Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Why have The Challengers never made the NSSR Classic Top 101 List?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

The Challengers never making the NSSR Classic Top 101 list puzzles me. I've searched through the sg101 forum threads for them and they have generated plenty of conversation and they certainly have fans here, but why haven't they managed to crack the top 101 list with a track? I believe they have at least one offering that could squeeze in, but the people have spoken and nothing by The Challengers has made the cut. I accept that, but is there a reason? Have they just not delivered the goods, music-wise? Is their checkered history with the Surfaris causing them to be blackballed? Were they TOO commercial? Did they change personnel too much? Are recording rights keeping them off of recent compilation albums?

Their pedigree is good, going all the way back to The Belairs with drummer Richard Delvy. They have one of the first instro surf LPs released. Wikipedia reports “Their debut album "Surfbeat" was the biggest selling surf album of all time and helped bring surf music from California to the rest of the world. ... They also had their own TV show called "Surf's Up" hosted by Stan Richards in '65-66 and appeared frequently on another dance show called "Hollywood A Go-Go." ”

The part about being the “biggest selling surf album of all time” has been discussed on the forums and is suspect. It maybe true for a certain point in time, but it's difficult to confirm. But, in any event, The Challengers sold a lot of records. My personal favorite track is “K-39” and they have other good stuff, but so far, no cigar. Why?

Any thoughts?

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Very simple...it's a voting process. If enough people voted at a high enough position, they would get into the list.
The voting is done on this forum, but also directly to NSSR.
So all it means, that so far, other tunes got more votes.
Ran

The Scimitars

To me, they are just a cover band. Recording tame versions of good songs.

The Top 101; those voting for it are a small sample size and probably pretty limited, from a location standpoint.

This is an interesting and fairly accurate observation, IMO. For some reason, the Challengers do not seem to be as revered as many of the other first-wavers. I'm going to tread very lightly here, as Randy's treasure trove of memories and documentation of the '60's SoCal surf scene is invaluable stuff, but here's my take: In one respect, the Challengers were a lot like the Ventures, inasmuch as they didn't have a lot of original material, but were extremely polished and prolific, and churned out tons of albums featuring their versions of the hits of the day. Their sound was not unlike the Ventures too, IMO. Melodic and polite, without a really aggro reverbed guitar sound. I got to know Richard Delvy a little bit when we interviewed him for Pounding Surf! He was a really savvy guy, and even as a kid was looking for every angle to make it in the music biz. I think by design, the albums were made to sound as commercial and professional as possible. It sounds funny, but I think they may be victims of their own success in terms of their place in the pantheon of first-wave surf stars. When I think of my favorite early stuff, with notable exceptions (Astronauts) it's the primitive and low-fi vibe, the unabashed amateurism, the garage band joy of new, loud music being played by kids for kids, THAT'S the stuff that really shoots me up, and inspired me to play guitar in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I love the Ventures (and the Challengers!), and am not in any way impugning their legacy or downplaying their success (which speaks for itself), but I see the Challengers more in the vein of a lot of those Wrecking Crew surf albums that came out under a dozen different names (heck, half of them probably WERE the Challengers!) in the '60's. For myself, and I suspect a lot of others on this forum, we tend to gravitate towards the DD/Messina/Larry Weed/Eddie Bertrand sound, all of whom got the BIG sound played with abandon, doing mostly stuff they wrote themselves.

This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Nice analysis Matt and I would tend to agree. I love the Challengers, love them, but outside of K-39 what originals are they known for?

The Lively Ones weren't known for many originals either but for some reason I dig them more. They had more "oomph" and were a bit more wild.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

reventlos wrote:

This is an interesting and fairly accurate observation, IMO. For some reason, the Challengers do not seem to be as revered as many of the other first-wavers. I'm going to tread very lightly here, as Randy's treasure trove of memories and documentation of the '60's SoCal surf scene is invaluable stuff, but here's my take: In one respect, the Challengers were a lot like the Ventures, inasmuch as they didn't have a lot of original material, but were extremely polished and prolific, and churned out tons of albums featuring their versions of the hits of the day. Their sound was not unlike the Ventures too, IMO. Melodic and polite, without a really aggro reverbed guitar sound. I got to know Richard Delvy a little bit when we interviewed him for Pounding Surf! He was a really savvy guy, and even as a kid was looking for every angle to make it in the music biz. I think by design, the albums were made to sound as commercial and professional as possible. It sounds funny, but I think they may be victims of their own success in terms of their place in the pantheon of first-wave surf stars. When I think of my favorite early stuff, with notable exceptions (Astronauts) it's the primitive and low-fi vibe, the unabashed amateurism, the garage band joy of new, loud music being played by kids for kids, THAT'S the stuff that really shoots me up, and inspired me to play guitar in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I love the Ventures (and the Challengers!), and am not in any way impugning their legacy or downplaying their success (which speaks for itself), but I see the Challengers more in the vein of a lot of those Wrecking Crew surf albums that came out under a dozen different names (heck, half of them probably WERE the Challengers!) in the '60's. For myself, and I suspect a lot of others on this forum, we tend to gravitate towards the DD/Messina/Larry Weed/Eddie Bertrand sound, all of whom got the BIG sound played with abandon, doing mostly stuff they wrote themselves.

I think you are quite on the mark here, Matt, with respect to The Challengers. I love them too even if they were in a different bag morphing more and more polite and MOR. However,I think the polite thing was different with the Ventures. They went in a sort of reverse route. Their early Fender years never got more energetic than WDR or Lullaby of the Leaves. It is also true that The Ventures never adopted the aggressive reverb sound. They were ten years too old to have that wonderful youthful wild abandon of so many early '60's surf bands. However, they moved from their moderate Fender years to a most unique and original aggressive sound of their own with the over-driven Mosrite guitars. It was a sound that we could never imagine the Shadows, for example, adopting. I think that edgy sound had a significant role in their ability to put instrumental rock records in the charts well into the British Invasion years.
And you were trying so hard to tread lightly! -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015 22:19:29

SG101!
I so appreciate the thoughtful thinkers we have here, who take time to dissect an issue intelligently! Thanks Matt and Marty!

Nokie wrote:

reventlos wrote:

I think you are quite on the mark here, Matt, with respect to The Challengers. I love them too even if they were in a different bag morphing more and more polite and MOR. However,I think the polite thing was different with the Ventures. They went in a sort of reverse route. Their early Fender years never got more energetic than WDR or Lullaby of the Leaves. It is also true that The Ventures never adopted the aggressive reverb sound. They were ten years too old to have that wonderful youthful wild abandon of so many early '60's surf bands. However, they moved from their moderate Fender years to a most unique and original aggressive sound of their own with the over-driven Mosrite guitars. It was a sound that we could never imagine the Shadows, for example, adopting. I think that edgy sound had a significant role in their ability to put instrumental rock records in the charts well into the British Invasion years.
And you were trying so hard to tread lightly! -Marty

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

I was just thinking about the Challeners yesterday after seeing one of
Randy's posts on FB. I was thinking that I have 2/3rds of the cds available and I should get the other ones. Then I thought they are tame
And I never listen to them. I agree with Matt that the younger wilder stuff is what lights my fire.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

What’s NSSR Classic Top 101?

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Nokie wrote:

However, (The Ventures) moved from their moderate Fender years to a most unique and original aggressive sound of their own with the over-driven Mosrite guitars. It was a sound that we could never imagine the Shadows, for example, adopting. I think that edgy sound had a significant role in their ability to put instrumental rock records in the charts well into the British Invasion years.

I thought it was unique that all it took to turn The Ventures into The Ventures 2.0 was moving the bass player into the lead guitar spot. That was a real boost without a change in personnel. And Nokie loved experimenting with pedals and the band wrote songs based around them--2000 lb. Bee, Pedal Pusher. They had arguably the technically best player the instro scene produced.

hm! my judgement is based on the one lp i have of them ... go sidewalk surfin'. i think that this is an album second to only a few (if not necessarily none) of the original lps of that time (compared to the trashmen, the sentinals, the lively ones, jerry cole and the spacemen and so on ...). most of them feature a lot of covers, true- still "skinned shin" is not a bad original, and so is quite some others. and - aside from the fact that they were quite successful - they were associated with the huge rick griffin Smile

i like the challengers Smile
yours wolfi

http://www.surfgrammeln-san.org
https://www.facebook.com/BaluUndSurfgrammeln
http://greencookierecords.bandcamp.com/album/coming-out-soon-los-chicharrones-del-surf-10

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015 20:23:10

In the early 1960's there were dozens of surf music cover bands playing dances every weekend in SoCal. We all wanted to hear and dance to the same songs, so they all covered the same songs. Some bands like the Challengers rose above the field by recording albums essentially covering the surf hits. So, for some, all you needed to buy was one LP and you had all the hits. This was cheaper than buying a lot of LPs by the original bands just for one or two hit songs. An important exception was Dick Dale's Surfer's Choice on which every track was popular for those of us that showed up at the Rondezvous and Harmony Park Ballroom each weekend.

Happy Sunsets!

Kawentzmann wrote:

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/27064/

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

The first Challengers LP I nabbed was "The Challengers" (Vault LP 100). It was the second surf album I purchased after "Surfbeat '80" (Jon & the Nightriders) in that same year, 1980. The Challenger's album was an excellent introduction to the first wave as they faithfully covered many of the key surf/instro tracks of the era. I still remember hearing the low rumble of the first track - "Bulldog" - coming out of my console stereo. That was a great thrill.

"Hello Girls!"

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015 13:05:59

I agree with Matt and Marty 100%. But, I also wonder why K-39 isn't part of that list. It's a cool song that is smack dab in the surf genre, unlike several other songs on the list. And, It's a bit better than several surf tunes that did make the list.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Sonichris wrote:

I agree with Matt and Marty 100%. But, I also wonder why K-39 isn't part of that list. It's a cool song that is smack dab in the surf genre, unlike several other songs on the list. And, It's a bit better than several surf tunes that did make the list.

Yikes, K-39 didn't make it?! That is definitely an oversite. It has been covered by many of the 2nd and 3rd wave bands.

"Hello Girls!"

I was about to say it wasn't an oversight, then I remembered that there can't be more than 200 original classic surf songs. And I looked at the list, yikes...

JakeDobner wrote:

To me, they are just a cover band. Recording tame versions of good songs.

+1, what Jake said. I was thinking exactly the same thing, he beat me to it. They were a good, but not great band of their era, IMO.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015 15:00:19

Kawentzmann wrote:

Shock

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015 15:30:42

I'm gonna throw this out there, I thought the Challengers were super boring until I got a vinyl copy of one of their records. Much more energetic than any of the CDs I had obtained, felt like I finally "got it".

That said, they're far from my favorite 60's instro band, and they don't have enough specialness to them that I would expect them to be somebody else's.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next