Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
267 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
260 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
221 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
154 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
154 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
141 days ago

dp: dude
122 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
77 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
61 days ago

GDW: showman
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

84%

84%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Got me an FRV-1 as a backup for my Gomez G-Spring

Page 1 of 1

Was cruising this site and saw where Ivan P. (my hero) mentioned he uses his for practice sometimes, etc.

Makes perfect sense. I practice a lot and am a bit reluctant to fire up my Gomez several times a day, every day. My thinking is it cuts down on wear and tear.

And you know what? The FRV-1 ain't bad, not at all. Plan on reserving the Gomez for gigs with the FRV-1 on my board just in case.

That's all...

The G-Spring is built for rugged operation.
Power up at will.

Thanks Dario. Suppose I shouldn't believe everything I read about tubes wearing out.

Every time I use my G-Spring I feel like I'm driving a Ferrari.

The G-Spring's construction is solid. You can keep that thing powered on for large amounts of times and you can use it many many many times a day.

-

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016 10:22:51

That would be great Dario. It's been sad to read your posts over the last few months, so I hope this thing will take a turn for the better for you. Good luck man!

Returned the FRV-1. Nothing wrong with it, it was just redundant with the Gomez. No comparison really.

Yep!

The Scimitars

Craftsmanship wins out! Why drive a Ford when you have a Ferrari in your garage?

Squink Out!

Anyone with a tube reverb, who gigs, would be wise to build himself a little box with the Surfy-Bear in it. In a case of failure, it would be a matter of a quick change of cables.

Otherwise,
Heh!
Big Grin Dead Reverb Dead Reverb Dead Reverb

You know that feeling, when switching (immediately) from a real reverb to a digital one? (stepping down...)
Like when your first crush said "No"... Like when you come out of the club to find the van gone.
That pit in your stomach, that sinking feeling. Alienation and despair. Might as well go listen to Gary Newman. Might as well make Techno, who cares. Digital death.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016 13:05:33

As someone who plays out live a lot, I have to say that I prefer using a pedal over a tube reverb for a # of reasons.
The #1 reason being most stages we play are small and I don't like taking up room on stage with a reverb unit. It's footprint is almost as big as a small amp and I don't want to worry about moving around and unintentionally kicking the unit. #2 reason- even with a surfy bear, you have a reverb pan that has to be handled with some care or the pan can be damaged. Most of the shows we play are multiple band nights and you only have so much time to set up and break down your equipment. Plus you have other people moving your stuff of knocking into it before and after the set. #3 - when playing live there are many factors that are out of your hands when it comes to the sound of your set-up, that the subtleties of the tube reverb are negated. This includes the overall mix covering up a lot of the frequencies that give the the tube reverb unit its advantages.
A lot of the time the great reverb tone that sounds amazing in a solo setting does not translate well to a band mix, thus rendering the argument that the harshness of a peddle somewhat moot. A lot of the time that harshness is exactly what is needed for the sound to cut through the mix. #4 Most of the time, the audience couldn't care less or notice what your playing through, as long as it sounds good. Just as I have heard people playing through pedals that didn't sound good, I have heard many bands using outboard reverbs that didn't sound great as well. A lot of the time this is the result the person not taking the time to figure out how to set up their sound in relation to the overall mix.

My point is that if you take the time, you can set up a great reverb sound with pedals. In my case I use a Stryman Flint reverb and a FRV-1.
The flint is my main surf reverb but if I want the extra drip, I run the FRV-1 set with the dwell on the low side and the tone high into the Flint and get all the drip I want.

This is only in a live situation.
When it comes to recording, I agree the outboard tube reverb has the the advantage. On both of our CD's I used an outboard 90% of the time.

Again, this is just my opinion. I am in no way saying that my way is the only way that works, or works best.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016 11:01:26

Page 1 of 1