP addressed Pro-Tools, so I regarded that and %99 of other DAWs in my answer, 3 years ago...
Did Harrison invent their own unique math?
I too can slap a saturation plug-in on each track and the 2 buss, change the pan law to non DAW standard and voila: difference! Personally I find it a turn off to have it built-in, to not get the same expected result as any other DAW, but for each their own.
Instead of this nit-picky silliness, why won't you tell us why you like MixBus, I'm sure it's a capable program.

Surfing_Sam_61,
The basic manual is more than enough, it's got everything. AFTER you go through it, for tips, tricks and workflow methods, these books can be a nice augmentation, but I find the Reaper forum as well as various other sources (like 1138 pointed out) even better, more accessible and up to date assets. If I were a professional, which I'm not, I'd consider purchasing them nevertheless.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 05:17:27

Thanks guy's ...yeah I will have to look at this more.

Yeah I'm buried alive in music related manuals right now like most of you probably are too as well. It's hard to remember all this stuff as well being the limited time we all have to fool around with it (Do we ever have enough time?). I'm just trying to ramp-up my grasp of all this stuff and be more efficient at it.

I did see where song writers in Nashville use this type of DAW programs and even share files back and forth with co-writers. There are hundreds of song writers doing that now.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next