Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
309 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
302 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
263 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
196 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
196 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
182 days ago

dp: dude
164 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
119 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
103 days ago

GDW: showman
54 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jagmaster with Jaguar bridge & tremolo?

Page 1 of 1

I scored a Vista series Jagmaster for cheap. It needs a new pickguard and I'm not sure I like the Strat tremolo. What are my options as far as bridge/tremolo systems (ex: Jaguar). Found this pic online:

I want to hear Caravan with a drum solo.

From Luckytown Customs, I followed them as they created/modded that guitar. That Supro though... drool...

You would need to rout the body to take a Jag/Jazz vibrato. At which point, you'd need to fill the current vibrato in, drill new holes for the bridge, and then refinish the guitar.

This would be costly, and destroy any value the Jagmaster has. You could get a finished body from MJT for $350, a unfinished body from Guitar Mill for $180(and finish it yourself). Add in the cost of the vibrato, bridge, and pickguard and you are looking at $500 easy to mod this.

If you like the Jagmaster, keep it and play it and it will treat you good. But don't do any irreversible mods to it.

If you really can't live with the vibrato system, sell the guitar. An ebay listing with quality photos and a great listing will get you $450-500. You could then score a used or new Lacquer 60s Jag/Jazz for $900-1000, or a Classic Player for $600.

I can't see why Fender or anyone else would rout a JM body for a Strat vibrato when anyone who plays offset Fenders would prefer the Jaguar/JM tailpiece hands down as the more responsive and stable system.
But once a body us routed, there is little chance of getting it back to 'flush' and you may as well sell it to someone who likes it that way.

The whole recent Fender 'modified' thing really rubs me the wrong way - mixing and matching Leo's design features in a way I find most promiscuous and disrespectful of the original designs. It's as though they are afraid of losing market share to garage builders and amateurs. Leo and his design team already thought through all the design permutations before they marketed the classic Fender axes.
The resultant concatenations lack the characteristic voices of the original designs. The standardized and stereotypical sounds of modern rock are the result and the bastard designs are marketed for that - fashionable gear without distinctive voice for a music market with a wide middle ground of interchangeable artists. Call me a snob but a PRS guitar would suit that mass market as well as any 'modified' Fender.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015 01:05:29

Yeah, routing and whatnot would be a shame. Think I may just go with single coils, new pickguard and new saddles (graphite?)

I want to hear Caravan with a drum solo.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:24:50

Page 1 of 1