PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
241 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
220 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
188 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
182 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
143 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
76 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
62 days ago

dp: dude
43 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake June Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink How did you come up with your band name?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

There are a lot of interesting and creative names for the varied surf bands on this site. I bet many here would be interested in how one determined, or why one chose, the name of their band. I’ll start.

Being a bunch of surfers ourselves, and knowing we would appeal more to a surf crowd than not, we chose the name CUTBACK. For those who don’t surf, a Cutback is a surfing maneuver where you reverse the direction that you are surfing in one smooth fluid move. Since our music covers a wide range of surf songs, from the early days of Hank Marvin, Dick Dale, the Ventures, etc., to the more modern songs of Davie Allan, Gary Hoey, The Ventures 2000 etc., and to our own edgier original instrumentals – we’re always doing Cutbacks and reversing direction between past & present.

Between songs we “talk story” as the Hawaiians say and explain the meaning behind many of the songs. This really gets the crowd going and helps the non-surfers get into the vibe. So, switching between the different generations of songs and switching between the varied narratives, we’re constantly changing direction – or doing Cutbacks. (I’m not sure how smooth and fluid our maneuvers are, but that is another subject.)

CUTBACK

The 'Verb...

Well, I wanted something that could be easily spelled by the local press (having seen some baffling typos on my previous bands The Delusionaires, the Vodkats, and the Del Spektros -- Orlando doesn't exactly boast a high caliber of journalism...), and that sounded familiar enough that folks might at least THINK they'd heard of us somewhere... And watching "Leave It To Beaver" one night, it hit me that the hapless Larry Mondello was as appropriate an icon as any (a tubby loser kid always getting in over his head & saying exactly the wrong thing -- it's like we were separated at birth...). And thus... The Mondellos.

And yes, we're not the first band to be named the Mondellos, but hell, take it up with the fifty or so rockabilly bands named Rocket 88 out there...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007 21:39:13

Well, my "band" (project, actually) name is The Bookhouse Boys. It is the
name of the secret society in the t.v. show, Twin Peaks. When I first
started fooling around with the guitar (circa 1990), I was going for a
rockabilly feel, a la Duane Eddy, The Cramps, and Johnny Cash. Of
course the twangy music of David Lynch's longtime music partner, Angelo
Badalomenti, was an inspiration, too, particularly his music from the Twin
Peaks soundtrack (and, in particular, the track, "The Bookhouse Boys").

I thought the name was cool, and could be used for any number of
retro-style musical genres, including rockabilly, surf, and rock and roll.

Whatever.

Vincent

Is this something you can share with the rest of us, Amazing Larry?!?

Lava Rat is "Taraval" spelled backwards. Taraval is a street in SF that runs to the beach, and there was a crew of surfers back in the '50s that surfed Ocean Beach who were widely-known badasses. They surfed the frigid waters without wetsuits or leashes, and were supposed to tear it up in a major way. We hope to tear it up like they did, except musically.

~B~

SurfBandBill
Lava Rat is "Taraval" spelled backwards. Taraval is a street in SF that runs to the beach, and there was a crew of surfers back in the '50s that surfed Ocean Beach who were widely-known badasses.

Dude, that's awesome. I thought "The Lava Rats" was a cool enough name out of context.

Being the drummer for The Torquays for the last 13 years...I have seen our band name misspelled, mispronounced and misunderstood in a wide variety of ways…

The Torques, The Torguays, The Torkers, The Torqueys, The Turkeys, The Turnkeys, etc.

Jerry, the guy who started our band way back when…did what so many others did…named the band after a tune. Ours was by The Fireballs, of New Mexico.

I guess a lot of bands over the years have taken their name from tunes while others named their tunes after bands?...

• Surfbeatnik

The Mariners name came from two of the same places...the Mariner IV Mars space probe that was launched in 1963 which was also the inspiration for The Ventures' "Mariner No. 4", a song that was on The Ventures Knock Me Out album...which they released shortly after we formed The Mariners in late 1964. We were originally The Jaguars for a short time, but never performed using that name.

AcoustaSonics was named after Eddie's and Mike's Fender acoustic guitar amps.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004, 2024-)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

We though 'Lifeguard Knifefight" suited a song I had written pretty well, so I used it as a song title. At the time I was only writing and recording songs 'sans-band.' After I put the band together and they started learning my tunes we decided that we needed a name and Lifeguard Knifefight sounded pretty cool. I still have yet to see one, though I am keeping my fingers crossed for this summer!

I decided I wanted to have something with "aqua" in the name. I thought of "aquatudes" and googled it - nothing out there so far, so I reserved "aquatudes.com" immediately. Like some of the others here, I'm a one-man instro-band so far. Now all I need are a bass-player and a drummer to make it real.

http://www.aquatudes.com
http://www.facebook.com/theaquatudes

Since we had trouble agreeing amongst ourselves about a name, on our first unofffical gig (a party) we had a contest to name the band, and we chose the name that we liked the best out of that pool: The Sand Devils.
I have many band names reserved for fantasy "future" bands, in order to prevent such a situation from happening again.

Ran

The Scimitars

In 1983 I had a little rock band made up of fellow DeVry students. One day we were noodling around and the guitar player (I was the drummer) started playing "Walk Don't Run" and the rest of us all joined in, leading me to proclaim (jokingly) that we should call ourselves the "Surfonics" (Surf + electronics)
We didn't.
Fast forward to 1993:
I had started a little trio with some friends and we were looking for a name. I wrote a bunch of names down, including the name "The Surfonics" and that was the one we all liked best. We weren't really even a surf band per se at that point, but after naming the band The Surfonics it was only natural that we proceeded in that vein. There was no internet at the time so it was not as easy to find out if someone else was using that name, so I was a little miffed when I found out a few years later that another band had used the name Surfonics, but they had changed their name to The Reverbs so I decided to keep the name I'd thought of almost 20 years earlier.

Katz Karnaby came from an episode of the Gerry Anderson show "The Thunderbirds" It featured a lounge band named Cass Carnaby who played a song with subliminal messages that were used by enemy spies. We were really big Thunderbirds freaks so the name stuck.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

No, we don't surf, we are chicken of the sea...

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: May 02, 2007 11:14:03

What is a Reventlo, anyway? No one knows for sure, but some say that the band copped the name from playboy/racecar driver Lance Reventlow, who, if you believe the legend, was the last man to share a brew with James Dean before Dean was sent to hell on a lonely California road. Their music is even harder to pin down, a heady emulsion of every influence they’ve managed to soak up since they first plugged in a guitar. They call it “death-surf/Afro-billy”, and they hope you have as much fun listening to it as they did making it. Together since 1995, and after three albums, one is left to wonder how they keep coming up with new musical ideas. “It’s easy”, says head writer and evil genius Greg Staples. “We steal from anyone. If you don’t like one song, wait for the next---it will be completely different”. Believe it. The Reventlos stock in trade is to take a revered musical form, trash it, then reassemble it into something altogether unique and different. The results can be intoxicating, and you will definitely dig it. As an instrumental band, they often get lumped in with the surf crowd. The purists don’t know what to make of them, and tweaking purists of all genres has become a rewarding by-product of their music. Get a Reventlo CD now, and crank it up. Thanks for listening!
Gaspar du Venchey, Antwerp, 2007

We eat hearts, its not really a band name as much as it is a title. people saw us doing our thing one day, and they were all like "eww gross, heart eaters" and i guess it stuck ever since.

in all seriousness, i don't really remember. i think i was just thinking one day of the name "brain eaters" and since that was taken, i thought up the next best thing, which i actually like more anyways. ...at least that's what i think happened. one thing i do remember is i told it to mr. shaun necro about my idea and he was kind of iffy about it, that is until i went and saw one of our favorite punk bands and told the guitarist about my band and how we plan on changing our name, and i was thinking "the heart eaters" and he said he liked that. i told shuan the news and all of the sudden his opinion was changed, haha.

also, we wanted our acronym to be "THE" because we are cool like that. not really, that's just the way it turned out.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

Los Fantasticos
We figured that a little modesty would go a long way!

My previous band, Dead Man's Curve
Well, pretty obvious really.

Los Fantasticos

Hmmm....The Cavefish, my old band, was a nem that our bassist had come up with while Googling surf slang. Apparently a "cavefish" is a pale complected surfer, someone one the beach who obviously doesn't make it out in the sun much. We figured, since none of us actually surfed, it seemed appropriate.

The Major Nelsons came up while discussing doing TV theme song covers. That, and it sounded like it should be a Greco-Roman wrestling move or something - it's more than a half nelson, but not quite a full nesldon, must be a major nelson.

As for the Disasternauts, ask Fez, I came in late to the party on that one ;)

The Disasternauts

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next