Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Value vintage jazzmaster ?

Page 1 of 1

Aloha surf gurus
What do you guys make of this.
Almost NEVER see a guitar of this caliber come up for sale in NZ
Guess it roughly translates to about 7 grand USD (which I ain't got in my back pocket )
https://trademe.co.nz/1214927277
Fender Jazzmaster Feb 1959 [first production run]

Is that the ore that asking price ?
Does she look legit ?

Thank you!

The exterior seems legit. You want to see under that pickguard, you want to see the body cavities, and you want to see the neck date pencil(it may not have it).

That serial number seems early for a Feb '59 (but they can be very random). I've had two '59s and both were similar serials.

"First Production Run", I wouldn't call it that. These first runs were in 1958. October, I believe but you see earlier pre-production.

Asking price is a good price if everything is straight up. Especially because you are in New Zealand.

Dobner is pointing you in the right direction. I would add to that by suggesting you look at the dates on the pots for date codes.

One important matter, the case appearance and guitar don't add up- case badly worn - guitar not showing the same wear. Maybe just my retired cop suspicion, but, there are just too darn many great fakes out there and the flakes trying to purloin your hard earned money.

My 1960 (maybe 61) case does not look brand new,(white tolex) but it still looks great.

I also have a 6/60 Strat which I rarely use and it has a S/N of 49600 and I think the neck plates were randomly used all all Fenders? See that question mark, so, I am not sure on that statement.

Vintage Guitar puts a price tag of $6600 to $8200 for a burst JM.

In my opinion, maybe having an old Fender is good for the ego, maybe a collectors item (buying stock would be a much better investment), but any MIM/MIJ JM will sound just as good.

Remember this: So many musicians buy 60's Fenders for the old sound, but, when the sounds were being created in the 60's, those guitars were brand new.

My rhythm player just bought a USA American Standard for $1200 directly from the factory and it sounds no different than my 60 or 61 Strat. Probably even made better.

Amps are a different story. IMO, Fender has not made a good sounding amp since the late 70's.

SurfBeat wrote:

One important matter, the case appearance and guitar don't add up- case badly worn - guitar not showing the same wear. Maybe just my retired cop suspicion, but, there are just too darn many great fakes out there and the flakes trying to purloin your hard earned money.

Lacquered tweed cases are rarely in decent condition. Due to the lacquer they seriously age. The handles are always falling apart on early cases as well.

And that guitar isn't in that good of shape. I mean, it is fine. But there is a ton of check and paint chips on the edges.

My 1960 (maybe 61) case does not look brand new,(white tolex) but it still looks great.

I also have a 6/60 Strat which I rarely use and it has a S/N of 49600 and I think the neck plates were randomly used all all Fenders? See that question mark, so, I am not sure on that statement.

You don't see white/blonde tolex cases in any year except early '63/early '64. Tweed until mid '69. Brown tolex knuckle buster in late '59. Brown non-knuckle buster in late '59 until 1963. Black Tolex from '64 onwards.

It is possible your guitar didn't sell until 1963 and they grabbed a random case out of the back(this wasn't uncommon).

Of which year? A gold guard can fetch into the $9000s.

In my opinion, maybe having an old Fender is good for the ego, maybe a collectors item (buying stock would be a much better investment), but any MIM/MIJ JM will sound just as good.

Most importantly, they play better. A MIJ absolutely won't sound better than an older or even new top-of-the-line model. MIJ pickups and electronics are not very reliable and constructed in a completely different manner. I love some of the American stuff being made, so I'm not going to argue against this, but 80% of vintage guitars feel better.

Amps are a different story. IMO, Fender has not made a good sounding amp since the late 70's.

'63RI Vibroverb is an incredible amp. The Excelsiors are really good low wattage amps. The new '68RI amps are the best they've made since the '63RI.

Thanks guys

It seems reasonably priced and more than reasonably cool.
But any guitar over a few grand is still and imaginary number to me really...

Smile

Jake tackled that well for you and also answered surfBeat's comments honestly, except I believe he meant '59 instead of '69 for the tweed case. I would agree with everything he stated, otherwise. Gold guards were discontinued in late 1959, and with the tweed case, this one is surely correct for early 1959. I would ask to see "under the hood" as well to make sure no unnecessary operations were done.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

JakeDobner wrote:

SurfBeat wrote:

You don't see white/blonde tolex cases in any year except early '63/early '64. Tweed until mid '69. Brown tolex knuckle buster in late '59. Brown non-knuckle buster in late '59 until 1963. Black Tolex from '64 onwards.

To ensure my memory was not fading, I retrieved the sales slip[s] for my 61 Strat: Lopez House Of Music-San Bernardino, 12/11/1961 Sunburst Stratocaster S/N 71xxx; white Guitar Case.

Since I was the recipient of both for Christmas 1961, the white (I call blonde) was available the last month of 1961. I recall I wanted a brown case to match my 1960 Vibrasonic, but that color was no longer available.

Because I've only owned two Strats since then, both acquired within a couple years of each other, and the second Strat came with no case, it is impossible my first guitar, which came with the white case sold in 1963.

Now, my dad had a friend who worked in the Fender shop, so, maybe he fin angled getting the case? That said, I doubt that happened because I wanted a brown case to match my 60 Vibrasonic and I didn't get it.

Of which year?

I was staying on the same page where the photo was posted - 1959.

Most importantly, they play better. A MIJ absolutely won't sound better than an older or even new top-of-the-line model. MIJ pickups and electronics are not very reliable and constructed in a completely different manner. I love some of the American stuff being made, so I'm not going to argue against this, but 80% of vintage guitars feel better.

Jake, I am glad you honed in on this subject because I am duly qualified to address it since I own a 1960 Strat S/N 496xx and the 61. That said, I am not inferring you are not qualified and I respond with due respect.

I have taken both of my Strats down to the Corona Factory on numerous occasions and played almost every Strat made at the factory. I've also played plenty of MIM's and MIJ's. (not referring to the Squire brand) The necks on most of the USA Strats, as well as the MIM's and MIJ'a are far superior to my Strats. The bodies are almost similar with the exception the body on my 60 has a deeper cutaway.

The pickups are similar, but then the pickups are only similar between my 60 and 61. There is no voddoo in pickups; wind em with the same materials, same amount of wraps and vola, a similar sound pops out.

In my opinion, unless someone has a plethora of discretionary money to buy an early 60's Fender, then for anyone else looking for a great sounding Fender guitar, get a MIJ or a MIM, or a USA Definitely buy used to get the best price.

'63RI Vibroverb is an incredible amp. The Excelsiors are really good low wattage amps. The new '68RI amps are the best they've made since the '63RI.

I again speak from authority on the subject of amps. Back in 1996, Bruce Zinky (I may have spelled his name wrong) who ran R/D Fender in Scottsdale, AZ was trying to persuade Dick Dale to turn in his Showman for a Tone Master amp, Fender's top of the line amp at the time. I vaguely recall it sold for around $2400.00

Dick played it and said, he would not use it for a boat anchor.

I had just started playing again after a 20 year absence from touching a guitar and my Showman, as well as Dick's, in my opinion paled in comparison to the Tonemaster. Dick got me a deal on the Tonemaster through a Fender contact ($500-I still have the receipt made out to Dick).

I thought I died and went to tone heaven, until one night I was performing with a guy from England who was playing through a 64 Showman head. I then realized Dick was right-that Tonemaster was best used for a boat anchor.

Now, I will admit, Jake is right on when he states a Vibroverb sounds bitchin. However, from my experience, it is the only new Fender amp made since the late 60's, maybe early 70's that is comparable in tone to a 60's Fender.

But after all this rambling, we all have to admit, tone is in the ear of the beholder. What sounds great to me may sound terrible to someone else and vis-vis.

Lets go have sum fun and play.

Last edited: Dec 07, 2016 21:05:19

I am with SurfBeat. it is a ripoff of a price and can be matched with sound by lots of other cheaper guitars.
Think of it, would you take a range rover on a paper road? no!

Considering where you are, inspect it very carefully. I've had over the years two "Fender" forgeries that were manufactured (so I was told in the Philippines) probably in the sixties. The first one was a "Stratocaster." What gave it away immediately was that the middle pickup was a fake. Later a guy gave me a "Jazzmaster" from that same manufacturer. It was a much closer copy but still pretty poor quality. One of the things that I remember about it was the very shallow stamping of the Fender logo on the tremolo base.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I spent a week in the PI back in 1967 or 68 while on a all paid 12 month excursion of Viet Nam, paid for my by rich Uncle Sam, and from my memory the craftsmen there had a hard time making Lazy Susans and statutes from coconut trees, so, I doubt a Filipino had the resources and tools to make even a fake Jazzmaster.

But without doubt, there is no shortage of fake Fender's out there from everywhere.

Page 1 of 1