Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink School me on 61-63 Showman heads.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

What's the differences between a 61 vs a 63 Showman head? Looking to pick one up from these years and thought I'd ask the experts first.

No difference between a '61 and '63. In 1960 there was a slightly different version with different tubes that is quite rare. Perhaps you are asking the differences between brownface and blackface?

So, the 1960-'63 Showmans are from the Brownface era of Fender amps. Careful not to call them blondes, as there are blonde blackface amps. (there are only two amps that had blackfaces and retained the brown circuit and these are very rare). 1964-67 are the Blackface era.

Brownface amps have more mids to them, a thicker tone, break up slightly earlier than black face amps, and have different tremolo circuits. Also, the Brownface has a 'presence' knob(reduces the gain in the output stage and just cleans the amp up/makes it 'tighter').

Blackface amps are described as cleaner and with more sparkle.

My attempts at the why these things are different(I am not an technical expert on amps).

The tone stack/circuit changed. More of the blackface amps circuit goes to ground(the added mids tone control) and this thins the amp out and puts focus on the 'scooped mids' you may have read about.

It uses harmonic tremolo(it pulses the lows and highs offset). The optical tremolo of the blackface does the entire signal at once. The optical trem can also be kind of weak sounding, where the harmonic tremolo is very full sounding. Blackface trem can sound awesome, but does need maintenance over time.

I actually have a 67 Dual Showman, just looking to perhaps going older.

I wasn't sure if the circuitry was indeed different on say a 61 versus a 63 as the 61's have the 'oxblood' cloth. Do the 61-63's all have the same tolex? I see some that look a lot more whiter than others, not sure if they're different or if time has made them appear drastically different from each other.

Same amp, same color tolex. Oxblood grille '60-62, wheat in '63. Some wheat in 1962 but it is rare and I don't think Showman amps ever got gold grille until blackface when they started using the smooth blonde.

Very few out there, very expensive. Good luck if you choose to pursue one.

There are 3 kinds of Showman amps to look at (without the later models):

• 6G14
  • 6G14a
  • AA763

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The 6G14 is VERY hard to get and I think is what Dick Dale uses. The 6G14 and 6G14A (both considered brownface) have a different preamp circuit. They have that typical mid ranged tone and presence knob, which is missing on the AA763. Also what Jake said about the different tremolos is spot on. Good luck finding one.

The Hicadoolas

Yep, VERY hard to get. It has 6L6GC power tubes.

Last edited: Sep 06, 2015 01:31:03

From the 6G14 to the -A you can almost see Mr. Fender tinkering to get rid of the mid-range girth that, ultimately, many seek. In fact, for one example, very few amps kept that 15K tied off from the bass pot later on (BF Champ still has it); that 6.8K value became part of "the Fender tone stack" at an early point in schematics I've seen. As Jake points out, what the Presence does is another deal as well.

If I had a need for such a thing, considering what they go for, I'd just go find a Gomez.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

So is only a 6G14 considered as brownface, or is the 6G15A also a 'brownface,?

The Hicadoolas

SanchoPansen wrote:

So is only a 6G14 considered as brownface, or is the 6G15A also a 'brownface,?

In my mind, the circuit designation is different than the cosmetics of the control panel or the color of the tolex. Bandmaster 6G7 combo, 6G7-A '61-'63 went to head/cab, different coverings, but both brown-faced control panel. (6G7-A nearly identical to 6G14-A except for power. Just from refs I've collected over time.) There are cosmetically brown & black reverb units from the period, but all 6G15 circuit.

What's a 6G15A?

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Ups. Typo. 6G14A

The Hicadoolas

SanchoPansen wrote:

Ups. Typo. 6G14A

Ahh. Yes, they both had brown control panels.
(but different animals inside)

I don't know how much these differences manifest themselves at low-volume really. I think the "girth" or "blossoming" of a Showman really comes when it's cranked. Someone with a really critical ear probably hears it. Jake mentioned in one of his Jag posts to not discount the importance of subtle changes in the cap values & things; that's pretty good advice I suppose. (I can just see Mr. Fender, after hours at a venue, hearing something approaching any distortion and going back to his office with pencil/paper to "fix" it.)

Wes

How different are the 3 circuits? Assuming I stumble upon a Brownface will I still be searching for the coveted 6G14?
Is there a noticeable difference between 6G14 and 6G14a?

N0_Camping4U wrote:

How different are the 3 circuits? Assuming I stumble upon a Brownface will I still be searching for the coveted 6G14?

If you mean electronically, there are small little differences in the evolution that apparently had importance to the designer. Not just in the tone stack but in the way the Presence function is handled. And, of course, by the 763 circuits they were adding a Mid control to the Vibrato channel.

I think the answer is to play the amp that gives you the sound that's in your head.

Is there a noticeable difference between 6G14 and 6G14a?

I don't think those original 6G14's had nearly as long a production run before Leo tweaked the design. It was, by all accounts I've read, a pretty on-the-fly process based on musician input. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually played both. I'd wager most of the Showman amps extant are 6G14-A's.

I missed a Surfer that was in my local store for about a millisecond before it was snagged for stupidly low money, I don't think they understood what they had; maybe I should've gotten up at 5:00am instead of 5:30. It's Surf Green goodness still haunts me... Argh

Back to the NSSR Top-101 countdown rerun & happy thoughts. Cool

Wes

I guess I'm lucky because I have a 6G14 Dual Showman, a VERY early (12/61 KK date code) one. I've had it for nearly 15 years, courtesy of my pal Eddie Katcher. Until reading this post I wasn't aware that there was much difference between the 14 and the 14-A.

I also have a '67 Dual Showman blackface that Eddie K recovered in Blonde for me back in the Dark Ages. Back then Larry Rodgers ( www.rodgersamplifiers.com/ ) was making perfect reproductions of brown faceplates for the later blackface Showmans and Bandmasters...before the Fender lawyers put an end to that.

So, do they sound different? Yes!

But they both sound great. The brownface and blackface Showman sounds have already been described accurately here so I won't repeat what has already been said other than that the simple version is that the brownface is warmer and more "musical" while the blackface is more aggressive with more headroom before what others are calling breakup. But neither amp really breaks up like a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb on "8". A brownface Showman when cranked is more of a "pushed" sound (which is a good thing!), not really classic distortion. It is easier to hear than to try to explain.

The volume and tone controls on the brownface amps I've played through are also noticeably more linear than the ones on the blackface amps.

When I was gigging regularly with the X-Rays back in the late '90's - early 2000's, both these amps were used primarily for bass and they worked very well for that. I liked the '67 blackface better for playing live and the brownface was better in the studio. Either amp would work fine in either setting, though.

For guitar use, the tube-driven tremolo in the brownface Dual Showman and especially in my '62 Pro amp is as good as tremolo gets. No pedal I've tried is quite the same but some of the boutique ($$$) ones can get pretty close. I'm not a pedal-flavor-of-the-week kind of guy, my old Demeter Tremulator is a very good trem pedal. But when I need to record tremolo, out comes the brownface Pro amp. That thing plus a Fender tank may be the perfect studio amplifier for instrumental surf music.

Not sure why I'm doing this but very soon I'll be converting the Dual Showman cabinet from bass use back to guitar specs with a pair of freshly reconed D-130F's. I no longer need a big-ass guitar rig but nothing else sounds like a cranked Dual Showman with a pair of JBL's and a Fender reverb tank. It will be fun to light it up occasionally to rattle the windows and watch the pictures on the wall rotate.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Sep 06, 2015 21:40:02

WoodyJ wrote:

before what others are calling breakup.

Breathing is also a word I've used in the past, to describe that pushing.

Thanks Jack for the benefit of your post, great reading. Also, thank you both for the fine descriptive terms; as mentioned, easier heard than described.

Wes

WoodyJ wrote:

I'm not a pedal-flavor-of-the-week kind of guy, my old Demeter Tremulator is a very good trem pedal.

Another hat-tip due, thanks. Was researching briefly after you mentioned it, which led to stumbling over one for somewhat of a pittance at a yard sale today (the old console stereo in the driveway had been gutted but at least it got me to pull over). This is a reeeaally nice little pedal. Perfect to finish off the little grab & go board for the BF Champ. Quieter than my CVR's on-board tremelo by quite a bit. (And so glad I saved an old 9V barrel to 1/8" plug adapter in one of my basement drawers.)

Wes

I refer to that "pushed" sound as urgency. The main thing that I've noticed between the "61" and "62" Showman electronics were two fold. Leo changed the 500K volume pot to 1 meg, maybe to increase input circuit gain and maybe to help with high frequency response and he changed the values in the presence circuit's negative feedback. Once again, probably to increase the amp's gain a bit. It could have all been smoke and mirrors though to make the amp appear to get louder with a lower volume control setting. My "62" (14A) still requires a lot of pot swing to get it really cooking. The blackface ones come out smoking, practically right off the bottom.

One of the fun parts of point to point amps is the potential for tweaking..........ah.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Woody, what do you mean you don't need a big ass guitar amp...........are you feeling alright?

Love,

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

My '67 blackface Dual Showman has a very subtle increase in volume on the "vibrato" channel. Literally I can play a low volume show on 3 or 4 on that channel. But it gets louder and LOUDER the higher i turn it up. The volume is there, just not immediate.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next